Advice Request What extensions would you recommend?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Enzo

Thread author
Aug 24, 2015
Hi everyone,

First of all excuse me if the subject has already been discussed before.

My question is intended to know what extensions you would recommend, differentiating by categories (security, privacy, utilities, etc.)

In this regard, I have seen in the forum topics intended to discuss recommended extensions to block advertising, or as much respect security, but I think it would be good to create a thread with the extensions to consider according to their function.

All this derives because in Chrome and Firefox I have multiple extensions that are sure to be unnecessary, repetitive or worse than other options.

I thank you in advance for any suggestions you make and I reiterate that an "official" thread on recommended extensions would be fine.

Thanks again.

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
So why then not just use uMatrix? It's also more powerful then NoScript and have a better UI

Why more powerful?
Noscript warns the user with a pop-up of the blocked threat.
Noscript also implements ABE:

Noscript has a longer temporal development than uMatrix which usually means greater reliability in preventing / blocking threats and also less hidden bugs.
By Gorhill's own admission, the development of UBO is predominant compared to that of uMatrix:

.....Hill wants to switch to using a maintained list of known offenders that uBlock Origin (UMatrix will support this as well) will process while leaving any other hostname untouched.......

I prefer to have it in my pc Noscript + UBO are a perfect symbiosis.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
If you don't like the GUI in medium mode (like me :D) then use uMatrix which is designed for blocking every elements which give you a lot better control instead of only control JavaScript.
NoScript doesn't only block javascripts, like uMatrix it can block media, frame, object, etc too.
1.PNG

But it lacks the local rule functionality of uMatrix or even uBlock Origin, all the rules of NoScript are global rules which is a big letdown for me and also uMatrix has a much much better and easy to understand UI. I use uMatrix too.

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
@security123

I prefer to use Noscript.;)
You prefer to use uMatrix.(y)
Everyone uses the extension they prefer.
Both provide us with protection from possible web threats.

Don't tell me that uMatrix is better.
It will be better for you (that you are not able to use Noscript to the best of its ability).
Don't deny it, I can understand it from your interventions.

I have been using Noscript for a long time.
I know how to use it well, G.Maone himself taught me.
At my age, changes are difficult to make, especially if it takes time to achieve the same performances.
And then there is also a bit of laziness.

With Noscript I have total control, as if it were an extension of my hand.
With eMatrix it would be like having an artificial hand.

I don't know if you can understand what I mean.🤔

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@Sampei Nihira

You are using so much legacy stuff, that you create an image of a man who is to old to adopt to new technology. Come on you are never to old to learn something new. Let's do something different and try some recent stuff like uMatrix. Give uMatrix a try, you will love its granularity. I use it in a lazy manner (with the small W3Tech hostfile), have it blocking third-party by default and allow the websites I use to visit (I use Opera for for surfing).

When you imagine the protection as a matrix on which the websites are the rows and the content-types are the columns it becomes real easy to create rules by pointing and clicking on the uMatrix user interface. From a user interface design perspective it is brilliantly simple. Anyone who has ever worked with a spreadsheet will easily familiarize with uMatrix.

1579352089691.png

N.B. CSS = stylesheet and XHR = XmlHttpRequest

The rules are listed in a different tab. It is easier to read the rules from right to left: (maybe Mr. Gorhill speaks arabic?) e.g.
* * * block = BLOCK all content OF all websites ON all websites (* = all)
* * image allow = ALLOW image(s) OF all websites ON all websites
com * 1st-party * allow = ALLOW all content OF 1st-party websites ON com websites (e.g. malwaretips.com)
nos.nl ster.nl * block = BLOCK all content OF ster.nl website ON NOS.nl website
* adservice.google.nl * block = BLOCK all content OF adservice.google.nl website ON all websites

My Rules
* * media allow
com 1st-party * allow
net 1st-party * allow
nl 1st-party * allow
org 1st-party * allow
I have omitted the websites I allowed for ease of explanation. With uMatrix I can allow first-party only for some Top Level Domains (in this example COM, NET, NL and ORG). Combined with my Opera Site Setting to block all javascript except for HTTPS://* websites, first-party stuff is much more restricted than with the "Temporary Allow current domain" setting of NoScript.

As @SeriousHoax mentioned you will love the graularity of uMatrix, with one click I can enable all (except websites blocked by W3Tech host file)
bbc.com * * allow
cnn.com * * allow
foxnews.com * * allow
hardware.info * * allow
infosecurity.nl * * allow
nos.nl * * allow
nu.nl * * allow
thewindowsclub.com * * allow
tweakers.net * * allow

When my ultra small blocklists misses an ad or tracker it is simple point and click to block it for the current domain or for all

Last edited:

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
@Sampei Nihira

You are using so much legacy stuff, that you create an image of a man who is to old to adopt to new technology. Come on you are never to old to learn something new. Let's do something different and try some recent stuff like uMatrix. Give uMatrix a try, you will love its granularity. I use it in a lazy manner (with the small W3Tech hostfile), have it blocking third-party by default and allow the websites I use to visit (I use Opera for for surfing).

When you imagine the protection as a matrix on which the websites are the rows and the content-types are the columns it becomes real easy to create rules by pointing and clicking on the uMatrix user interface. From a user interface design perspective it is brilliantly simple. Anyone who has ever worked with a spreadsheet will easily familiarize with uMatrix.

View attachment 232422
N.B. CSS = stylesheet and XHR = XmlHttpRequest

The rules are listed in a different tab. It is easier to read the rules from right to left: (maybe Mr. Gorhill speaks arabic?) e.g.
* * * block = BLOCK all content OF all websites ON all websites (* = all)
* * image allow = ALLOW image(s) OF all websites ON all websites
com * 1st-party * allow = ALLOW all content OF 1st-party websites ON com websites (e.g. malwaretips.com)
nos.nl ster.nl * block = BLOCK all content OF ster.nl website ON NOS.nl website
* adservice.google.nl * block = BLOCK all content OF adservice.google.nl website ON all websites

My Rules
* * media allow
com 1st-party * allow
net 1st-party * allow
nl 1st-party * allow
org 1st-party * allow
I have omitted the websites I allowed for ease of explanation. With uMatrix I can allow first-party only for some Top Level Domains (in this example COM, NET, NL and ORG). Combined with my Opera Site Setting to block all javascript except for HTTPS://* websites, first-party stuff is much more restricted than with the "Temporary Allow current domain" setting of NoScript.

As @SeriousHoax mentioned you will love the graularity of uMatrix, with one click I can enable all (except websites blocked by W3Tech host file)
bbc.com * * allow
cnn.com * * allow
foxnews.com * * allow
hardware.info * * allow
infosecurity.nl * * allow
nos.nl * * allow
nu.nl * * allow
thewindowsclub.com * * allow
tweakers.net * * allow

When my ultra small blocklists misses an ad or tracker it is simple point and click to block it for the current domain or for all

Thank you very much.
I think there is nothing uMatrix has (but remember I should use eMatrix) that I couldn't do with Noscript + UBO.

However if you want to convince me let's do a functionality test.
To be on par with you I run it on W.10.

I'll insert a link:

The aim is to streaming Rambo last Blood (I am not registered).
You will tell me how many seconds / minutes it will take with uMatrix enabled.
Obviously don't cheat you don't have to disable the extension.
A desktop screen is required.

https://altadefinizione.photo/

1000.jpg

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
20 seconds with umatrix........ Just a matter of finding the right filters in umatrix and i'm not a registered member either .

Attachments

• rambo.PNG
    rambo.PNG
    567.3 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Reactions: Protomartyr

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Look at the above image of how i have umatrix set up css and image is in green always, so when i go to a new page most of the time if something is blocked it's either scripts or cookies on an odd occasion frames. Once set like i have it stuff becomes easy champ.
Always remember this umatrix with global rules apply everywhere which can make it confusing, domain rules apply to the page your're on which is better by far, say you go to youtube allow some google stuff, then go to another page that has nothing to do with google but you see some google tabs in umatrix, with global settings some stuff from google will be allowed but with domain settings they will not be allow simple.
Just a small example plus umatrix sees things ublock origin don't see more control.

Last edited:

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
For you to keep it real on this forum comes with a lot of backlash for example (off topic a lil) ablock, ablockplus, ghostery and adguard are simple stuff for simple blocking the only thing is adguard can do it system wide but then here is where it's weak blocking xhr (Fetch), frames,cookies, xss and malware you got to add things to supplement for those inherent weaknesses of adguard, now with umatrix it's not system wide but browser related 1 weakness if being critical, but on the bright side it blocks all the above and more it's just not for lazy people but for people who are willing to learn ( no insults intended just facts) now ublock origin was left last for a reason, here is why, ublock origin has in these symbols ++ -- on certain tabs that stands for many in 1 or 1 host name with similar host so by pressing green or noop on that host you're letting through a few some needed some unwanted stuff but with umatrix that's a no no.
Next ublock has a problem sometimes where u may noop a filter by mistake and it disappears never to see it again (once padlock is pressed) that is annoying and frustrates me, but with umatrix that never happens. When i hear people talk about netcraft, cookie auto delete, bitdefender traffic light, privacy badger, zenmate firewall, malwarebytes guard, emsisoft malware extension and many other add-ons i laugh because i was 1 of those people, just educate yourself and be humble, all things take time whether good or bad. By the way noscript is a great app on firefox, i just find umatrix more fulfilling.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.