Question Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 29 8.5%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 44 12.9%
  • OkayFreedom VPN

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hide My Ass VPN

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 153 44.9%

• Total voters

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
After trying so many vpn providers, this one Is the absolute best. The Bitdefender vpn is one of the fastest vpn outthere, and even using torrents is allowed, downloading a Ubuntu iso over torrent is fast.
Where other vpn providers provide one dns server, every location in this vpn has more than 50 dns servers.

one example here:

A8103C1A-194C-4EAA-BDDF-B09B6869A92D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Numeriku

Level 2
Verified
Mar 13, 2022
After trying so many vpn providers, this one Is the absolute best. The Bitdefender vpn is one of the fastest vpn outthere, and even using torrents is allowed, downloading a Ubuntu iso over torrent is fast.
Where other vpn providers provide one dns server, every location in this vpn has more than 50 dns servers.

one example here:

View attachment 266150

Does it provide a malaysia location, i only found avast vpn to have johor bahru as a location, using it to bypass geo block content in malaysia, i tried other vpn but they mostly provide kuala lumpur which is too far from singapore.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Does it provide a malaysia location, i only found avast vpn to have johor bahru as a location, using it to bypass geo block content in malaysia, i tried other vpn but they mostly provide kuala lumpur which is too far from singapore.

I just checked my ProtonVPN Plus offerings, maybe this could help.

44 servers in Singapore and 8 in Malaysia,

06C55549-A554-4A29-A773-9AA523DF9817.png

Last edited by a moderator:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I just purchased a cheap license for Bitdefender Premium VPN and don't like it. While I make a point of testing VPNs before buying them, in this case I didn't, since it's based on Hotspot Shield which I was using recently and was impressed with. Unfortunately, while they are using Hotspot Shield's servers and technology, they have their own app which is very basic. The app lets you choose a country to connect to, but does not give you a choice of locations within that country. This is a big limitation as quite often I find that certain websites I visit are blocked when connected to some VPN servers and I can sometimes solve this by connecting to a different location in my country. While this is not an option here, I visited a number of sites which sometimes would be blocked without any issues. Still, it's quite possible that some sites I visit would be blocked.

The biggest issue I have is that it is very slow. My internet speed is a lot slower when connected. If there was the option to choose what location to connect to, then most likely I would be able to find a server in my country that provides faster speeds, since I was getting decent speeds with Hotspot Shield itself.

Having said all of that, I'm sure that it works well for some people, just not me.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I just purchased a cheap license for Bitdefender Premium VPN and don't like it. While I make a point of testing VPNs before buying them, in this case I didn't, since it's based on Hotspot Shield which I was using recently and was impressed with. Unfortunately, while they are using Hotspot Shield's servers and technology, they have their own app which is very basic. The app lets you choose a country to connect to, but does not give you a choice of locations within that country. This is a big limitation as quite often I find that certain websites I visit are blocked when connected to some VPN servers and I can sometimes solve this by connecting to a different location in my country. While this is not an option here, I visited a number of sites which sometimes would be blocked without any issues. Still, it's quite possible that some sites I visit would be blocked.

The biggest issue I have is that it is very slow. My internet speed is a lot slower when connected. If there was the option to choose what location to connect to, then most likely I would be able to find a server in my country that provides faster speeds, since I was getting decent speeds with Hotspot Shield itself.

Having said all of that, I'm sure that it works well for some people, just not me.
Thanks @roger_m as I been curious myself on their VPN, but I never made the actual test.

Did you use it on your PC, laptop or phone?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Thanks @roger_m as I been curious myself on their VPN, but I never made the actual test.

Did you use it on your PC, laptop or phone?
I used it in on my laptop and Android phone. With the Android and iOS apps, for some countries such as the US, you have a choice of locations, unlike with the desktop apps. I got a much slower speed on my phone, but maybe if I'd tried connecting a few times I would have got better speeds.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
For me , Bitdefender VPN is the only vpn that allows me to stream Dutch television in Malaysia without any issues and the speed is full speed on all servers. We have 500 MB connection and when vpn is on we get around 450-475.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I know we(Australia) belong to the 5 eyes strategy, but who/what is 14 eyes…?
Don’t worry about it. People get so caught up in this eyes business as if 1) three letter organizations care what they are doing (though they might if you are getting into dangerous stuff), or 2) that these organizations are somehow stifled by some cheap-o VPN service. If you aren’t a political dissident, an infamous journalist, or doing something super illegal otherwise then none of this matters.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.