Battle What Web Browser? - Help me decide!

Compare list
best one is?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
OK, so you are not happy with MS Edge and Brave

FF's privacy is minimal OOB. You'll need to harden to remove connections to Mozilla and Google.

Librewolf is hardened FF. It removes connections to Mozilla and Google. If you relax too many settings in LW then use FF instead. Also, LW is not a mainstream browser, so it may break some sites

You can try Ungoogled Chromium (by Eloston). Read below

Last edited:

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Firefox tweaked for privacy, and you can also tweak the UI. Combine with addons like Multi-Account Containers and uBlock Origin, and settings like ETP strict mode.

For MAC, set various sites to their own or categorized containers, and for default consider pseudo or throwaway accounts.

For the adblocker, you can try it in default and then block any ads or annoyances using elements blocker. You can also experiment and see if activating more user lists helps. And there are help adblockers like Sponsorblock.

Finally, adblockers like Adguard for Desktop can block ads in other apps, like Ferdium. They usually have promos for lifetime, multi-device use.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
For compatibility and ease of use you may want to look at this guide: Firefox Privacy or: How I Learned to Stop Hardening and Love Strict Tracking Protection
If you want to tweak FF yourself you can check these sources:
(Listed in no order of preference)
Yet Another Firefox Hardening Guide | Chris Xiao
Privacy Guide
How to Set Up Firefox for Privacy | avoidthehack!

......Librewolf is hardened FF. It removes connections to Mozilla and Google. If you relax too many settings in LW then use FF instead. Also, LW is not a mainstream browser, so it may break some sites
I've been using LibreWolf a lot recently and have not yet found a site is broken by LW settings - am using it mostly as it is OOTB with just the recommended LW - addons uBO, CanvasBlocker, BitWarden, xBrowserSync. I haven't done any extra about:config tweaks, which I have been doing in FF for several years now, if you're going to use FF I highly recommend reading the tweaks linked to by OldSchool.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I've been using LibreWolf a lot recently and have not yet found a site is broken by LW settings - am using it mostly as it is OOTB with just the recommended LW - addons uBO, CanvasBlocker, BitWarden, xBrowserSync. I haven't done any extra about:config tweaks, which I have been doing in FF for several years now, if you're going to use FF I highly recommend reading the tweaks linked to by OldSchool.
Have you tried LW on banking sites to see whether it works without issue?

Some sites will not work with non-mainstream browsers. Try gmx.com and see. It is a email site

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Have you tried LW on banking sites to see whether it works without issue?

Some sites will not work with non-mainstream browsers. Try gmx.com and see. It is a email site
GMX have long been a problem site, I have an old gmx.co.uk a/c and virtually stopped using it very much years ago because of their cookie demands. I've kept it as a few things were registered with it. I tried both gmx.com and gmx.co.uk urls, both opened OK, but going beyond that by trying to sign in doesn't work, too many script and cookie demands seem to get blocked by LW settings.

I don't use LW for banking normally, but I tried a few financial sites and they didn't work again.

Good for you for highlighting these issues, as I don't access them through LW.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.