Question Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 29 8.5%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 44 12.9%
  • OkayFreedom VPN

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hide My Ass VPN

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 153 44.9%

• Total voters

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Due to the high costs of running a VPN IMHO the words VPN & Free cannot exist in the same sentence, a bad VPN is far worse than no VPN - A cheap or free VPN supplier has to get their money from somewhere? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
VPN reviews are often hidden promotions because blogger/reviewer is sponsored by one of the VPN's. My choice was determined on the discounts which were running at time of purchase (the jay) and the feedback on this forum (the nay).

I choose for BulletVPN (forgot the name of the other option). I am using BulletVPN EU's Paris HD connection mostly (for the arbitrary reason that is the same timezone as Amsterdam). There was one test stating it was a decent VPN, but it did not pass the DNS Leak test (advanced) test, so I checked it and BulletVPN passes with flying colors.

My limited experience of VPN's is based on only one experiemce with BulletVPN, it seems to do the job with Edge (when checking at browser leaks for instance) and I am happy with the download speed.

L.

Eggnog

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
As of mid-2020, currently using NordVPN on Windows, macOS and Android.
My current VPN subscription to PIA is finished in mid-December. I've used them for years but, while still pretty speedy, they really haven't ever figured out the whole streaming thing and don't seem to be making a lot of strides overall. I'm going to change VPNs. I strongly considered NordVPN but it only allows 6 devices to connect simultaneously. With my family's cell phones, laptops, tablets, and desktops that would not be nearly enough. PIA has 10 but that is beginning to push the limit with my crew. I also don't need a lot of bells, whistles, and whirligigs.

I've leaning toward Surfshark with unlimited simultaneous connections. I like the CleanWeb and Whitelisting features as well. I'm going to pull the plug and download their two-year plan later this week and give it a go unless I'm talked out of it. The reviews have been pretty good and I like that they were audited by Cure53, an independent and reputable security auditor, with excellent results. I think they found two minor app vulnerabilities that were fixed quickly. Surfshark initiated the audit so that tells me they are serious about their product.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I have used Airvpn for some years now on-and-off. Highly recommend it, especially if you need to use ports or want specific traffic to run through its own port, supports port-forwarding, network routing and vpn over Tor for those that need them. Most other features i never touched.

Eggnog

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
AirVPN sounds pretty good. I'm looking at it. I told a friend, whose opinions I tend to trust about things like this, that I was considering Surfshark and he advised me not to go that route. He also advised me to stay away from NordVPN. He said both are having problems, but he didn't elaborate. He didn't have any strong opinions about AirVPN and thought that might be one I could consider. He likes Torguard a lot, and told me to also look into a new VPN I hadn't heard of called WeVPN. I don't like the price of Torguard so I'm currently looking at AirVPN and WeVPN. Who knew it was going to be this crazy changing VPNs? Anyway, I have a month to look around before PIA is finished.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
WeVPN mentioned here

It is still a young VPN with only 100+ servers in 40 countries, no double-hop service and likely with some technical issues to be ironed out. I doubt it has support in China

Last edited:

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
I have used and still use about 2 dozen VPNs some with lifetime subscriptions. I find Torguard has the stablest connections, almost never disconnects from the server and is the fastest too. It is my favourite and the one I recommend the most. And for about $30/year with a coupon it's really fantastic price/performance. On the other hand NordVPN has been a very big disappointment. I signed up for 3 years this March and have begun to regret it. Nord is a lot of hype and hot air and certainly not in my recommended list. My ranking for P2P speed (with a 500+ Mbps multi WAN connection) and anonymity:

1. Torguard
  2. PIA
  3. Private VPN
  4. Cyberghost
  5. Windscribe
  6. Mullvad (subs expired)
  7. Express VPN (subs expired)
  8. iVPN (subs expired)
  9. VPN Area
  10. Hotspot Shield
  11. StrongVPN (account transferred from IBVPN, after they were taken over by StrongVPN)
  12. Surfshark
  13. UltraVPN
  14. IPVanish
  15. Tunnelbear
  16. VyprVPN (subs expired)
  17. NordVPN
  18. GooseVPN (subs expired)
  19. VPN Unlimited
  20. Disconnect
  21. HMA
  22. Ivacy
  23. PureVPN
  24. TigerVPN
  25. VPN Secure
  26. VeePN
  27. BulletVPN
  28. Fastest VPN
I'd like to add a caveat to my rankings/preferences - YMMV please. :)

PS - added Tunnelbear

Cheers!

Last edited:

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
So, I thought I'd take WeVPN for a 30 day test drive. Let's see how it works for me. Speedtest shows about 195 Mbps, less than 1/2 my connection bandwidth. Oh well. I'll give it a couple of weeks before I take a call.

Reactions: amirr

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
So, I thought I'd take WeVPN for a 30 day test drive. Let's see how it works for me. Speedtest shows about 195 Mbps, less than 1/2 my connection bandwidth. Oh well. I'll give it a couple of weeks before I take a call.
It probably won't get any faster. Try some different locations in your country. If you see no increase in speed, ditch it. There's so many VPNs to choose from these days, that there's not much point sticking with one which is giving you slow speeds.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
What do you think of Adguard VPN?
I've used AdGuard VPN now for a few months, it's browser based so mail clients & your software are unaffected by the VPN - It takes moments to whitelist a site & there are lots of sites I'm quite happy to whitelist - I've not read many reviews but for me it does what I want - As as time goes by I'm less and less inclined to trust the utterings of VPN's anyway - I do have another VPN I can run but rarely do - For me at the moment AdGuard does all I want :):):)

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Kaspersky VPN and F-secure VPN, don't support torrenting, only HTTP/s traffic. North VPN support P2P, but is more expensive.

F-secure:
Due to requirements placed on us by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) legislation, we are not able to support BitTorrent or other peer-to-peer file sharing applications on many of our gateway sites, which either reside within the United States, or are hosted by a company based in the US.

Given our promises on privacy and anonymity, honoring the DMCA requirements is challenging for us. We have therefore chosen to technically block peer-to-peer file sharing on the affected VPN gateways. When such traffic is detected by our software, the VPN user's network connection is temporarily restricted by a firewall, leaving only web (http/https) services available for that client, and with limited capacity only. Other applications may obviously be affected by the restrictions. The restrictions are automatically lifted after a few hours time.

1607257913197.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.