Advice Request Which block lists do you use with UBO, AG and ABP ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
These are among others the one I'm using from my different browsers FF, Brave and Chrome based.

AdGuard Annoyances

Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list

Top500 most used ad & trackers in West Europe & North America

http : // vxvault . net/URL_List . php

Block-EU-Cookie-#####-List

I don't care about cookies

Online Malicious URL Blocklist

Reduce Google nuisances on search, maps and youtube

Which block list do you use for now ?

How do you cope with the overlapped lists ? Do you compare, cleaned your list ?

Do you make your own customized list ?

Any comment or contribution will be great, thank you all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Thank you so much Lenny_Fox (y):) Great !
What about IG filter or how to block redirect to IG login page ?
IG login page? I assume you are referring to Instagram.

Process to rip rules out of existing filters
Most common annoyances are dealt with in uBO annoyances and or Fanboy's annoyances. Simply enable Fanboy and check whether the annoyance is gone, When not also enable uBO annoyances filter. When both don't solve the problem, bad luck you are out of easy copy-paste options.

I always try uBO-annoyances first, Click on the eye-icon and search for the website you are experiencing an annoyance on, in your case probably instagram
1617863680404.png

Now simply copy all rules containing instagram.com to your My Filters section, repeat for Fanboy's annoyances

1617864004253.png

You will copy a few irrelevant rules (e.g. tetris.com##[href^="Instagram.com"] ), but the 20 rules (containing instagram.com) in both uBO and Fanboy's annoyances are a lot rules less than using the two filters entirely (Fanboy's annoyance filter alone has nearly 50K rules).

Last edited:

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Thank you so much Lenny_Fox (y):) Great !
What about IG filter or how to block redirect to IG login page ?
It's server side. Something to do with IP addresses served. The Best alternative you have is to either login (assuming you have an account) or use an alternate web-UI for Instagram like picuki or something. Replace the instagram.com/<<accountnamehere>> with picuki.com/profiles/<<accountnamehere>>.

I don't use Instagram myself, but I troubleshoot for some folks stuff like this every now and then. It's a big pain in the ass. Some days it just works, others just the first time and the next page you click the server feeds you a 'header = 0' and that is server-side login page redirect as far as i know.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
@SumTingWong

Technically you can turn off and remove quite a lot of filters for redundancy purposes. Most are already part of another list in your setup and gives you no gain in either performance or protection. And most of all you wouldn't notice a difference anyway for the simple reason that '0 filters in use' is the same as wasting bandwidth to check for updates. You can't notice a difference if it literally isn't being used by uBlock in any form or way.

Not trying to be an A-hole here and there are many ways to go at it. Since I noticed so many filters not used by uBlock or overlapping (due to integration) and just being a waste of bandwidth and update checks. I just felt like giving my 2cents. What you do with it is up to you, of course. :D

Under ads:
Adguard Mobile ads - only useful if the device is a mobile device, or you get redirected a lot to AMP or other mobile websites.

Under Privacy:
Easyprivacy and AdGuard Tracking Protection contain many of the same rules, just written differently see [QUESTION ]Spyware Filter and/or EasyPrivacy · Issue #77015 · AdguardTeam/AdguardFilters . Either one will just work fine.

Under Custom there is a 'enhanced tracking list' from Fanboy. You can optionally use that and disable the other two in this category. That one is however known to be more aggressive and prone to false-positives.

Under Malware Domains and Multipurpose:
  • MVPS, Peter Lowe's,
  • Dan pollocks,
  • Online malicious URL,
  • Spam404
Remove those in favour of StevenBlack/hosts which you already have custom imported. Those filters are integrated into that filter (part of its aggregation see it's sources on Github).

Under annoyances:
Go with either Easylist/Fanboy or AdGuard for redundancy purposes. Fanboy's annoyances already contain Easylist Cookie and Fanboy's Social lists. In other words AdGuard Annoyances+uBlock Annoyances (AdGuard social is optional) or Fanboy's Annoyances+uBlock Annoyanes. If you need neither one you can (optionally) enable CookieList or fanboy social individually.

Under Custom:
  • AdGuard Base + Easylist - Remove. Already ticked in the panel under 'ads'.
  • https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/adwarefilters.txt - Remove. Dead link, filter no longer in use nor maintained by Easylist authors, and most likely integrated into they EasyList and -Privacy filters.
  • raw.githubusercontent.comdeathbybandaid/piholeparser/Adware-Filters.txt - Remove. Same list as the other adware filter above, and entire project officially abandoned as of December.
  • Adversity - Remove. Hasn't been maintained since 2016 and overlaps with Easylist ( and AdGuard base).
  • Hoshsadiq/adblock-nocoin-list/hosts and No Coin Filter are the same list. The former is in Hosts format (0.0.0.0) and the other in ABP format. Either one will work, pick one and remove the other.
  • Jabcreations.com/downloads/adblock-filters.php - Remove. It Hasn't been maintained since 2013 and almost all of it is already part of EasyPrivacy and Easylist.
  • AakList (anti-adblock killer) - Your Choice. It hasn't been maintained since 2016 with 1.9K open issues on GitHub. I would remove it, since most websites have already evolved beyond the scope of how that list blocks anti-adblock scripts, popups/-unders. But that is just my opinion.
  • Fanboy's Enhanced tracking - already mentioned. See 'under Privacy'.
If you wish, you could even uncheck AdGuard Base filter under ads. (AdGaurd Base in uBlock panel is the variant without Easylist.)

The example setup based on the pointers I made and your screenshots, would look like this (see image). Just removed redundant filters not used by uBlock due to the overload of other filters. You can however, change AdGaurd Annoyance for Fanboy's Annoyances for example as mentioned above. Also in this Example setup I left uBlock Filters Plus unchecked, as it's already already covered by uBlock Filters, Easylist and EasyPrivacy which is where most of its filters come from, but kept in the setup due do its cosmetic filters. Your Choice on that one.
1617973270348.png

Attachments

• uBlock-Filterlists-only.txt
    2 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Switched again to uBO so added uBO versions of my blocklist to github: LennyFox/Blocklists With Kees1958 most prevalent EU-US I have a whopping total of less than 4000 rules (less is more). In Edge I have anti-tracking on default because in default mode the cookies of tracking servers are blocked (uBO's remove-cookie is by far not up to par with AdGuard's $cookie).

1617991447977.png

@SecurityNightmares giving NextDNS a last chance (when I ever notice lags again I will give up on NextDNS)

@Gandalf_The_Grey you can use this filter also: extra security

Last edited by a moderator:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Switched again to uBO so added uBO versions of my blocklist to github: LennyFox/Blocklists With Kees1958 most prevalent EU-US I have a whopping total of less than 4000 rules (less is more). In Edge I have anti-tracking on default because in default mode the cookies of tracking servers are blocked (uBO's remove-cookie is by far not up to par with AdGuard's $cookie).

View attachment 256708

@SecurityNightmares giving NextDNS a last chance (when I ever notice lags again I will give up on NextDNS)

@Gandalf_The_Grey you can use this filter also: extra security
Thanks, added to the filters (y)
So, now 5 built-ins, 5 AdGuard Optimized, 2 AdGuard Plus filters from Yuki2718 and 1filter for increased security form @Lenny_Fox .

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
@Lenny_Fox Can you check this reported by Sampei Nihira at Wilders ?
Today I did a test with my NM28.
I entered in My filters - UBO these rules:

! Block downloading executable content from insecure HTTP websites

Then I disabled my:

"Online Malicious Domains Blocklist"

in UBO and searched the URLhaus database
for a file with the correct characteristics subject to blocking by UBO:

100.JPG

I regularly downloaded the exe file from HTTP to a folder on my HD D: without any block by UBO:

100a.JPG

There is no outside interference.
I have disabled any DNS intervention.
No AV.
No browser blocking dangerous downloads.
No Google Safe browsing or the corresponding Microsoft functionality.

I recommend that user to replicate the test.
:thumb:

And if it works in other OSes and browsers, put a warning in its list that has no general validity.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@Gandalf_The_Grey THANKS FOR POSTING: IT ONLY WORKS WITH ADGUARD

switched back from uBlockOrigin to AdGuard again :) (uBo was a fantastic one day experience - link for Dutch members)

Check with a safe file (configuredefender.exe) from HTTPS website (Github), see picture
1618143432037.png

Changed file name and added a warning that it only works with AdGuard
1618143596088.png

Reason for testing with a safe file
1618146347625.png

Last edited:

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
@Gandalf_The_Grey THANKS FOR POSTING: IT ONLY WORKS WITH ADGUARD

switched back from uBlockOrigin to AdGuard again :)

Check with a safe file (configuredefender.exe) from HTTPS website (Github), see picture

Changed file name and added a warning that it only works with AdGuard

Reason for testing with a safe file
I don't want to nitpick, because you're doing a great job, but your Adguard rules are specially intended for the Adguard extension. At least one rule doesn't work in Adguard for Windows (desktop): ||*$ping,cookie=__cfduid (in the list Extra security AG).

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I don't want to nitpick, because you're doing a great job, but your Adguard rules are specially intended for the Adguard extension. At least one rule doesn't work in Adguard for Windows (desktop): ||*$ping,cookie=__cfduid (in the list Extra security AG).
Updated thanks (critique is an opportunity to improve), I don't use the desktop app, so I did not know

1618148364810.png

Last edited:

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
uBlock treats it as a doc type in the logger. To block it using uBlock you'd need to enter:
|http://*.exe^$document

It will block the connection and give you an block page saying it got blocked. But the $empty filter never worked for me since it got introduced for executables. Just passes through as if it wasn't there.
gorhill/uBlock there files are used for it internally.

gboss

Apr 11, 2021
Can anyone make any suggestions for what I can do with my list, it looks a mess. I've just added lists from information picked up from privacy forums, as you can tell I'm fairly inexperienced in this.
20210411_142119.jpg
20210411_142203.jpg

Any advice on tidying this up would be very helpful.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I am not even sure there is a definite alternative to uBlock for those rules. Since it works fundamentally different from the AdGuard counterparts regarding this issue. :/

edit:
I get this for any given .exe file on urlhaus, if I enable |HTTP://*.exe^$document in uBlock.
1618152794746.png

1618153060098.png

Granted i have firefox set to always ask me, instead of auto download.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.