shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yeah, this would be pretty much impossible for Ai of any kind to detect, which turned out to be the case, since CCleaner is most likely part of the various Ai training data sets. Basically, there is going to be a super close match to the safe CCleaner, so there is not a chance this will be detected as unsafe. Now, if an attacker packed CCleaner or monkeyed with the file the usual way, that is a totally different story... it would almost certainly be detected by most or all Ai products.
Regardless of Ai, I think VS would have blocked it anyways, because even before the backdoor was discovered, the installer had a rating of 8 on VT. That's enough to trigger a block,right?
I downloaded the file a few days ago, and checked it on VT, and that's how I remember it, anyways.

The real problem is the user. Because if Ai says it's okay, and the bads on VT are coming mostly from weak engines like Clam, then a user like me would probably go ahead and install, since it comes from a known and trusted company.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
BTW, the log still looks pretty good, but it looks like a few people are still experiencing a couple of bugs. If so, please do the following:

1. Start VS 4.05b, and go to VoodooShield Settings / Register, and click the big “Reset Registration” button at the bottom. VS will reset the registration and exit.
2. Uninstall VS, and click “Yes” when it asks if you want to delete the Settings and Logs
3. Reboot the computer
4. Install VS 4.05b
5. You will need to register one last time, but hopefully this really is the last time.

I see there are a couple of other bugs that are not yet resolved, but I will look at them soon, thank you!

This reset registration thing is not for the Region / Conversion bugs?
Those are the only errors I have in the DeveloperLog.log.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Anytime I had an update to CC it came through the GUI and so assumed like everyone else it was safe and I always turned off all my security software including exiting VS. Appguard would have blocked it right away by default. I think VS would have thrown a popup and user decide to block or allow. Most would click allow.
Things are getting sneakier all the time.

P

plat1098

Still haven't narrowed down what Wise Disk Cleaner is deleting or altering with VoodooShield 4.05 to where VS can't make an Internet connection after WDC "cleans." Tried unchecking various sections like Windows and Applications Traces and subsections, but results were too inconsistent for anything useful.

Anyone have a disk cleaner that doesn't mess with VS like that, besides CCleaner? Only have to exit VS and re-open to reset it but still.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Still haven't narrowed down what Wise Disk Cleaner is deleting or altering with VoodooShield 4.05 to where VS can't make an Internet connection after WDC "cleans." Tried unchecking various sections like Windows and Applications Traces and subsections, but results were too inconsistent for anything useful.

Anyone have a disk cleaner that doesn't mess with VS like that, besides CCleaner? Only have to exit VS and re-open to reset it but still.

bleachbit??

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
The last time I used CCleaner it screwed up my computer, that's when I started trying other cleaners and privazer seemed to do the job pretty thoroughly without any issues at all. I have used it ever since, about 4 years. I think it kind of depends on the overall system configuration, I don't fiddle with much of the default windows settings, in fact I use privazer very sparingly.

P

plat1098

You know when you report a problem and then you get this vague feeling you might be the only one with it, lol? Well, I started to get.... The Feeling..... that maybe it was just this PC having this issue using Wise Disk Cleaner and BleachBit on VS 4.05:
vs no int conn.png
So thinking VS was corrupted somewhere, I went to uninstall it and got this error:
vs uninstall error.PNG
So after uninstalling it in safe mode, reinstalled 3.59 and ran WDC twice, and VS prompts for regedit properly both times. Reinstalled 4.05 and the same "no Internet" after running WDC. Back to 3.59 though to be honest, I think I killed my SSD a little today. :unsure:

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Couldn't you do a system restore point? Privazer can create one before deleting anything.
Not only that but I would contend that everyone should be imaging their drives daily. And with Macrium Reflect Free (or AOMEI's free Backerupper) there is really no excuse not to do so. Stuff happens. Even with VS on board, something a simple as a driver update (or Windows update), or a bad software install could prevent your machine from booting up.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
If you need a replacement for Ccleaner go here: Privacy Eraser: 1-click browsing history deletion, PC optimization & more
I did my homework, if you remember I uninstalled Ccleaner right after it was sold to a 3rd party.
I have tried many and Privacy Eraser is closer and on the same level that Ccleaner "was" on concerning quality
and VS leaves it alone and Privacy Eraser will not delete any VS files ;)
I purchased the 1yr to see if I like it. I am buying the lifetime key tomorrow after using this for
3 weeks.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Yes Telos, there is no excuse not to do so. Poo happens. I combine windows backup and a snapshot software for the total warm and fuzzy secure feeling. It's really very simple, just a process we have to be willing to take time for and it really isn't all that, in fact I enjoy it, not insane, not insane, not.......

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I guess there is a bug or I don't know what is it.
I just created these rules for vs in always-on mode and After that, I ran Sophos clean to see how vs can handle it.
But vs tell me the signature is not verified and wants me to decide to allow or block it.
I didn't set anything for verified signatures!so it shouldn't alert me about it!
I told vs to auto allow files if they have just a valid sig and vs must do it I'm wrong?.

Attachments

• 1122.PNG
    1122.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 440
  • 2222.PNG
    2222.PNG
    26.6 KB · Views: 419

ColonelMal

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
When uninstalling VS v. 4.0.x there is a message at the end of the uninstallation process that some elements could not be removed and to remove them manually. What are these elements and where can one find them in order to remove them?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
When uninstalling VS v. 4.0.x there is a message at the end of the uninstallation process that some elements could not be removed and to remove them manually. What are these elements and where can one find them in order to remove them?
Use Search Everything to find the files

voidtools

You'll also need some registry cleaners to clean any remnants of VS. Can start with the regedit from Windows itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.