Compare list
Antivirus
Internet Security
Premium / Total Security
In-depth Comparison

yuanyasmine

Level 1
Jan 4, 2020
Honestly windows defender is pretty freakin good. I’ve downloaded some stuff off of mildly sketchy sites and if there was malware either chrome would catch it or it would immediately be caught by Windows. I don’t even think it’s worth using money on anything like AVG or McAfee or whatnot. Mainly because once the subscription is out you essentially installed adware on to your computer.

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
1. Windows Defender
2. none
3. none

If and just if:
ESET

Why no other AV solution?
- To be honest I wish I could use Sophos Intercept X Advanced but noooo... Only for Corp. use and Sophos Home Premium is not even close to the configuration then Intercept X Adv. can deliver.

Why just why?
What I like about Intercept X Adv. is that it has a cool Ransomware protections that detects file encryption attempts on your system and cancels the process that does that and restores the file encrypted. Added advantage Deep Learning and lots more...

What is fair about that comparison?
Windows Defender for me as a Home user should be enough with a little muscle from EEK as a second opinion. ^^ - I do not want to suggest ent. solutions. Coz those are hard to come by or super expensive... Plus it adds overhead on the system... WD is integrated and should not pose a threat to Windows Updates that other AV providers did in the past.

To bring it to a close:
The best protection is the user :D

Sincerely
Val.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I've been using only free versions because buying a license for every machine at home is costly for me, and I'd like to avoid those that show popup ads for upgrades, etc. Given that, for now the top three for my PC and others at home are:

1. KSC
2. Avast
3. BD

The problem is that BD slows down my PC, together with Panda and WD. KSC shows popups once in a while, but it's probably because I left "notify about events" enabled.

virusesmaximum

Level 1
Aug 21, 2019
1. Windows Defender
2. none
3. none

If and just if:
ESET

Why no other AV solution?
- To be honest I wish I could use Sophos Intercept X Advanced but noooo... Only for Corp. use and Sophos Home Premium is not even close to the configuration then Intercept X Adv. can deliver.

Why just why?
What I like about Intercept X Adv. is that it has a cool Ransomware protections that detects file encryption attempts on your system and cancels the process that does that and restores the file encrypted. Added advantage Deep Learning and lots more...

What is fair about that comparison?
Windows Defender for me as a Home user should be enough with a little muscle from EEK as a second opinion. ^^ - I do not want to suggest ent. solutions. Coz those are hard to come by or super expensive... Plus it adds overhead on the system... WD is integrated and should not pose a threat to Windows Updates that other AV providers did in the past.

To bring it to a close:

Sincerely
Val.
Windows defender is super easy to pass, recently came a malware that disables Microsoft software making it totally useless.

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
Windows defender is super easy to pass, recently came a malware that disables Microsoft software making it totally useless.

Oh boy.... another "Anti-AV-Free and WD suxxx" guy... I love when ppl say things are "easy to pass" without doing it on a system that is behind a router and so on...

Security is multiple layers and even if WD can be bypassed so are other products too! ;)

So not to put WD as the all in all best solution in the world... It is decent for what it is... A integrated solution to the current OS! The other part of security is YOUR Choice! Ppl can only voice there opinion on what experiences they have. For me is that WD is enough! The rest is up to you... If you dont like it! - dont use it!!!

To bring it to a close:

Sincerely
Val.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.