Advice Request Which block lists do you use with UBO, AG and ABP ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
These are among others the one I'm using from my different browsers FF, Brave and Chrome based.

AdGuard Annoyances

Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list

Top500 most used ad & trackers in West Europe & North America

http : // vxvault . net/URL_List . php

Block-EU-Cookie-#####-List

I don't care about cookies

Online Malicious URL Blocklist

Reduce Google nuisances on search, maps and youtube

Which block list do you use for now ?

How do you cope with the overlapped lists ? Do you compare, cleaned your list ?

Do you make your own customized list ?

Any comment or contribution will be great, thank you all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Can anyone make any suggestions for what I can do with my list, it looks a mess. I've just added lists from information picked up from privacy forums, as you can tell I'm fairly inexperienced in this.

Any advice on tidying this up would be very helpful.
Are these all recently added?

It may be recommended to reset uBlock Origin to default settings and start again.

How to take screenshots using software, rather than a camera phone.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I wouldn't trust the Nano filters anymore and remove them immediately after the extension was unintentionally or naively sold to malware authors.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
@gboss Follow the advice of @Spawn and start over with the default lists.
What browser do you use? Some browsers have their buit-in tracking protection and then the filters used in uBlock Origin are less important.
Browse your most frequently used websites for a few days with uBlock Origin and the default lists.
What issues or annoyances do you see or have when using uBlock Origin like this?
Then we can suggest or advice (hopefully a few) other lists or settings to deal with that.

gboss

Apr 11, 2021

It may be recommended to reset uBlock Origin to default settings and start again.

Thanks for the advice.

Most of them recently. Everything sseems to work Okay but I'm worried I have duplicated lists.

Reactions: Venustus and Nevi

gboss

Apr 11, 2021
@gboss Follow the advice of @Spawn and start over with the default lists.
What browser do you use? Some browsers have their buit-in tracking protection and then the filters used in uBlock Origin are less important.
Browse your most frequently used websites for a few days with uBlock Origin and the default lists.
What issues or annoyances do you see or have when using uBlock Origin like this?
Then we can suggest or advice (hopefully a few) other lists or settings to deal with that.
I use Firefox. I think I'm just trying to be too clever with these lists, espiecally as I'm basically winging it. My usual websites I visit work great as I've spent time getting them right. Surfing to others is not too bad, if I get a problem I can usually fix it and if I can't I just disable Ubo. I was really hoping that someone would point out that some lists are covered in other lists.

Reactions: Venustus and Nevi

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
gboss said:
I was really hoping that someone would point out that some lists are covered in other lists.
The honest answer is, you enabled way to many blocklists. So either start from cratch (using default settings) or learn yourself how to determine a blocklist is usefull to you. Here are some rules of thumbs to get you going:

1 Disable malware related blocklists
You can disable all malware related blocklists. Your browser has a build-in blocklist (Firefox uses Google safe browsing). When you don't feel safe use a DNS service which has anti-malware blocklists (e.g. Quad9). The malware blocklist you enable are probably also used by most reputable DNS-services. For comparison DNS based blocklists often have millions of domains blacklisted. When you still feel 'naked' install an add-on from a reputable antivirus to deal with malware URL's. URL blocking is a numbers game. The URL/IP-blacklists of DNS-services and AV-companies are much larger than all the bllocklist you can add to uBO.

2. Only use safe and maintained blocklists.
First disable all Nano blocklists (changed owner as mentioned in this thread by other members). Secondly have a look at last update of the blocklists you use. You can safely disable all blocklist which have not been updated for three months. These are probably dead block lists containing a lot of stale rules.

3. Only use reputable and relevant sources for your browsing.
For all blocklists you have enabled not maintained by reputable sources (EasyList or Adguard), check whether these blocklist actually contain rules which apply to the websites you visit (are relevant for you). To do so, write down the 10 most visited websites from you favorites, click on the view icon (eye) and press ctrl+F (find) to check whether that blocklist contains rules relevant for your browsing habits.

4. Consider using optimized blocklists
Adguard maintains optimized blocklist versions of their own blocklists and Easylist. Brave maintains the Easylist blocklist. So your best best for well maintained and optimized blocklists are the Easylist optimized filters from Adguard. When you completed steps 1 to 3 there are enough members here who use those optimized filters to help you out.

5. Let others do the work for you.
When steps 1 to 4 seem to much work or complicated, you could use the blocklists of 1Host and/or Energized. They collect and combine blacklists from several sources with automated cleanup/moderation to remove duplicates and dead domains.

Regards

/L

Last edited:

gboss

Apr 11, 2021
The honest answer is, you enabled way to many blocklists. So either start from cratch (using default settings) or learn yourself how to determine a blocklist is usefull to you. Here are some rules of thumbs to get you going:

1 Disable malware related blocklists
You can disable all malware related blocklists. Your browser has a build-in blocklist (Firefox uses Google safe browsing). When you don't feel safe use a DNS service which has anti-malware blocklists (e.g. Quad9). The malware blocklist you enable are probably also used by most reputable DNS-services. For comparison DNS based blocklists often have millions of domains blacklisted. When you still feel 'naked' install an add-on from a reputable antivirus to deal with malware URL's. URL blocking is a numbers game. The URL/IP-blacklists of DNS-services and AV-companies are much larger than all the bllocklist you can add to uBO.

2. Only use safe and maintained blocklists.
First disable all Nano blocklists (changed owner as mentioned in this thread by other members). Secondly have a look at last update of the blocklists you use. You can safely disable all blocklist which have not been updated for three months. These are probably dead block lists containing a lot of stale rules.

3. Only use reputable and relevant sources for your browsing.
For all blocklists you have enabled not maintained by reputable sources (EasyList or Adguard), check whether these blocklist actually contain rules which apply to the websites you visit (are relevant for you). To do so, write down the 10 most visited websites from you favorites, click on the view icon (eye) and press ctrl+F (find) to check whether that blocklist contains rules relevant for your browsing habits.

4. Consider using optimized blocklists
Adguard maintains optimized blocklist versions of their own blocklists and Easylist. Brave maintains the Easylist blocklist. So your best best for well maintained and optimized blocklists are the Easylist optimized filters from Adguard. When you completed steps 1 to 3 there are enough members here who use those optimized filters to help you out.

5. Let others do the work for you.
When steps 1 to 4 seem to much work or complicated, you could use the blocklists of 1Host and/or Energized. They collect and combine blacklists from several sources with automated cleanup/moderation to remove duplicates and dead domains.

Regards

/L
Many thanks for your detailed answer I will apply this to my set-up. I do have one query, I was aware with the issues of Nano filter lists but the Nano defender in Firefox addons implicitly says 'Any product released as Nano Defender on everywhere else other than AMO and this repository are not related to me!'. He is adamant that his addon works with ubo only in Firefox. He gives detailed instructions on setting up. So, could you let me know if I still need to remove his addon. Thanks.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Many thanks for your detailed answer I will apply this to my set-up. I do have one query, I was aware with the issues of Nano filter lists but the Nano defender in Firefox addons implicitly says 'Any product released as Nano Defender on everywhere else other than AMO and this repository are not related to me!'. He is adamant that his addon works with ubo only in Firefox. He gives detailed instructions on setting up. So, could you let me know if I still need to remove his addon. Thanks.
I am not using Firefox, so can't answer that question based on facts, but when you ask my opinion I would stick to uBlockOrigin.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Source: LiCybora/NanoDefenderFirefox
Important: As of v15.0.0.206, this port has NO RELATIONSHIP to upstream anymore. Any product released as Nano Defender on everywhere else other than AMO and this repository are not related to me! My account on both AMO and GitHub are LiCybora. Note that the product name is Nano Defender for Firefox and Nano Defender Pro on AMO and GitHub respectively, not Nano Defender!
As of v15.0.0.206, Nano Defender for Firefox is independent from any entites or people. Note that the product name is Nano Defender for Firefox and Nano Defender Pro on AMO and GitHub respectively, not Nano Defender!
ND may still be updated, but whether maintain independently from upstream depends on their stance. might be renamed and released as a new product deal to bad reputation of the name "Nano Defender" since Chrome 15.0.0.206 can be consider as malware.
NA and ND with LiCybora as author on AMO or on my GitHub repository are still under my control and independent from any entities or people.
It seems one of the developers moved forward with a Firefox port independent of other Nano Defender company that turned it into well something else. Though he should've renamed the repository immediately in my honest opinion.

But to answer the question. I don't know... I never used Nano AdBlock, defender etc... even when it was still independent (not acquired). My best advice is to disable it in addons and stick with uBlock Origin for a while and see if you need the functionality or not. If the answer is no, remove it. If the answer is yes, there you go.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
For anyone concerned about uBlock Origin and its capability to deal with Google's notorious FLoC browser platform in Chrome, here's one of his recent terse but somewhat comforting Tweets (I follow Mr. Hill on Twitter).

Edit: I snipped the Tweet, the URL wasn't posting properly. Sorry.

gorhill floc.PNG

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
For anyone concerned about uBlock Origin and its capability to deal with Google's notorious FLoC browser platform in Chrome, here's one of his recent terse but somewhat comforting Tweets (I follow Mr. Hill on Twitter).

Edit: I snipped the Tweet, the URL wasn't posting properly. Sorry.

That's great news, but I read that blocking 3rd party cookies is (also) enough to disable FLoC.

And AdGuard also blocks FLoC with their tracking protection filter:
AdGuard now blocks Google FLoC. Google created a new tech called FLoC that is supposed to replace third-party cookies for behavioral tracking, and baked it into Chrome. But if you have Tracking Protection filter enabled in your AdGuard, you are safe.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
That's great news, but I read that blocking 3rd party cookies is (also) enough to disable FLoC.

And AdGuard also blocks FLoC with their tracking protection filter:

It is enough, but at the same time too much in the case of browser-based cookie blocking. For example Youtube breaks in several places from which the comments section being one of them.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018

From my lmiited understanding of this FLoC, Google is replacing 3rd party cookies with some other means. The aim is to refine fingerprinting methods on websites and then place users into various groups. Some browsers like Brave are removing this FLoC "feature." Content blockers like AdGuard and uBlock Origin are supposed to deal with this themselves--I don't know how effectively, though.

It'll be interesting--Chrome's huge market share may be at stake.

Source

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
From my lmiited understanding of this FLoC, Google is replacing 3rd party cookies with some other means. The aim is to refine fingerprinting methods on websites and then place users into various groups. Some browsers like Brave are removing this FLoC "feature." Content blockers like AdGuard and uBlock Origin are supposed to deal with this themselves--I don't know how effectively, though.

It'll be interesting--Chrome's huge market share may be at stake.

Source
Actions, so far, against FLoC have been taken by the followings

1) Brave and Vivaldi browsers have FLoC removed

2) Adguard - Enable Tracking Protection filter

3) uBO - Enable uBlock filters - Privacy

4) Use DuckDuckGo Search Engine or add DDG Privacy Essentials extension

Last edited:

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I'm using Adguard Desktop for Windows, and when I tried the optimized filters, they broke some sites, e.g., embedded tweets stopped showing up in one forum. I can't remember the details, but I think Energized basic, etc., and OISD broke some sites as well. With that, I decided to go back to the default lists.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I'm a bit concerned about Kees1958 EU US most prevalent ads & trackers filter list. A major contributor to this list, beerisgood (AKA SecurityNightmares), ended his support. See: i am off · Issue #50 · Kees1958/W3C_annual_most_used_survey_blocklist
Will the list be well maintained?
Yes that is a concern, but @SecurityNightmares focus is on Next-DNS and he seems a bit offset about a source which polluted the list.

Also the weekly cleanup seems to be stopped (I read somewhere in an update that Kees1958 is halfway). Kees1958 still responds to issues, to remove FP's. Let's hope Kees1958 is well and only busy with other things (you never know these days with Covid19). Come to think about absence, I have also seen no post from Oldschool for months (@oldschool please drop a post to say all is well).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.