Advice Request Which is the fastest Antivirus in your opinion?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

May 14, 2020
Comodo of course ;)
I found that Comodo is one of the heaviest, I'm specifically talking about Comodo Firewall, when I had it installed it on my machine, every time it would boot up, Comodo would completely max out the CPU causing the entire system to crawl to a stop, and if you try and open a web browser or visit a website, it does the same thing.

Reactions: Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I found that Comodo is one of the heaviest, I'm specifically talking about Comodo Firewall, when I had it installed it on my machine, every time it would boot up, Comodo would completely max out the CPU causing the entire system to crawl to a stop, and if you try and open a web browser or visit a website, it does the same thing.
For me its opposite, i have 6 years old self-built gaming pc with 10 years old hdd running any antivirus without any problems...i cant see difference between antivirus software if i dont take a look on task manager really

I always end up installing comodo because its a damn castle protecting my computer

Youre not alone with the problems comodo been buggy in the past, for me its been working stable enough to enjoy of though:confused:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Recently I have tried F-Secure, Bullguard, Malwarebytes, Eset, Bitdefender, McAfee, Kaspersky, AVG and AVAST, Trend Micro and Avira. On my devices, Avira is lightest among them all; very fast startup, no browsing slowdowns and no high CPU usage. McAfee, F-Secure, Bullguard and Eset are very light. Kaspersky, Bitdefender, AVG and AVAST are a bit heavier but you won't notice much slowdown. Trend Micro and Malwarebytes are heavier than all the previous product but the system should be responsive and usable.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
After giving K7 Total a try a few weeks ago I'm hooked on it, for some reason after using it a while I really took to it - The GUI is simple & fast & doesn't use resources just to exist - Put it on my other half's lappy the other day & it runs beautifully - Unless something dreadful happens I'm sticking with K7, I can't remember ever being so pleased with a AV before!

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
After giving K7 Total a try a few weeks ago I'm hooked on it, for some reason after using it a while I really took to it - The GUI is simple & fast & doesn't use resources just to exist - Put it on my other half's lappy the other day & it runs beautifully - Unless something dreadful happens I'm sticking with K7, I can't remember ever being so pleased with a AV before!
I have heard nothing but good words about K7 but the price is not for me. I have never paid the full price for AV products.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014

Same here, stuck it on an old decrepit laptop and no slow down or over use of resources at all.

I have heard nothing but good words about K7 but the price is not for me. I have never paid the full price for AV products.

I got mine on ebay for diddley squat.

Regards Eck:)

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Free Fortinet Forticlient with OSArmor. Combine this with free Symantec SEP IDS(disable sep firewall, if you want to use your favorite fw, but leave IDS and memory exploit mitigation on). SEP IDS is the best you can get for free. Tested on Lenovo 1,2 ghz with 2GB ram. Sure you can use, for example Andy's HC etc.
Damn i hate Zonealarm for one reason. Installed and tested it. Uninstalled. Rebooted. Then i used their "cleanup" tool. Installed Forticlient, but when installing Forticlient, it says that i do have Zonealarm installed. I was like wtf? Deleted zonealarm registry entries and so on. No luck, forti says that i still have ZA installed. Then i found one thread here, where @roger_m wrote about when uninstalling an av, it might leave traces to windows security center!
Thanks to @roger_m advice, i was able to uninstall by using wbemtest.
-sepik

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Infection vectors like @Arequire said, sometimes i wonder is my Windows controlled by a Windows or my security software :D I've tested some linux distros. Aka distro hopper. KaOS KDE WAS...my favorite distro. Managed to get it work with my Nvidia 660 GTX purgin its noveau plain driver in its "safe-mode". Yep, Mint does not work either out-of-the-box. Pop_OS was only distro that worked with nvidia 660.
Actually sometimes i dont want to use a computer at all :D Whole damn windows sub-system is a damn joke...why in earth a OS has a "registry" by OS design?
-angry sepik :)

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
I think Kaspersky is a good candidate, butt let see evidences, it's better, it's not an answer, in a Ryzen 5 3500U, this is KAV footsteap:

1602179286936.png

Reactions: Nevi and harlan4096

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Hey, I adore Bitdefender Total Security & Mobile Security for my Huawei P 30 Lite.
But I would think it is pretty fast overall+it got very nice Detection Capabilities.:love:

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Yes, while keeping signatures in memory when possible, Avast is good for that. On other hand, some avs heavily depends on the cloud detection scheme. Like Tend Micro some others. While, for example free Forticlient does have a lot better static detection, it's far away when undetected malware hits. TM shines. GData's biggest fault is...too slow "ransomware detected". Ok. Its already encrypted my files. TM shines. :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.