Battle Which free AV for my low-end laptop criteria? (bundles not required/ KPA KPSC BD Panda Nod32)

JeanCraie

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
Hello guys :)

I found your forum posts making much sense to me than spending hours reading any "top-10" blog comments so i came to ask your opinions free from Microsoft fanboyism and "use common sense" helpless gimmicks ;)

I still do not trust Windows Defender AV despite the continuous improvement, and would like to install a 3° AV instead.

My criteria for this AV:
1- must be FREE (fine as long i can untick bars/stuff prior installation)
2-less intrusive telemetry (fine as long i can untick these settings) - for that matter Avast is not desired
3-good real-time / heuristics, efficient definition updates
4-not too heavy (less than 500mb process), not too battery consuming.
5-just doing real time AV is already enough to me (for ex. i'll use malwarebytes free for one-time scans from time to time)
6- i am ok with tweaking the AV, (so default config doesn't have to be considered in your advices)

Main question:
7>>>>>> Which one to pick between Panda , BitDefender, Nod32 , Kaspersky ?

optional questions:
8> About K., does the free cloud one still have compatibility issues with WD detecting it as a firewall? Also heard the non cloud K.AV is not so good against trojans.
9> Do you recommend me to keep WD on for its others features or should i install other 3° complements (firewall, antiexploit, etc) then just disable WD ? (oo-erasing WD? seems to bring more bugs than anything else imho). Would using ZA free or Comodo as active firewall alongside with WD as first layer ip-blocker be ok?

My laptop configs:

-win 10 home 64x (regularly updated)
-intel gemini lake (1.1-2.4 ghz)
-8gb ram ddr4 (reserving 4-5gb ram for homework tasks) - remaining storage of 100gb ssd
Will use less-corporate internet browsers with proper extension (ublock/decentraleyes/etc) and other lightweight privacy stuff found on Answers to common security questions - Best Practices - Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software

==========
ps: can i duplicate this thread to 1-2 of your other subforums for more visibility?
pps: curious why nod32 being invisible in all these hype "top 10" blogs while seeming a decent option in tech forums?

Last edited by a moderator:

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Why not using a default-deny setup? I haven't made the tests, but for example Voodooshield on smart mode, or even in autopilot, should provide good protection with a lighter footprint than most AVs.
My opinion - if you have a good content blocker on your browser (and good habits), the AV becomes way less important.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
That's right, all of these AVs are light, but I wouldn't recommend installing 360TS 'cause of the large number of false positives. Moreover, 360TS has now become an "OS optimizer" with a dubious reputation and a lot of bells & whistles...
I get very few false positives with 360TS. When I do get a false positive, I just takes two clicks to whitelist the file.

The cleanup and optimisation feaures work very well. For example, the disk cleaner, finds more junk than most cleaners, becuase it scans for junk files from a large number of third party applications. Thr speedup module often wants to disable some startup items, that I want to disable, but once again it's easy to whitelist them.

I don't like the advertising in the free version, but legit licenses are very cheap on eBay.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
That's right, all of these AVs are light, but I wouldn't recommend installing 360TS 'cause of the large number of false positives. Moreover, 360TS has now become an "OS optimizer" with a dubious reputation and a lot of bells & whistles... If you still want to try 360, try 360TSE (Total Security Essential).
360 TS Essential have not many updates. 360 the last year have not many FP

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hello guys :)
ESET NOD32 Antivirus is NOT a Free Antivirus - I have changed this in the Poll options.
You can chose to download the free ESET Online Scanner for on-demand scans, but is not real-time security.

ps: can i duplicate this thread to 1-2 of your other subforums for more visibility?
No, duplicate threads are not allowed.

Your thread has been moved to the appropriate sub-forum; Compare Security Software.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
ESET NOD32 Antivirus is NOT a Free Antivirus
NOD32 had 30 days free trial and upon reinstalling it, you could get another 30 days and so on, forever and ever. ESET's CEO said, that they did it on purpose, similar to WinRAR's endless trial. Not sure, if it still applies though. It was a well known secret, Slovaks prefer pirating over buying. :emoji_innocent:

360 TS Essential have not many updates.
Because it is "just" AV, but it is using the same signatures and engines. 360TS has updates regarding its premium features, eshop gimmicks, etc.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
NOD32 had 30 days free trial and upon reinstalling it, you could get another 30 days and so on, forever and ever. ESET's CEO said, that they did it on purpose, similar to WinRAR's endless trial. Not sure, if it still applies though. It was a well known secret, Slovaks prefer pirating over buying. :emoji_innocent:

Because it is "just" AV, but it is using the same signatures and engines. 360TS has updates regarding its premium features, eshop gimmicks, etc.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Interesting, I guess you were right after all. (y)
It seems they push TS version to earn more money.
This is true. I use 360 ts many years. I know very well this antivirus. With windows 8.1 it was easy to stop the ads. With windows 10 i can't stop the ads now. Just for earn more money. That's why I stopped using it.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
NOD32 had 30 days free trial and upon reinstalling it, you could get another 30 days and so on, forever and ever. ESET's CEO said, that they did it on purpose, similar to WinRAR's endless trial. Not sure, if it still applies though. It was a well known secret, Slovaks prefer pirating over buyiing
You can't do that now. NOD32 now requires you to have an activation code which is sent to your email when you sign up for the trial version. The code has a validity of 31 days.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
1. Avira I wouldn't touch with a barge poll, even it's VPN is bloat on the system. Avira installs it's own PUP which takes up even more CPU usage and something I would stay clear off, but this is just a personal annoyance of mine when I have tested this product in the past.
2. Zonelarm's Free, features for the AV is limited, barely any protection for phishing type attacks and their Firewall is very heavy at 150MB when compared to Comodo's equivalent
3. Huorong's suite is a new product and I wouldn't even test this as a MWT user myself until there is enough suitable knowledge to know about this product, however there is a thread detailing bits and pieces about this product, it's worth a shout..

With my suggestions, it falls in line with your light thesis and they have good protection.
1. CCAV: Can load your web browser within a sandbox, great solid protection, also has in built settings you would to enable that would stop sandboxed processes from connection to the internet, stopping personal data from escaping.
2. Sophos Home Free: Great signatures, Sophos also own Hitman Pro! Did fantastic in tests I did against this.
3. Forticlient: Has an in built App Firewall, fantastic web browser based protection, even for phishing, something I would recommend! Many companies also use Forticlient, so you can be sure the signatures can be great too!

~LDogg

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
2. Sophos Home Free: Great signatures, Sophos also own Hitman Pro! Did fantastic in tests I did against this.

The problem with Sophos Home Free is that it has all premium features' processes running even if you disable them during the free trial. They appear to no longer have a true free standalone AV. Someone correct me if I am wrong please if you can find Free without the trial.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
1. Avira I wouldn't touch with a barge poll, even it's VPN is bloat on the system. Avira installs it's own PUP which takes up even more CPU usage and something I would stay clear off, but this is just a personal annoyance of mine when I have tested this product in the past.
2. Zonelarm's Free, features for the AV is limited, barely any protection for phishing type attacks and their Firewall is very heavy at 150MB when compared to Comodo's equivalent
3. Huorong's suite is a new product and I wouldn't even test this as a MWT user myself until there is enough suitable knowledge to know about this product, however there is a thread detailing bits and pieces about this product, it's worth a shout..

With my suggestions, it falls in line with your light thesis and they have good protection.
1. CCAV: Can load your web browser within a sandbox, great solid protection, also has in built settings you would to enable that would stop sandboxed processes from connection to the internet, stopping personal data from escaping.
3. Forticlient: Has an in built App Firewall, fantastic web browser based protection, even for phishing, something I would recommend! Many companies also use Forticlient, so you can be sure the signatures can be great too!

~LDogg
Avira you can install now only the antivirus and is very light on system with low ram. The bad is the ads only. For CCAV and Forticlient agree with you. Sophos Home free very huge ram usage. If i remember good the last time i tried it is aboot 300, 350 MB!!!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.