Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 10 May 2020 Update not playing nice with some Lenovo PCs
Lenovo laptops and the Windows 10 May 2020 Update have a laundry list of issues right now.
What you need to know
  • The Windows 10 May 2020 Update has a long list of issues with several Lenovo laptops.
  • Lenovo and Microsoft both acknowledged the issues.
  • Lenovo posted a support page with fixes for many of the issues.
Lenovo support page:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
same, I just reverted back to 8.1
after several tweaks, w10 2004 is still noticeably slower on laptop sleeping or waking. I had a problem with night light permanently greyed out that I wasn't able to fix. I visited several websites for solutions but nothing worked

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I don't have any problems on this desk & other half's newish lappy, & a few other lappys & my old desk (I've gone to ground for other friends & relatives) - If you do an image before you attempt an update & it goes wrong, image back & wait, that's my way though I can't remember having major issues since MS in their infinite wisdom started their twice yearly updates? Relative has issues he thinks with Start10, but it's a good idea to disable Start10/O&OShutup before updating assuming you not doing a clean install, I think - Boot time near identical on this desk with a SSD + a 5TB spinner after update.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Windows 10 2004 rollout: We're slowly throttling up availability, says Microsoft

For the first time since releasing Windows 10 version 2004 to the general public on May 27, Microsoft says it is increasing the number of Windows 10 PCs it is automatically offering version 2004 to via Windows Update.

The Windows 10 version 2004 has been remarkably slow, but things could change soon. Following Patch Tuesday yesterday, Microsoft announced on the Windows release health dashboard that it will dial up automatic feature updates.

Read more here

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I installed 2004 on one of my rigs to see what it's all about and so far so good on my end! Mind you I always do clean installs when a major release is out and as a result I have yet to have any issues with any major update. Either I have been lucky, or it just shows the MS in place upgrades just suck and too many things can go wrong. As I've said, I have done clean installs with every major version and I have never, ever run into any issues that have come up with each release. While I know it can be a lot of work for some to get everything setup/configured the way they like it, but I am of the opinion that it is the much better option and causes the least issues, at least in my experience. It's very evident the in place upgrades cause more issues than the clean installs. At least from what I can see.

While I am not making excuses for MS, I often wonder how much of it is really MS's fault, vs hardware/software vendors fault? I hear Lenovo is having issues, but from what I can see the other major PC OEMs aren't (I may be missing it if they are). If this is the case, what is Lenovo doing that the other OEMs seem to have gotten right? It's cases like this which makes me question who's really at fault here.:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I often wonder how much of it is really MS's fault, vs hardware/software vendors fault? I hear Lenovo is having issues, but from what I can see the other major PC OEMs aren't (I may be missing it if they are). If this is the case, what is Lenovo doing that the other OEMs seem to have gotten right? It's cases like this which makes me question who's really at fault here.:unsure:

I agree that it's likely not M$ because I had no issues prior to the Lenovo/Intel updates while on 1909. After these I updated to 2004 and no improvement. So I went back to my 1909 image but Windows immediately gave me the L/I updates again, like being on a hamster wheel. Maybe I'll pause updates and clean install. In fact I just got the 2004 Media Creation Tool.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I'm already waxing nostalgic for 1909 also. It's certainly not that 2004 is outright bad on here, it just doesn't have that feeling of right-ness right off the bat like 1909 did. It's meh.

Let me give you an example. Periodically, I run System Maintenance, it typically takes about 15-20 min. It's been almost two hours now, Maintenance is showing as it's "in progress" in Control Panel but nothing's been going on in Task Manager for like the past hour. Did anyone notice: your GPU temperature is displayed in Task Manager now, under Processes. (y)

Little, puzzling things. Boot is like a second or two slower--not outrageous, just not great. Mouse clicks sometimes don't register, even with another mouse plugged into a different USB port. Disk defrag is that same old "never run" and nothing works to change that. Maybe some other little piddly stuff.

Didn't do a clean install because initially, the update and aftermath went well. All in all, no major reason to go back, but things could be better. Onward! 😏 👉

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I'm already waxing nostalgic for 1909 also. It's certainly not that 2004 is outright bad on here, it just doesn't have that feeling of right-ness right off the bat like 1909 did. It's meh.

Let me give you an example. Periodically, I run System Maintenance, it typically takes about 15-20 min. It's been almost two hours now, Maintenance is showing as it's "in progress" in Control Panel but nothing's been going on in Task Manager for like the past hour. Did anyone notice: your GPU temperature is displayed in Task Manager now, under Processes. (y)

Little, puzzling things. Boot is like a second or two slower--not outrageous, just not great. Mouse clicks sometimes don't register, even with another mouse plugged into a different USB port. Disk defrag is that same old "never run" and nothing works to change that. Maybe some other little piddly stuff.

Didn't do a clean install because initially, the update and aftermath went well. All in all, no major reason to go back, but things could be better. Onward! 😏 👉
I wonder if anyone who reported no problems had a look at the things you describe?

I'm on 2004 for my personal laptop, but 2004 is not ready for a full rollout.
Will wait till more bugs are smashed before I upgrade any other computer in my household.

Windows 10 May 2020 Update is causing issues with Drive Optimizer:

More news for Dell and Lenovo owners:

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
What is the Windows 10 Windows Feature Experience Pack?

Once you get the May 2020 Windows 10 update, you also get this new pack, which Microsoft officials oddly won't discuss.

You can see the Windows Feature Experience Pack listed as one of the Features on Demand for Windows 10 and Windows Server. This list also includes Internet Explorer, Notepad, the DirectX Configuration Database, Paint, PowerShell ISe, Quick Assist, the Print Management Console, and more. The Windows Feature Experience Pack, listed as available on Windows 10 version 2004 and later, "includes features critical to Windows functionality." Microsoft advises users not to remove this collection of Windows client shell components, which is 44.15MB in size

Read more here

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
My power settings appears to have been changed unbeknownst to me, and I have fixed my slow startup/logon times by:
  • turning off all sleep functions
  • turning fast startup "Off" and then "On" again.
Things are back to normal again. I'm ready for the update when it's offered.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.