Windows 10 version 2004 rollout imminent

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Neither AMD nor NVidia have drivers ready, so I would suggest waiting, unless you don't mind being stuck on a restart loop 🍵
2004-update-compatibilidade.png

I think that's the problem here, but it's good to see they're preventing installing a new version with such drivers issues.

Last edited:

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
It seems ESET doesn’t play nice with 2004. Installed to test. Upon initial scan it runs fine until it hits Microsoft.HEIFImageExtension_1.0.31072.0_x64_8wekyb3d8bbwe\x86\maheif_store.dll. The first time it just scanned forever till I rebooted and the reboot hung. So I reimaged and reinstalled. Second time it hit that file the system froze. I’d say there seems to be a compatibility issue.
Everything is fine at my laptop with ESET/2004.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Wow, it seems DISM has multiple issues in Windows 2004. Maybe this article is read by many already but here's some news on it. Anyone affected by this one specifically? There's also the /checkhealth one but you don't hear a whole lot about that one.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Neither AMD nor NVidia have drivers ready,
Windows Update is actually part of the problem,
MS philosophy regarding drivers: If it not broken, do not fix it! Thus you get RealtekLAN driver from 2015 too,
though MS has the latest ones in the Microsoft Update Catalog
With 1909 I had File Explorer crashes all the time.
99% of the time, it is caused by the 3rd party shell, which you can disable using ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows
anything else that is worth noticing?
More free space after cleanup, even compared to 19041.1. I had 16/16 GB, now it is 13/19 (pagefile/hibernation disabled), it was 8/24 after the install. 😲

Attachments

• capture_05312020_030538.jpg
    capture_05312020_030538.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 149

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Other things of note (this is Windows 10 Home):
  • App & browser control menu (Windows Security) has been revamped.
    • Toggle for 'Potentially unwanted app blocking' has been added.
    • Exploit protection has been removed.
  • Privacy
    • Voice activation tab has a toggle for 'Choose your default app for headset button press'.
  • Search
    • Permissions & history tab has a toggle for 'Microsoft account' and 'Work or School account'
    • Searching Windows tab has an Indexer Performance section with a toggle to 'Respect Device Power Mode Settings"
  • Language tab (Time & Language) now separates display language into the following categories:
    • Windows display
    • Apps & websites
    • Regional format
    • Keyboard
    • Speech
  • Revamped network status page (Network & Internet).
They removed something from old Control Panel too and add it to the new settings app.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Windows 10x is for dual screen devices, something I have no interest in.
Not only.

It's basically a new Windows. The whole internal structure changed. The main change is that Win32 apps are going to run always sandboxed with a dedicated "partition" and users will not be able to access system files anymore since it is going to be on a different partition too.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft starts notifying users if Windows 10 2004 is blocked:
How to fix compatibility holds in Windows 10
Instead of having users run around looking for compatible drivers, Microsoft is working with vendors to release updated drivers that resolve any conflicts.

Once these drivers are ready, they will be installed via Windows Update so that the holds can be lifted, and the Windows 10 2004 update can be installed.

If you do not want to wait for Microsoft, you may be to find the updated drivers yourself, install them, and see if they resolve your compatibility hold.

The current list of compatibility holds and their possible resolutions.

Computability HoldResolution
Certain Intel iGPU driversPossible updated driver locations: Intel
Realtek Bluetooth radiosPossible updated driver locations: Microsoft Catalog
Conexant ISST Audio or Conexant HDAudio DriverN/A
Conexant HDAudio DriversN/A
GameInput RedistributableUninstall GameInput Redistributable
Thunderbolt docksPossible updated driver locations: Intel
Always On, Always Connected devicesWait for Microsoft
Conflicting aksfridge.sys or aksdf.sys driversWait for Microsoft
Nvidia display adapters (GPU) older than version 358.00Download the latest driver from NVIDIA
Memory Integrity security featureDisable Memory Integrity security feature

It should be noted that the above locations may not currently have updated drivers available for Windows 10 2004 and you may ultimately have to wait for Microsoft to release new drivers.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.