Windows 10 version 2004 rollout imminent

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I was already complaining about this Disk Optimization bug "never run" back in March when it was confined to the Insider builds. The thing is, it was later fixed. Now it's expanded into a multiple mess. I don't want to use a third party for this, nor am I positive that running System Maintenance is actually trimming my SSD with that app like it should. Does Hard Disk Sentinel or something let you know if your disk needs trimming?

This is another one of Microsoft's hydras--you chop off one head and two more grow back.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I created a installation media using media creation tool and was planning to install 2004 on my laptop. I have been using Ubuntu 20 since it was released and I am very happy with it. It is fast and stable. I experienced some issues with my Epson L3060 printer but I could live with that.
They say on the Macrium Reflect forum that others did not see that issue I mentioned with 2004. I googled it and could not find any hits.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
More issues:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
And a fix:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
More issues:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
many drivers haven't support windows 10 2004 yet (example: nvidia, only developer preview version). Most drivers installed via windows updates are ancient versions => expect some incompatibility or slowness
at least on my side, it happened
wait 2-3 months before 2004 settles and we can safely use it

my audio driver, which will never be updated again since 2012, did not run very well on 2004 (froze frequently), but it is running well on 1909 and perfectly on windows 8.1

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Is this still the latest version and build

version 2004 20H1 (build 19041.264)?

It's available now at

Last edited:

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017

It's available now at

No the latest version is 10.0.19041.329

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

It's available now at

You can download 2004 with Microsoft tool (and also build USB drive with).
No need for external sources which maybe modify the file ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
A workaround for the broken fresh start by Bleeping Computer:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
A workaround for the broken fresh start by Bleeping Computer:
It seems to be intentional and no bug:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

It's available now at

This website directly download from Microsoft's servers and ISO downloaded from Microsoft's server won't contain latest updates. Only the original 2004 ISO in this case.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Since the last update I got on 2004 my sleep settings seem to be completely ignored. If I force sleep, I find my PC woken up the next time I walk in the room. I've had this happen before, but resolved with a restart. No dice this time.
We had this suddenly start happening on a Win 10 1909 desktop at home, it didn't co-incide with any OS updates and as far as I could see no major software updates. It lasted for about 6 weeks and then went away, I can't claim any credit for resolving the issue, anything I tried appeared to be a waste of time. So, I can't point you in a direction that might help you, sorry.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
We had this suddenly start happening on a Windows 10 1909 desktop at home, it didn't co-incide with any OS updates and as far as I could see no major software updates. It lasted for about 6 weeks and then went away, I can't claim any credit for resolving the issue, anything I tried appeared to be a waste of time. So, I can't point you in a direction that might help you, sorry.
It resolved mostly by turning off wake on lan, however after a reboot or a shut down and fresh boot it won't go to sleep automatically until I force sleep for the first time. It's baffling.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.