Question Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 29 8.5%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 44 12.9%
  • OkayFreedom VPN

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hide My Ass VPN

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 153 44.9%

• Total voters

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
As a person offering Mullvad I can not tell you that I recommend it or not ... obviously because of the conflict of interest :D ....

But as a user, I would recommend it but you should make some changes in your settings.

If some websites block WireGuard, that means no VPN would work. One solution that has worked for me at least till now is to change the WireGuard port. Not many VPN providers have this option in their app. You can try different ports for WireGuard. And for OpenVPN, you can also see if changing the protocol from UDP to TCP makes any changes. Also the OVPN ports.

From a technical point of view this is the same issue for all VPN providers no matter if it is Mullvad or not.

I am personally using NextDNS private DNS service with my own custom profile. Try to use this method too as some websites/services might had blocked Mullvad DNS servers.
You can find a how to article here:

I hope that I could have helped.

In the use of 3rd-party DNS with Mullvad VPN does Mullvad VPN hijacks the DNS queries over WireGuard? The article below seems to say so

Of course using Mullvad's default DNS is best to avoid DNS leaks but many seems to use say NextDNS with Mullvad VPN. Mullvad VPN's DNS blocklists is given below

So NextDNS is superior than Mullvad DNS as more blocklists can be added, right?

Last edited:

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
In the use of 3rd-party DNS with Mullvad VPN does Mullvad VPN hijacks the DNS queries over WireGuard? The article below seems to say so

Of course using Mullvad's default DNS is best to avoid DNS leaks but many seems to use say NextDNS with Mullvad VPN. Mullvad VPN's DNS blocklists is given below

Mullvad does hijack if you specify the to use their DNS. I think Mullvad DNS server are inferior to ControlD, NextDNS, or really anything that allows you to add tthird party lists. Mullvad doesn't block as much, but whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Mullvad does hijack if you specify the to use their DNS. I think Mullvad DNS server are inferior to ControlD, NextDNS, or really anything that allows you to add tthird party lists. Mullvad doesn't block as much, but whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you.

Mullvad will NOT hijack if it uses its own DNS through WireGuard but will hijack those 3rd-party ones

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Mullvad doesn't block as much, but whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you.
To be honest it's a good thing Mullvad Dns doesn't block as much as other Dns providers. I find Mullvad + uBlock Origin is enough these days.

You will find if you're using NextDns or Control_ID with many filters lists and settings enabled it will block a lot of legitimate traffic. Whitelisting is a pain for consumers and it's not good security practice to disable security mechanisms system wide to browse one site.

FALLEN

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 13, 2015
I tried/used Mullvad, SurfShark, IPVanish, F-Secure Freedome, CyberGhost, AzireVPN, PrivateVPN, Perfect Privacy, HMA, etc. Now, I have NordVPN and Windscribe Pro but I have to say, ExpressVPN is exceptional for streaming purposes IMO. Their apps too, looks pretty simple but very decent. It's seems like Nord little bit faster than ExpressVPN in my tests. Windscribe Pro gives very good results too, specially from Europe and Asia servers. In my experience their US servers are just average for streaming.

My top five
1. ExpressVPN
2. NordVPN
3. Windscribe Pro
4. AzireVPN - it's like "boutique" experience and very good speeds. I like it a lot.
5. CyberGhost

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Yes I do agree that it's useful to have a Vpn subscription to one of the big 4 in either Nord, Express, SurfShark or Windscribe. The sheer number of users and the traffic they generate is the reason why. The problem with some of the ' boutique' Vpn's is that they have a small user base making fingerprinting and traffic analysis easier. Smaller operations will have less mature processes with regards to user data and legal requests while the big players would have good mature procedures in regard to legal information requests. Something to think about!

zkSnark

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
I tried/used Mullvad, SurfShark, IPVanish, F-Secure Freedome, CyberGhost, AzireVPN, PrivateVPN, Perfect Privacy, HMA, etc. Now, I have NordVPN and Windscribe Pro but I have to say, ExpressVPN is exceptional for streaming purposes IMO. Their apps too, looks pretty simple but very decent. It's seems like Nord little bit faster than ExpressVPN in my tests. Windscribe Pro gives very good results too, specially from Europe and Asia servers. In my experience their US servers are just average for streaming.

My top five
1. ExpressVPN
2. NordVPN
3. Windscribe Pro
4. AzireVPN - it's like "boutique" experience and very good speeds. I like it a lot.
5. CyberGhost
Currently, I am using NordVPN. I have read good things about Azire, and they have their own dedicated servers too. As you have mentioned boutique experience and very good speed for Azire, but why is it at No.4? For speed, other 3 are better than Azire?
Have you tried iVPN or oVPN? Read good things about them too.

FALLEN

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 13, 2015
For speed, other 3 are better than Azire?
I'm not sure about Windscribe but the others are definitely faster than Azire, specially North American servers. This is why I prefer NordVPN, as I said ExpressVPN better for streaming but little bit pricey.

I haven't tried yet.

FALLEN

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 13, 2015
Yes I do agree that it's useful to have a Vpn subscription to one of the big 4 in either Nord, Express, SurfShark or Windscribe. The sheer number of users and the traffic they generate is the reason why. The problem with some of the ' boutique' Vpn's is that they have a small user base making fingerprinting and traffic analysis easier. Smaller operations will have less mature processes with regards to user data and legal requests while the big players would have good mature procedures in regard to legal information requests. Something to think about!
I agree and also easy to block too cos they have very limited IP's. ExpressVPN and NordVPN better for streaming or torrenting IMO.

Reactions: Nevi

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Windscribe for its excellent DNS filtering, speed and customization concerning settings(Protocol, ports etc etc)

Mullvad for its privacy record and the product is straightforward and simple to use.Dns filtering not as good as Adguard or windscribe.Android version lack features.

Adguard Vpn with its always On obfuscation, combined with Adguard and Adguard DNS becomes a powerful combination.I bought a license last year, and on the downside, there are lots of bugs to fix. Frequent disconnections and killswitch crashes and bugs on PC.On Android sometimes it just doesn't work.You need to go through lots of steps to make it work again, a real pain.And after almost one year, bugs and frequent crashes are still there.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Currently, I am using NordVPN. I have read good things about Azire, and they have their own dedicated servers too. As you have mentioned boutique experience and very good speed for Azire, but why is it at No.4? For speed, other 3 are better than Azire?
fwiw, I've used IVPN for several years, recently trying OVPN which for me is fastest. Both seem very good.
Mostly I'm using Mullvad the past year.

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019

It completely depends on your settings.

To use a thirdparty DNS, first you need to disable Mullvad's.

And as others mentioned, NextDNS is superior to Mullvad's DNS which is an obvious fact. Because NextDNS is a professional DNS service and Mullvad is a professional VPN service.

NextDNS offers more than an ad blocker. You can define which websites open and which ones not. In addition you can set several profiles which makes it even more versatile for those who have children (for example) in their family.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.