What distribution of Linux do you use?

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Since I replaced my very old pentium ThinkPad for an old i7 950 desktop with two ssd drives and two hdd's I have not used Manjaro anymore.

Last weak I got a second hand M2 ssd (only with 120GB) and bought a m2 to pcie card for a few bucks. Although Windows recognised it, I could not use it as boot drive, so decided it to use that fast drive for my office documents partition.

So I had to find a purpose for the oldest 128gb ssd (on which I used to store office files) and decided to install a Linux distro again.

Because someone on this forum told me that the Parrot OS (developed for pen testing with privacy and security in mind), also has a starters home edition for non-experts, I tried Parrot OS home edition with Mate desktop. ParrotOS has Monthly updates.

Install went fine and for the first time I used tor-browser. Parrot has apparmor enabled, so I did not add firejail. Parrot dropped fire jail, because it provided errors according to their documentation. Firefix has much stronger build in sandbox on Linux than on windows, so added benefit in relation to possible problems is not worth the hassle.

Added BulletVPN using the Ubuntu setup guide after adding VPN to network manager.

So far so good, but program launch on my Parrot/Mate is slower than with Windows10.

Keep you posted

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Update: I am used to Windows to much. I decied to remove one of the old HDD's and use the obselete 128GB old SSD for adhoc backup of office files with free Syncback (and remove Parrot OS)

colin.p

Jan 6, 2022
I bought this refurb computer back in March 2021 that came with win10. This is the first windows computer I have used since XP. I have been using ubuntu in all it's LTS's since Hardy (8.04).
I'm currently running linux on 4 very ancient computers, a Dell 1545 (LinuxLite), two Toshiba laptops (A200 LinuxLite, L300 Debian11) and a Dell Chromebox (GalliumOS).

In 4 years, when MS pulls the plug on win10, I will put some sort of linux on this refurb. That is of course, if this computer lasts that long or I get fed up with MS's silliness and kick windows to the curb sooner.

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
I bought this refurb computer back in March 2021 that came with win10. This is the first windows computer I have used since XP. I have been using ubuntu in all it's LTS's since Hardy (8.04).
I'm currently running linux on 4 very ancient computers, a Dell 1545 (LinuxLite), two Toshiba laptops (A200 LinuxLite, L300 Debian11) and a Dell Chromebox (GalliumOS).

In 4 years, when MS pulls the plug on win10, I will put some sort of linux on this refurb. That is of course, if this computer lasts that long or I get fed up with MS's silliness and kick windows to the curb sooner.
Have you ever considered ZorinOS Lite?

I have seen a really positive feedback from them. The have done a great job customizing xfce desktop for the lite version and it looks amazing IMO.

Zorin is based on UBUNTU so it comes with all the goodies and hardware support ;)

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
It is about a year that I have switched from Elementary to POP_OS and I have to say I am more than happy. In Elementary I was facing with weird issues randomly.

POP_OS is really stable if you are a person who had worked with Mac for more than 10 years and is used to the dock and that environment.

I managed to install Photoshop CC14 (I activated with a valid license) and Microsoft office suite (2016 with an original license) on it using CrossOver. I use Photoshop professionally and I have to say everything but the CC part works and I do not care because I always disable it anyways. Office is also really stable although I use OnlyOffice as my daily driver. IMO this is the best replacement for MS Office with the least incompatibilities when you save something and re-open it in the MS Office.

:)

P.S. the only thing which I hate about POP_OS is it's name !

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
Planing trying nix os for my desktop and hardenedbsd (not Linux )
For my old Thinkpad laptop
BSD family in general is my top and most favorite OS. Extremely fast, very little footprint and SECURE.

I run hardened BSD on two of my servers and I can not be more happy with the performance.

With FreeBSD I had problems upgrading for the next major version. I had very weird issues that even the main developer team had a huge article about and it did not help.

The only problem of BSD as a desktop machine will be the drivers and lack of software. But if you can cope with that or you do not have such issues, I have to say that it is the BEST OS in many ways.

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
I fully formatted my ssd yesterday and installed linux mint cinamon. After 2-3 hours of watching yt reviews and howto's I came to the conclusion that for a newbie user mint is the most appropriate to use. All works fine, the app store (so to speak) is huuuge. Never thought of that, I was allways thinking that linux community are small and linux should be used only by power users. I really like this distro of linux and I think i will stick to linux for a while. I added the google account and surprise! I have all the contacts, mail, calendars etc. Never saw that in windows. All the drivers are well implemented, everything just works. It's a whole lot faster than win 11, I didn't see bloatware, and from my understanding it doesn't need an av, if one installs all the apps that are needed from the app store, right? It even has a firewall which guides you to a fully secured os- let apps out, block all traffic in.

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
I fully formatted my ssd yesterday and installed linux mint cinamon. After 2-3 hours of watching yt reviews and howto's I came to the conclusion that for a newbie user mint is the most appropriate to use. All works fine, the app store (so to speak) is huuuge. Never thought of that, I was allways thinking that linux community are small and linux should be used only by power users. I really like this distro of linux and I think i will stick to linux for a while. I added the google account and surprise! I have all the contacts, mail, calendars etc. Never saw that in windows. All the drivers are well implemented, everything just works. It's a whole lot faster than win 11, I didn't see bloatware, and from my understanding it doesn't need an av, if one installs all the apps that are needed from the app store, right? It even has a firewall which guides you to a fully secured os- let apps out, block all traffic in.
Welcome to the Linux community :D

Indeed Linux mint is great.. they have a really nice and welcoming community as well... you just need to be patient as this is totally a new world.

But have you tried ZorinOS ? The team behind the ZorinOS is also a really serious team and they have a valid business plan. They also have a commercial version which comes with extra features. And in general when a company has a paid version and is earning money from a software that they develope, their work would last longer.

I personally really like how in Zorin they have considered the graphics a lot. For sure this is my personal opinion but an OS should be also nice and Zorin has done a really good job.

I hate it when some users say that they don't like MacOS because it looks too modern and graphical.. why not! Linux and Windows should go in to the same path in that regard!

Fuzzy_Bunny

Level 4
Sep 19, 2019
I'm still waiting for main linux distro. Checked distrowach.com after some time and there is ton of linux distros (top 100) i never heard of. Big turn off for new users if they have to change distros all the time to keep OS stable.

Now imagine one linux distro, all devs would work on. How amazing would that be.

Reactions: Brahman and tipo

wat0114

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
I'm still waiting for main linux distro. Checked distrowach.com after some time and there is ton of linux distros (top 100) i never heard of. Big turn off for new users if they have to change distros all the time to keep OS stable.
For new users especially, focusing on the top ten distros will make things easier.
Now imagine one linux distro, all devs would work on. How amazing would that be.
Agreed, there are too many distros to choose from, although I wouldn't mind seeing the list whittled down to maybe 5-10 quality distros.

Reactions: Brahman and tipo

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
Welcome to the Linux community :D

Indeed Linux mint is great.. they have a really nice and welcoming community as well... you just need to be patient as this is totally a new world.

But have you tried ZorinOS ? The team behind the ZorinOS is also a really serious team and they have a valid business plan. They also have a commercial version which comes with extra features. And in general when a company has a paid version and is earning money from a software that they develope, their work would last longer.

I personally really like how in Zorin they have considered the graphics a lot. For sure this is my personal opinion but an OS should be also nice and Zorin has done a really good job.

I hate it when some users say that they don't like MacOS because it looks too modern and graphical.. why not! Linux and Windows should go in to the same path in that regard!

zorin was my second option. everything that i saw on yt pointed to ubuntu (kubuntu, lubuntu), cinamon (which from my understanding is an ubuntu variation aswell) and zorin os.
the linux experiment and learn linux tv are "guilty" for making me choose mint. I am still wowed by how easy is to find, install and use applications on linux. and how big their software manager is. and with that "wine" app I can`t believe how easy is to use windows apps on linux. (i know that if I want to stay secure, I mustn`t use windows apps).
nice, clean and customized the way I want it.

Screenshot from 2022-02-02 17-22-36.png

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.