Serious Discussion WHHLight - simplified application control for Windows Home and Pro.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Is deleting the old version and when necessary using the new one enough?

Delete the old version and run the new one.
If you want to update FirewallHardening settings (only from the version used in WHHLight package 1004 or 1002), run new FH and apply "Recommended H_C".(y)

Post updated.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It is not necessary. WHHLight ver. 1.0.1.0 and 1.0.1.1 use the newest version of RunBySmartscreen (ver. 5.0.1.1).
thanks, (I may have been unclear)... for clarification, on this VM I had been running standalone runbysmartscreen, probably 5.0.0.0, then yesterday I ran 5.0.1.1 and it opened and I selected to add it to Explorer contest menu. Did this correctly override the previous version and "install" correctly without me undoing or deleting previous version first? (not a WHHLight question)

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
WHHLight vs. Spica attack
(Smart App Control set to OFF)

https://malwaretips.com/threads/goo...w-spica-backdoor-malware.128457/#post-1072430
https://blog.google/threat-analysis-group/google-tag-coldriver-russian-phishing-malware/

The attackers send PDF documents that seem to be encrypted via phishing emails impersonating individuals affiliated with their targets (a tactic first observed in November 2022).

When the recipients reply that they can't read the 'encrypted' documents, they're sent a link to download what looks like a PDF decryptor executable (named Proton-decrypter.exe) to view the contents of the lure documents.

Attack Flow:
PDF lure document (encrypted) ----> emails ----> link to the cloud storage ---> malware downloaded/executed by the user (EXE file)

The malware uses PowerShell to obtain persistence. It is unclear from the article if the malware uses a PS1 script. If so, then the script will be blocked by default SWH settings.
Anyway, the main protection can be applied by SmartScreen or WHHLight WDAC settings. In both cases, this particular malware is blocked (confirmed myself). The Spica sample from the article can be found via Google. The sample never gained a sufficient reputation, so SmartScreen + WDAC ISG could easily block it also as 0-day.
The user could be infected only when ignoring/bypassing the SmartScreen or WDAC alert. Such a scenario is probable when the user is a child or a happy clicker. It can be prevented by setting <SmartScreen Block> = ON, in WHHLight. But, this will require more attention & help from the "home administrator".

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
In WDAC blocked events for EXE and DLL files I have one blocked event that fills the log every minute:
Event[0]:
Event Id = 3077
Local Time: 2024/01/22 20:20:06
Attempted Path = C:\Windows\System32\WebClnt.dll
Parent Process = C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
PolicyName = UserSpace Lock
UserWriteable = false
Anything I can do about that block?

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I have now disabled the WebClient service and hope that that will be the end of those blocks (y)

Disabling WebClient is probably a good idea. I am not sure which applications can use WebClient (maybe SharePoint or Messenger). I think that it is also possible to configure the involved application to skip WebClient (WebDav).

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Disabling WebClient is probably a good idea. I am not sure which applications can use WebClient (maybe SharePoint). I think that it is also possible to configure the involved application to skip WebClient (WebDav).
I couldn't find the involved application, so if disabling WebClient works then that is okay for me.
If not, the search continues...

No other blocks with SWH and WDAC enabled, WHH Light is working great here (y)

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Disabling WebClient is probably a good idea. I am not sure which applications can use WebClient (maybe SharePoint or Messenger). I think that it is also possible to configure the involved application to skip WebClient (WebDav).
@Gandalf_The_Grey , sidenote: on my win10 Windows Firewall Control WFC by default blocks microsoft.sharepoint.exe from connecting, so I assume it is not considered a necessary ms windows component...?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
@Gandalf_The_Grey , sidenote: on my win10 Windows Firewall Control WFC by default blocks microsoft.sharepoint.exe from connecting, so I assume it is not considered a necessary ms windows component...?
IMO not a necessary Windows component for home users, but I have seen it as part of OneDrive and it is used by Teams (for work or school).

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
SharePoint and OneDrive are usually bundled in Microsoft 365 subscriptions:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/sharepoint/compare-sharepoint-plans

SharePoint does what OneDrive can do, and more. Both support WebDav as an option (additional configuration required), for example:
https://www.techstream.at/en/how-to-access-onedrive-via-webdav/

If I correctly remember, it is also possible to set up the computer to sync SharePoint files when using OneDrive for Business (WebDav not required).
As Gandalf_The_Grey already mentioned, SharePoint is integrated with Microsoft Teams - the files shared in Microsoft Teams are stored in SharePoint Online.

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
hey @Andy Ful thanks so much for this!
i'd previously had SWH on my 3 pc's

personal desktop
personal laptop
wfh laptop

but have replaced for hybrid hardening light today as a test....
the first 2 i have no issues
personal desktop
personal laptop

but my wfh laptop (im constantly powershelled (pwsh) 7.4.1 into my works rmm system for api calls, and noticed straight away after running hybrid light, my powershell was in "constrained language mode" and unable to run any of my api scripts using some custom powershell modules, even after whitelisting various paths...... the only way around it for me was to disable "SWH"

which then worked, but i then have to remember to re-enable "SWH" when im done running my API / Scripts

which tbh is too much like hard work....... I'll likely go back to using SWH as i could run pwsh without being blocked with "constrained language"

(understand this is about script signing) but, while i want hybrid hardening and your latest protections......... is there anyway to get around this without disabling SWH of WHHlight totally?

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
hey @Andy Ful thanks so much for this!
I'll likely go back to using SWH as i could run pwsh without being blocked with "constrained language"

Yes, WHHLight is not designed for the use of PowerShell in daily work.
This will be possible in the WHH full version (I will finish it in a few months).

Azazel

Level 5
Jun 15, 2023
Is it possible to add autocheck and auto update functionality in the background.
For example the installer will add a script or small program that checks for updates everyday and auto downloads the new binaries.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.