Battle Which optimization tool do you use?

Compare list
optimization tool

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
As few as I can.... Optimization tools and registry cleaners I run from them. If you don't have anything to occupy your time, just use them, they will give errors enough to keep you entertained.

CCleaner- just for cookies
O&O- Defrag disk

Acer Care center _ Acer updates
Sumo- Updates in general.

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Hey, I use Auslogics BoostSpeed 12, lots of features, nice UI, good performance, this is the paid version.
I also have WiseCare 365 Pro Installed, but I don't use it anymore.
It is amazing how many options you have with ABS 12, I know so does Windows, but this is my way of doing it.

Chigwells

Level 4
Jan 16, 2012
11.png

(Replying to Thales and security123 )
Someone who I don't remember but who's opinion I valued, said that CCleaner reg cleaner is the only SAFE reg cleaner, avoid all others. That was a few years ago and since Win10, doesn't it take care of that side of things so you shouldn't touch it? Anyway I stopped using CCleaner after it got the bad rep and started to want to control your pc.

Last edited:

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Portable CCleaner (no reg cleaner), built-in cleanup and cleanmgr+ (recommended settings) once a month.

IMO the most important tweak to optimize a Windows PC is blocking OneDrive through GPO because it tends to use lots of CPU at startup due to constant updates and other random stuff in the background.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
None at all.

Cons:
- Extra headaches (configuring app, excluding programs or drives, manual or bad updates, in-app Ads)
- Paywall for automated features
- Freeware is generally bundled with Sponsored/Adware.
- Privacy issues as with CCleaner v5.45 (2018)
- Security issues as with CCleaner v5.33 (2018)

Pros:
- If you're still living in the 2000s
What do you mean by "Paywall" in the "Paywall for automated features"?

Reactions: gigi64

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Someone who I don't remember but who's opinion I valued, said that CCleaner reg cleaner is the only SAFE reg cleaner, avoid all others. That was a few years ago and since Win10, doesn't it take care of that side of things so you shouldn't touch it?
Windows 10, just like previous versions, does not clean the registry. There's a good reason for this, being that there's no need to do so. It is actually exceptionally rare for registry errors to cause slowdowns, or issues. If your system is running slower than it should, or you are experiencing other issues, I can pretty much guarantee that cleaning the registry won't fix it. There are exceptions to this, but they are very rare.

It is not safe to use CCleaner's registry cleaner. It will sometimes want to delete needed registry keys, which has the potential to cause problems. A number of years ago, it didn't have issues with false positives, making it safer to use than it is today. But, even then, if the check for Obsolete Software was enabled, it could cause problems in rare cases. There are a handful of registry cleaners which should never delete any needed registry keys, such as Auslogics Registry Cleaner and the registry cleaners in Kerish Doctor, AVG TuneUp and Advanced SystemCare (as long as you don't enable its optional Deep Scan category). Just about every other registry cleaner ever written has issues with false positives, meaning that they will sometimes want to delete needed registry keys. While the products I just mentioned are safe to use, as already mentioned, there's usually no need to use such tools.

As a final note, it's safe to use CCleaner's junk and privacy cleaning features. Just skip cleaning the registry.

Last edited:

Eggnog

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
Kerish Doctor w/sound notifications turned off,It got system restore working for me again as I have had nothing but problems with this since Windows 10,when I had windows 7 it always worked
I use Kerish Doctor w/sound notifications off, as well, and have been for 3-4 years. It's never given me a bit of problem and has actually fixed a couple of issues throughout that time, although I can't remember what those issues were after all this time. My memory isn't what it used to be.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.