Question Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 29 8.5%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 44 12.9%
  • OkayFreedom VPN

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hide My Ass VPN

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 153 44.9%

• Total voters

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I'm going to give a full review of the different VPNs I've tested.
Note that I have a fairly intensive use of streaming / downloading.
Tested on my PC and fiber optic (2Gb down, 700 up)

Mulvad: The fastest for me (approx. 1600 down / 640 up) , very high download speed, but impossible to unblock Netflix / BBC iPlayer or Amazon Prime... I changed server several times, without success.

CyberGhost: Excellent speed (around 1400 down / 600 up) and ... it unblocked everything! I mostly use the optimized servers because on the classic servers, I've occasionally had blockages (not always, but it happens).

IPVanish: The same speeds as Mulvad, but I've only unblocked Netflix in the USA... Japan I had succeeded on 1 server before getting an IP ban in the middle of playback...

Windscribe: Doesn't exceed 1Gb (780/400) and has never managed to unblock streaming catalogs...

Ivacy: The worst and too many disconnections....

Where I'm talking to you, I use 2: Mulvad for downloading, high-risk sites etc. and CyberGhost for streaming :)
Can you test PIA and see how it does with your fast line ;)

Reactions: Jonny Quest

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I'm going to give a full review of the different VPNs I've tested.
Note that I have a fairly intensive use of streaming / downloading.
Tested on my PC and fiber optic (2Gb down, 700 up)

Mulvad: The fastest for me (approx. 1600 down / 640 up) , very high download speed, but impossible to unblock Netflix / BBC iPlayer or Amazon Prime... I changed server several times, without success.
I just tried Mulvad and I could watch BBC iPlayer. I just did not try other countries but maybe it worked because I used London server.

Last edited:

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I experienced something very strange today. I have used PIA VPN for many years, logged into my bank several times and have never heard anything from the bank.

Today I used Mulvad VPN and logged into the bank, and it didn't take many minutes for the bank to call me to ask if it was me who had logged in via a VPN. The alarm had gone off since fraudsters often use a VPN when logging into a bank. What I find strange is, why has there never been an alarm with PIA, but with Mulvad? Can anyone imagine why?

Reactions: ZeroDay

rooney49

Level 1
Jun 14, 2023
I experienced something very strange today. I have used PIA VPN for many years, logged into my bank several times and have never heard anything from the bank.

Today I used Mulvad VPN and logged into the bank, and it didn't take many minutes for the bank to call me to ask if it was me who had logged in via a VPN. The alarm had gone off since fraudsters often use a VPN when logging into a bank. What I find strange is, why has there never been an alarm with PIA, but with Mulvad? Can anyone imagine why?
Closest guess is that the IP Mullvad provided you is considered suspicious by the bank most likely due to an event in recent history. Did you ask them, why they flagged you considering you have used VPN always to access bank portal so far?
I use Windscribe and have Split tunneled bank apps from VPN usage, as I for cautious reasons do not trust any VPN 100% with bank creds.

Jonny Quest

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Closest guess is that the IP Mullvad provided you is considered suspicious by the bank most likely due to an event in recent history. Did you ask them, why they flagged you considering you have used VPN always to access bank portal so far?
I use Windscribe and have Split tunneled bank apps from VPN usage, as I for cautious reasons do not trust any VPN 100% with bank creds.

I tend to do the same thing, in my case, I disable the VPN and use F-Secure Banking protection or Kaspersky Safe Money, depending on which device I'm on.
It does seem that Mullvad gets flagged more often. Is their VPN so ironclad that it makes it more "noticeable", or whatever protocols they're using, even though it's either WireGuard or OpenVPN?

edit: sp touch up :)

Last edited:

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I tend to do the same thing, in my case, I disable the VPN and use F-Secure Banking protection or Kaspersky Safe Money, depending on which device I'm on.
It does seem that Mullvad gets flagged more often. Is their VPN so ironclad that it makes it more "noticeable", or whatever protocols they're using, even though it's either WireGuard or OpenVPN?

edit: sp touch up :)
I myself use F-secure Banking protection, but it's strange, after using PIA for 10 years with no response from any banks, and the first time I use Mulvad, this happens. Perhaps you are right, that Mulvad is more noticeable?

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
Perhaps Mullvad VPN is considered suspicious by the bank most likely due to an event in recent history. The people I spoke to said that the bank was notified from head office because of the risk of my account being hacked, so this bank had to call me.
But she also said that this usually happened when a bank customer had been hacked, using a VPN. Therefore, it is very strange that I, who constantly log into banks have never experienced this with PIA?

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
On the vary rare occasion I use a VPN, I use IVPN. But, it’s really almost never.

Reactions: franz

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
Topic: The Benefits of Using a VPN for Online Banking

Introduction: Online banking has become increasingly popular due to its convenience, but it also presents certain security risks. This debate centers around the use of a Virtual Private Network (VPN) for online banking and whether it is a smart and effective precaution. Let's examine the arguments in favor of using a VPN for online banking, refute opposing viewpoints, and draw persuasive conclusions based on evidence.

Argument 1: Enhanced Security - Using a VPN creates a secure encrypted tunnel between your device and the bank's server, protecting your sensitive information from potential hackers and eavesdroppers. - By masking your IP address, a VPN prevents tracking and reduces the risk of identity theft, making online banking safer.

Refutation:
Opponents of using a VPN for online banking argue that banks already have strong security measures in place. However, recent high-profile data breaches and the ever-evolving tactics of cybercriminals highlight the need for additional layers of protection. It is better to be proactive and use a VPN to mitigate potential risks.

Argument 2: Protection on Public Wi-Fi - Public Wi-Fi networks are known to be susceptible to attacks, as cybercriminals can easily intercept data transmitted over these networks. - Using a VPN encrypts your data, making it virtually impossible for hackers to access your financial information when using public Wi-Fi, ensuring safer online banking experiences.

Refutation: Critics may argue that modern banking websites use HTTPS encryption, making it safe to use public Wi-Fi without a VPN. While it is true that HTTPS provides a basic level of security, a VPN adds an extra layer of protection against potential vulnerabilities in public Wi-Fi networks, making it a prudent choice.

Conclusion: Considering the benefits of using a VPN for online banking, such as enhanced security and protection on public Wi-Fi networks, it is clear that incorporating this technology into your online banking routine is a smart move. While banks do have their own safeguards, a VPN provides an added layer of protection against ever-evolving cyber threats. By using a VPN, individuals can ensure that their financial information remains secure, allowing for peace of mind during online banking transactions.

Jonny Quest

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I myself use F-secure Banking protection, but it's strange, after using PIA for 10 years with no response from any banks, and the first time I use Mulvad, this happens. Perhaps you are right, that Mulvad is more noticeable?

@franz I'm not asking you directly, but just to follow up with this. I did a search for Sandbox vs VMware workstation and a search result for a reddit link blocked me, showing the correct Mullvad ip address I was using. I switched to OpenVPN as the default, and was only able to get to the page from 2 of the 4 US servers I tried. I then tried F-Secure (same notebook) whose default is OpenVPN, and from all of it's 4 US server locations, I was able to get on the reddit page with no problem.
f secure openvpn.jpg

I think in the past, I may have had another page or two access issue that may have been due Mullvad, but now I know to try disabling it and seeing if the page loads. My subscription to Mullvad ends next month, not sure I'll renew it now. Great VPN speeds and a small app footprint-wise, but that is a bit annoying. F-Secure Total VPN needs to at least have a system tray right-click ability to enable it or disable it, without having to open the UI.

Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413 and franz

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
@franz I'm not asking you directly, but just to follow up with this. I did a search for Sandbox vs VMware workstation and a search result for a reddit link blocked me, showing the correct Mullvad ip address I was using. I switched to OpenVPN as the default, and was only able to get to the page from 2 of the 4 US servers I tried. I then tried F-Secure (same notebook) whose default is OpenVPN, and from all of it's 4 US server locations, I was able to get on the reddit page with no problem.
View attachment 280745

I think in the past, I may have had another page or two access issue that may have been due Mullvad, but now I know to try disabling it and seeing if the page loads. My subscription to Mullvad ends next month, not sure I'll renew it now. Great VPN speeds and a small app footprint-wise, but that is a bit annoying. F-Secure Total VPN needs to at least have a system tray right-click ability to enable it or disable it, without having to open the UI.
I had the same problem that Shadowra had with Netflix when watching in other countries with Mulvad. But now when I have put PIA back in, it opens in several countries, not all but some that Mulvad didn't open for. Also tested PIA at the bank that asked questions when I used Mulvad, and it went brilliantly as it always has, so I'm not continuing my subscription with Mulvad now. Maybe it's me who is unlucky with Mulvad but who knows?

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I've been having problems with Mullvad lately. Their IPs seem to be getting blocked semi frequently from sites I go to. Reddit even blocked them. Maybe it's time to go back to ivpn?

Reactions: blackice

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Windscribe Pro? The WindFlix servers are no longer available. Do you have any information about the removal of WindFlix servers?
I'm not sure what you mean by "..The WindFlix servers are no longer available.." as I'm seeing four Windflix servers listed on Windscribe

They are not showing on the Windscribe app for me as being Windflix servers as they used to, now the WINDFLIX UK is listed on that as London - The Tube, the other Windflix ones are also listed under their supposed locations rather than as being Windflix servers.

I asked Windscribe why the London - The Tube was not listed as such on their website status page and did not get a very clear answer.

If you were saying that the Windflix servers no longer work with Netflix I can't help as I don't use Netflix.

Attachments

• Windflix status - 16.01.24.JPG
    Windflix status - 16.01.24.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 26

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.