oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Updated to 2004 without issues.

FYI to those who didn't see my earlier configuration post: I waited a week after release and M$ gave me several Intel updates in the meantime. Today I disabled memory integrity and updated. Re-enabled memory integrity, M$ checked for driver compatibility automatically and proceeded problem-free.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
How did you update, oldschool, via the Settings app? I lost all patience with that and used the Update Assistant instead. Took all of 14 min. from start to finish.

I'm seeing some ESENT 642 warnings in Event Viewer but the number is down drastically since the past week or so. It's shaping up decently here so far. Hopefully it's the same for everyone else who took the plunge.

The latest NVIDIA driver 446.14 (release date 5/27/2020) is working great, installed the day of release.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I updated it back to April when it was released as RTM, and had no issues.
1591289596189.png

I was talking to a friend and he said:
"It depends on what hardware, drivers, and software you have on your machine, so it’s really not predictable.
If you do use standard and recent components, recent windows install, and up-to-date drivers, most probably you’ll be OK."

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017

Check out the comments on the blog i think 68k (username) is totally right Microsoft is big company they should hire more and test themselves

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yes, you would have to wait--didn't see anything changing from 1909 to 2004 in this respect. Did a quick search.

Did this myself in 1909 when there was already a cumulative update d/l so I got that space back within minutes, plus the setting remained intact going into 2004. Currently at 10.3 GB system files and 1.01 virtual memory--not bad at all.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Is it possible to inactivate Reserved Storage immediatly on 2004 or do one have to wait for next update for it to take effect like on 1909 or earlier?
Yes, you would have to wait--didn't see anything changing from 1909 to 2004 in this respect. Did a quick search.

Did this myself in 1909 when there was already a cumulative update d/l so I got that space back within minutes, plus the setting remained intact going into 2004. Currently at 10.3 GB system files and 1.01 virtual memory--not bad at all.
I think he's talking about the reserved storage feature that Windows reserved in C drive. That one can be disabled in this 2004 update.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
A relative of mine has had Stardock Start10 (start menu replacement) messed up with 2004, I've installed four PC's with the same Stardock program with no issues - He doesn't have NVIDIA graphics on either & are totally dissimilar PC's - One is an oldish AMD A6 desk the other a newer Tosh laptop - Nothing on the Stardock forum, anyone else has any similar issues?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Well, this is what I was already talking about. You still have to wait for a cumulative update in order to recoup that extra "reserved" space in 2004. Nothing has changed, it seems.

Oh I see. Sorry I forgot. I actually disabled it using CMD because like you said, it's not possible to do this from the UI yet.

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Well, this is what I was already talking about. You still have to wait for a cumulative update in order to recoup that extra "reserved" space in 2004. Nothing has changed, it seems.

That is correct, just did a test installation. Instead of a reg.file you can now use CMD but there is still no visible setting in Windows and no IMMEDIATE change.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.