Troubleshoot Which virtualization software to use (VM) ?

M

MalwareT

Thread author
I have a laptop with 4GB RAM, Pentium Dual Core 2.43 GhZ, 750 GB HDD. Which (free) VM's do you recommend ? And sorry for OT, is Camtasia Studio good for recording ?

Thanks for replys.

M

MalwareT

Thread author
Guys, i have a question about virtual machines. If i install Windows 7 Ultimate x86 on vm and i setup 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD, does my laptop have then 3GB RAM and 710GB HDD (does virtualbox/vmware take them permanently, or only when vm is powered on) ? :)

Upvote 0

DaZa9

Level 8
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
Guys, i have a question about virtual machines. If i install Windows 7 Ultimate x86 on vm and i setup 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD, does my laptop have then 3GB RAM and 710GB HDD (does virtualbox/vmware take them permanently, or only when vm is powered on) ? :)
When powered on only. also it won't take the whole 40GB until you fill them with files..

Reactions: MalwareT
Upvote 0
M

MalwareT

Thread author
Ok guys, i'm gonna use VBox , if i dont get satisfied, i'm gonna switch to VMware. Virtual machine is gonna be like this:
-Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit with all patches;
-Folder on desktop for synthetic tests;
-For every antivirus/security product i review, it's wallpaper is gonna be on desktop;
-my tools:
-MBAM
-Hitman Pro
-Dr.Web Cure It;
-CCE;
-TDSS Killer;
-EEK;
-BootRacer;
-VirusTotal Uploader;
-CCleaner.
For recording i'm gonna use Camtasia Studio 7.

Upvote 0
M

MalwareT

Thread author
Hey everyone, i installed VBox on my PC with 1GB RAM and is it good to run VM ? I wanna run Linux Slax with 128 MB RAM and Windows XP with 256 MB RAM. Is it good to run ?

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.