VoodooShield discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
They do expire, you can ask Dan for an extension by mail if you want that.

I got a 2 year in April so that cant be it.

This happened to me also. A link was posted back a few pages to log into your console. In my case I had used up all 10 seats and just had to delete them all and was able to register.

Seems to be something else, my email and password from Dan is not registered anymore, (wrong email or password).

/W

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
It is the same password you use in the GUI to register VS. Did you log into your online console? Otherwise you will need to shoot Dan and e-mail.
If by the online console you mean the login at Voodooshields homepage, that does not work, same there, the mail and/or password is not registered.
It is not a big deal, just wanted to report if it can help in any way, I kind of like the way Dan run this show (y)

/W

gorblimey

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
The problem with whitelisting OS components is that it doesn't actually help as most attacks initiated from whitelisted binaries, including ransomware. Whitelisting is dead.
Any implications for VS?

I'm sure markloman knows what he's talking about, as I'm also sure many people have installed A-Es without first scanning their boxes :sick:. Other than that I have no experience, and even less imagination... Oh. Hang on, I've just realised most of us here are running Windows. Now, what was that comment from so long ago? ... Ah. "Why should I pay for Windows? I can get viruses for free on the internet!"

And yes, I do remember the WannaCry episode... And VS stopping it cold in a highly unethical manner. (FWIW, I don't give a rat's about HOW the threat was stopped, I care ONLY that it was stopped.)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Comment from HMP.A dev: HitmanPro.Alert BETA

Any implications for VS?
Nope none (y)
Unless were looking for boogie men where there are none to be found. Remember that's just one mans opinion,
and from one that would have you using HMPA rather than VS. Sounds like a "grain of salt" moment if I ever herd one. ;)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Nope none (y)
Unless were looking for boogie men where there are none to be found. Remember that's just one mans opinion,
and from one that would have you using HMPA rather than VS. Sounds like a "grain of salt" moment if I ever herd one. ;)
IMHO it was a somewhat bombastic comment that was taken a little out of context. He didn't mean to tell us anything we don't already know. All he meant is that you cannot go and indiscriminately whitelist every process that ships with Windows, if you want to run a tight ship.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Comment from HMP.A dev: HitmanPro.Alert BETA

Any implications for VS?
I have never talked to Mark, but from what I understand he is a smart dude... I wonder if he would be willing to provide a demonstration and bypass VS. He needs to remember though that although VS whitelists most of the OS components, it does not allow these components to spawn new processes, unless the child process is whitelisted... among other protections. VS is not just simple whitelisting software... there is much more going on under the hood.

I see his point though... the smaller the whitelist, the better... then again, offering the absolute smallest whitelist / attack surface is what VS is all about ;). I have been saying this for years... massive local whitelists or massive global cloud whitelists are in my opinion not a very good idea.

Perhaps you guys can talk Mark into trying to have his way with VS, and we will see what he comes up with! He just might change his mind about whitelisting being dead ;).

BTW, the next version of VS will save the Show / Hide setting on the fly (it is already fixed)... sorry about that. Remember how I removed the saving of settings when VS closes? Well, we have to figure out which ones to save on the fly... each setting is super easy to fix, but just have to wait and see if any others are an issue.

Thank you guys!

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
If by the online console you mean the login at Voodooshields homepage, that does not work, same there, the mail and/or password is not registered.
It is not a big deal, just wanted to report if it can help in any way, I kind of like the way Dan run this show (y)

/W
Sorry, I should have mentioned this sooner... ;)

VS 3.59... You can log in to the old crappy console by going to: hxxps://voodooshield.com

VS 4.0... You can log into the new web management console (even though it is not finished) here: hxxps://voodooshield.co

Then just click on account at the top of the page.

The first one is .com and the second is .co. This is all temporary... we will move everything to the .com soon. Thank you for mentioning this!

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
Sorry, I should have mentioned this sooner... ;)

VS 3.59... You can log in to the old crappy console by going to: hxxps://voodooshield.com

VS 4.0... You can log into the new web management console (even though it is not finished) here: hxxps://voodooshield.co

Then just click on account at the top of the page.

The first one is .com and the second is .co. This is all temporary... we will move everything to the .com soon. Thank you for mentioning this!

Hmm, my mail and password does not work on the .co page either?
Do you want me to pm you my credentials Dan?

/W

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Its working for me this AM:
VS_Panel.png

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
I have noticed with the new build, I have no outgoing connections. I used to have two. Anyone else seeing this?

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Judging by the dwindling comments here over the past few days... I'd surmise VS v4 is ready to leave beta.

Reactions: hamo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.