Advice Request What software have you bought and don't regret!?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

vaccineboy

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2018
I am not sure. If you can give me a link to a website with HLS videos I can try.
Sorry I can't really give out a link. It's a zoom recording hosted on zoom website which requires corporate credential to log in. IDA recognizes that there's a video but can't download it.
But thanks for offering help. I have asked IDA about this since it should become more relevant. Video Download Helper is able to download it so it should be possible to do it in IDA.

Reactions: Cortex and roger_m

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
If not using any of them any longer (even the free ones) translates to regret, then the answer is "I regret every single one of them."

But that's a little bit unfair. Some context needs to be added. Some are good to extremely good, but either not worth the money for various reasons, the configuration overhead is a pain, and\or the annoyances\inconvenience are high enough to deter me from using them. I'd rather just not be bothered. Annoyance and hassle avoidance is probably my top priority - and please tell me where is one exactly going to find that in the IT world by any other means than doing as much as possible as simply as one can ? That strategy starts with not using a bunch of software.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cortex and roger_m

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
You can try Download Master which is basically IDA pro for free, which is only made available for Russian users unless you know this information. Its installer is Russian but the software is in English. Be aware of offers during installation. The developer site is Westbyte.
Another information, I don't use it now but when I did, its chrome extension could only capture videos from handful of popular sites, while firefox extension worked on every sites I tried(not including drm sites like netflix etc of course).
@vaccineboy

vaccineboy

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2018
You can try Download Master which is basically IDA pro for free, which is only made available for Russian users unless you know this information. Its installer is Russian but the software is in English. Be aware of offers during installation. The developer site is Westbyte.
Another information, I don't use it now but when I did, its chrome extension could only capture videos from handful of popular sites, while firefox extension worked on every sites I tried(not including drm sites like netflix etc of course).
@vaccineboy
Hi thanks. Yes you're right. Unlike in Chrome, IDA in Firefox works on every site I've tried, except on zoom unfortunately. It's probably the drm thing. But interestingly, Video Download Helper can get around that.
I've heard of Download Master. Though I'm willing to pay for software if the price is reasonable, like in the case of IDA, as long as it works. I've already let them know. I'll wait and see.

Chuck57

Level 9
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Payment was allowing them to intrude into my surfing habits. Before it was released MS had some kind of survey in which they downloaded a file onto your computer, and monitored your activity for several months. As payment for this intrusion, you got your choice of one of several softwares. Don't remember the others, but one was MS Office 2007 Enterprise. I don't think it was available to the general public.

I let them download their software, ran it for 2 weeks and removed it. A few months later 2007 Enterprise CD arrived in the mail.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.