VoodooShield discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Getting command line popups for AirVPN that I never got with other versions. About 4 or 5 of them.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Got the same message. Neither CCleaner, Everything, nor a visual check of Program Files, Program Data, Appdata found anything.
Then you'll need to go into Windows registry to remove remnants of VoodooShield

Like I mentioned you can start to use the default Windows Regedit to search for VoodooShield remnants

Reactions: ColonelMal

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
A free tool that helps here is Registrar Registry Manager (Home version).
3rd-party registry cleaning tools which check and clean the whole registry may not be able to clean specific registry entries

The default Windows Regedit can remove specific registry entries one-by-one which cannot be removed by aforementioned registry cleaners.

So, you'll need to use those 3rd-party registry cleaning tools first and then follow up by using Windows Regedit to finish the job, if necessary.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Getting command line popups for AirVPN that I never got with other versions. About 4 or 5 of them.
Same here. All related to DNS flushing for the most part. I have 4 command lines whitelisted, but the popups continue.

"cmd.exe" /c net stop dnscache
"cmd.exe" /c net start dnscache
"cmd.exe" /c ipconfig /flushdns
"cmd.exe" /c ipconfig /registerdns

I'm going to try training mode and see if that helps.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
3rd-party registry cleaning tools which check and clean the whole registry may not be able to clean specific registry entries

The default Windows Regedit can remove specific registry entries one-by-one which cannot be removed by aforementioned registry cleaners.

So, you'll need to use those 3rd-party registry cleaning tools first and then follow up by using Windows Regedit to finish the job, if necessary.

Registrar Registry Manager is NOT a registry cleaning tool. It is a registry editor. Check it out. I'd love the full version, but it is too expensive for me.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Use Search Everything to find the files

voidtools

You'll also need some registry cleaners to clean any remnants of VS. Can start with the regedit from Windows itself
Run the uninstaller from windows, then open Regedit, it is a little tedious but I had all VS gone in 10 to 15 min using Windows "find Next" feature in Regedit, A bit of patience is all it takes, screw all the added software just to remove VS, its not needed.
Well maybe if your lazy :p

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
2017-09-20_19h11_58.png

On the desktop shield there are 3 characters below "ON". What are they and how are they triggered? The first appears to be a "U", but the others are either "S", "B", or "8"

When I switch from Default to ALWAYS ON, the characters vanish. When I switch back, they reappear after a few minutes.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
View attachment 167674
On the desktop shield there are 3 characters below "ON". What are they and how are they triggered? The first appears to be a "U", but the others are either "S", "B", or "8"

When I switch from Default to ALWAYS ON, the characters vanish. When I switch back, they reappear after a few minutes.
It is USB

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
View attachment 167674

It is signifying that it has detected a USB Thumb drive plugged into one of the USB ports on your PC / Laptop brother :)
VS also protects your plugged in media from misbehaving (attacking your PC)
PS: adjust your transparency and it would have been very clear that it said "USB" my brother lol....
..Or put down the bong :p

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Installed Voodooshield free 4.05b, no issues so far except this:
View attachment 167675
Do you have your Registration info, it just wants you to register, or did I miss something ?
Enter your info, then press the bottom button to "Confirm Registration" and your all set.
PS: make sure you have allowed it through the firewall.

Last edited by a moderator:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
One issue with v4.05b

Every time I starts up VS will be taking a new snapshot and that blue/red splash screen (autopilot/whitelisting) will appear. This don't happen in v3.59

Any help?

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It is signifying that it has detected a USB Thumb drive plugged into one of the USB ports on your PC / Laptop brother :)
VS also protects your plugged in media from misbehaving (attacking your PC)
PS: adjust your transparency and it would have been very clear that it said "USB" my brother lol....
..Or put down the bong :p
Does the new VS scans the thumbdrive using heuristics or something?

Thanks

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
One issue with v4.05b

Every time I starts up VS will be taking a new snapshot and that blue/red screen (autopilot/whitelisting) will appear. This don't happen in v3.59

Any help?
I havent had that one yet, just the un-registering (repeatedly) but I havent installed this latest yet. I will in the morning, gives me something to do with the morning coffee.

Does the new VS scans the thumbdrive using heuristics or something?

Thanks
Dan can correct me if I am wrong but I believe it does not "unless" something tries to execute, and it is watching the external drive once it indicates "USB" in the Shield.

Reactions: Syafiq

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
Do you have your Registration info, it just wants you to register, or did I miss something ?
Enter your info, then press the bottom button to "Confirm Registration" and your all set.
PS: make sure you have allowed it through the firewall or it shits gremlins :p j/k
Sorry, but in the free version should like this:
Capture.PNG

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Regarding the USB thing

I'm now on SMART mode. When I plug a thumbdrive in there's no USB word appearing. However, when I toggle it to ALWAYS ON mode the USB word appears and when I switch back to SMART mode again then the USB word remains there. Opposite of what @Telos is getting in post #875

Even when I opens a file from the thumbdrive when in SMART mode initially the USB word doesn't appear

A bug?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Regarding the USB thing

I'm now on SMART mode. When I plug a thumbdrive in there's no USB word appearing. However, when I toggle it to ALWAYS ON mode the USB word appears and when I switch back to SMART mode again then the USB word remains there. Opposite of what @Telos is getting in post #875

Even when I opens a file from the thumbdrive when in SMART mode initially the USB word doesn't appear

A bug?
Dan will have to help you, that's above my paygrade... you do know I was playing with you in that post in a respectful manner, just clarifying ;)

Sorry, but in the free version should like this:
View attachment 167676
I don't know brother if this new format Dan has erected requires a registration of the free, the old platform didn't.
I haven't used the free for years, @danb help :) lol
PS: mine does activate in "Smart" mode, I just did it to see, but remember I posted that I havent installed this latest version. Maybe try a reinstall ? or we can wait for the grand pooobah Mr. B

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.