Windows 10 version 2004 rollout imminent

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
After being offered the 2004 update a couple of weeks ago, and it failing to install twice, I've avoided it. Today, when I checked for Defender updates, a notice appeared that the May 2020 upgrade is 'coming' and I will be offered it 'when it is ready' for my laptop. Nice to know that after a couple of hours of wasted time and failed upgrades, now they say it isn't ready for my laptop yet.

I may pass and just stay with what's working well - v1909.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

After doing some more Googling about my issue with the USB and PS/2 ports not working, I came across a post from someone who had the same issue in the past. They had resolved it by installing remote access software before upgrading, so that they could access the computer remotely to resolve the issues after the upgrade had finished. I thought this was worth a try. I did another clean install of 1909, installed TeamViewer and configured it for unattended access, and then upgraded again.

However, I did not need to use TeamViewer, as Microsoft have now fixed the issue. After upgrading this time, the keyboard and mouse were still working. I'm guessing that since the issue is fixed now, it probably won't happen again with future builds. But if it does, I should be able to fix it.

Glad to hear you got it working and the MS seems to have fixed the issue!

What does Ryzen has to do with it, we talking GPUs, not CPUs.

Ya I agree that it seems a little weird.

As to Ryzen I agree why is it even listed, however the only shread of thought that I can think of is laptops with intergradted graphics? AMD also has a couple of Ryzen CPUs for desktops that have integrated GPUs, so maybe it's referring to those situations.
the reason why microsoft screws up windows updates of late:

“The operating system is no longer the most important layer for us,” was the message from Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella yesterday. ... Windows is still a significant part of Microsoft's business, but it's not the future of it.Oct 3, 2019

MICROSOFT DOESN’T THINK WINDOWS IS IMPORTANT ANYMORE

MS is moving towards "software as a service" company. They started with Office 365 and I predict that they will do the same with others down the line. Heck even Windows my turn into that. I'm probably reading into this too much, but MS has been focusing a lot on open source and Linux, so I wouldn't put it pass them that they either just got hey, no more windows, use Linux and all of our software is compatible with it now, or they simply build a Lindows.:p

Let's be honest, the vast majority of W10 major updates have been plagued with issues when released and has become a running joke now. At some point MS might just go it's not worth it anymore and gets rid of Windows entirely.

Time will tell I guess.

L

Local Host

As to Ryzen I agree why is it even listed, however the only shread of thought that I can think of is laptops with intergradted graphics? AMD also has a couple of Ryzen CPUs for desktops that have integrated GPUs, so maybe it's referring to those situations.
That still doesn't make sense, they using VEGA for the GPU.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 72227

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
After being offered the 2004 update a couple of weeks ago, and it failing to install twice, I've avoided it. Today, when I checked for Defender updates, a notice appeared that the May 2020 upgrade is 'coming' and I will be offered it 'when it is ready' for my laptop. Nice to know that after a couple of hours of wasted time and failed upgrades, now they say it isn't ready for my laptop yet.

I may pass and just stay with what's working well - v1909.

...same here: still running build 1909 (without any problems). And i'm also receiving the same message for my laptop: '...when its ready.'

There is a thread on tenforums.com about this strange issue:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
There is a thread on tenforums.com about this strange issue:
There nothing strange about it. The second post on the link you posted, explains it well.
MS has probably discovered an issue since the original notification that would cause an issue on your PC. When they develop a fix it will be offered to you again. Consider yourself lucky and wait until it gets fixed. Think of it as the update is not yet ready for your PC.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
The sleep issue has returned and I discovered the issue. After a full shutdown or restart sleep settings for my desktop are changing from whatever time was set to never. If I change it back it will sleep as commanded until a restart or shutdown are performed.
I'm getting this happen again too. It stopped for 2 to 3 weeks and then after a restart over the weekend it has returned on that desktop. The settings in Power Options on that PC are -

Balanced (Active)

Sleep after 30 mins

Allow hybrid sleep - Yes

Hibernate after - Never

Allow wake timers - No ( the option to 'Enable' is showing)

I'll change some of these setting and report back if the PC remains in 'sleep' mode after a restart. This could be a while as I don't tend to restart or shut down this PC very often.

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
For me it's like this...tried 2004 update about one week ago and it totally screwed up my nvidia driver...the nvidia control panel context menu is gone and i can't getting it back no matter what...after the initial restart it's there and functional,after another restart it's gone.I tried to reinstalled it,it works but after the next restart it's gone again.I decided to reinstall the graphic driver completely and everything worked just fine....but again after another restart,the context menu is gone again.Never happened with 1909 and i plan to stay with it,meanwhile i blocked the WU.Anyway i have i fine Macrium Reflect image,i will try again these days the 2004 update and if the problem seems not to be solved back in 8 minutes to 1909.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
My NVIDIA Control Panel was missing also in the Context Menu but I had deliberately disabled the Display Container from Startup via Services to improve general startup. When I reset it to Automatic just now, it was in the desktop Context Menu again and survived a restart and a full shutdown. There are some guides online for this.

My BIOS uptime increased by a full 2 seconds in 2004, even with disabling most Startup items. :unsure:

I was lucky, I guess. I had a slightly older driver during 2004 installation and it made it thru. But I read where some have similar problems--plus the driver package is large--half a GB or more. I've had my share of problems also, in the past. :mad:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Microsoft lifts Windows 10 2004 update block on Surface devices -

"Microsoft removed a Windows 10 2004 safeguard hold applied to block customers from experiencing sporadic shutdowns and restarts on some Microsoft Surface devices after installing the Windows 10 May 2020 Update.
The known issue behind this compatibility update was causing both errors and unexpected shutdowns and restarts on Surface devices including Microsoft Surface Pro 7 and Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 with more than one Always On, Always Connected capable network adapters.
Microsoft resolved the issue on June 9 with the release of the KB4557957 cumulative update for Windows 10 2004 as part of the June 2020 Patch Tuesday.
The safeguard that prevented the devices' users from upgrading to the latest Windows 10 version was removed on June 29.
"Please note, it can take up to 48 hours before the update to Windows 10, version 2004 will be offered," Microsoft explains on the issue's Windows 10 health dashboard entry."

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft shares Windows 10 2004 workaround for Storage Spaces issue:
Microsoft has provided workarounds to help customers partially mitigate the impact of an issue affecting some devices with Parity Storage Spaces configurations after applying the May 2020 Update.

Storage Spaces is a Windows and Windows Server data redundancy technology that protects users' data from drive failures by storing copies on multiple drives just as RAID (redundant array of independent disks), but implemented in software.

Parity Storage Spaces can be used on systems with at least three drives and they work like RAID5 volumes.

The company also applied a compatibility hold on Windows 10, version 2004 and Windows Server, version 2004 devices using Parity Storage Spaces (computers with Simple Storage Spaces and Mirror Storage Spaces configurations are not affected).

Microsoft recommends customers to avoid "running the chkdsk command on any device affected by this issue" and says that reverting to a previous OS version will not resolve this known issue.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 10 2004 gets Troubleshooter for OneDrive Files on-Demand issue:
Microsoft has acknowledged OneDrive’s Files on-Demand issue in Windows 10 May 2020 Update and has released a troubleshooter as a workaround to affected devices to restore access to Files On-Demand.

After updating to Windows 10 2004, some users may receive this error from OneDrive:

“OneDrive cannot connect to Windows. Files on-Demand require a connection to Windows in order to show your files without taking up space on this device. OneDrive can keep trying to connect to Windows or you can choose to download all your files. You won’t be able to use online-only files until this fixed”.

Today Microsoft confirmed that “some older devices or devices with older apps installed that use legacy file system filter drivers might be unable to connect to OneDrive via the OneDrive app” after updating to Windows 10 May 2020 Update.

The company says devices affected, may not be able to “download new Files on-Demand or open previously synced/downloaded files”.

Microsoft has released a troubleshooter to affected Windows 10 2004 devices to restore access to OneDrive’s Files on-demand feature.

Depending on Troubleshoot settings in Windows 10, the Troubleshooter might run automatically on your device.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Windows 10 2004 gets Troubleshooter for OneDrive Files on-Demand issue:

Another post on this issue -

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
There are reports on Microsoft answers forum [1] [2] & Q&A site [3] [4] from the users that when they try to upgrade from Windows 10 1903/1909 to 2004, they’re receiving the following message:

“What needs your attention:
The following things need your attention to continue the installation and keep your Windows Settings, personal files, and apps.”

The dialog informs the user that “This PC can’t be upgraded to windows 10. Your PC Settings aren’t supported yet on this version of Windows 10. Microsoft is working to support your settings soon. No Action needed. Windows 10 will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically when these settings are supported”.

Microsoft employee on this thread has provided this generic solution to the issue:
  1. Update hardware drivers
  2. Disable Core isolation by visiting Settings > Windows Security > Open Security Center > Device Security > Core Isolation

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Like his disclaimer:
Windows 10 2004 has a lot of known issues, keep an eye on this page for mitigations, resolved issues and notifications, don’t be adventurous. You better wait for the update to come to your device.
Unfortunately, that page he linked to doesn't list all the issue there are with 2004.
I don't see the "Optimize Drives" issue there.
Here is a good writeup:

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Build 2004 is not available yet in Windows Update on the main laptop I use. I don't know if it was available at some point, as I have not been manually checking for updates until yesterday. I'm happy to wait as 1909 works fine. For example, yesterday was first time I've rebooted in 5 weeks and my system was still working fine before rebooting.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020

the reason why microsoft screws up windows updates of late:

“The operating system is no longer the most important layer for us,” was the message from Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella yesterday. ... Windows is still a significant part of Microsoft's business, but it's not the future of it.Oct 3, 2019

MICROSOFT DOESN’T THINK WINDOWS IS IMPORTANT ANYMORE

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Like his disclaimer: Windows 10 2004 has a lot of known issues, keep an eye on this page for mitigations, resolved issues and notifications, don’t be adventurous. You better wait for the update to come to your device.

In the vast majority of cases that is probably very sound advice, unless you have insights to all of the build 2004 issues.

Build 2004 is not available yet in Windows Update on the main laptop I use. I don't know if it was available at some point, as I have not been manually checking for updates until yesterday. I'm happy to wait as 1909 works fine. For example, yesterday was first time I've rebooted in 5 weeks and my system was still working fine before rebooting.

I checked for 2004 yesterday on a fairly recent i5 desktop, its not available for it yet either. I suspect this has a lot to do with it -

I'm not going to change any of my settings just to suit Microsoft and get 2004 now. I'll wait for them to release a version which can work with all of the options we choose to take up, or not, when setting W10 up in the way that we choose.

If Microsoft are trying to rein in some of the options we have been able to take up until now, that is a different matter. Not that I have any proof that this is the case, its just my long standing cynicism of what big tech companies might really be up to. :cautious:

I've just used the MediaCreationTool to download W10 for a friend's family PC, it got messed around by their kids downloading crap. Windows Explorer amongst other things does not work and they have no recent backup (I've told them many a time to do that regularly! ) :rolleyes:. A brand new install seemed like the best way to go. I had to use MediaCreationTool 2004 on another PC and I've got a version of 2004 for 'a different device', there were no options to choose 1909. The PC in question is quite old and I really doubt whether it will cope with 2004, and vice-versa, or indeed whether it will install properly. Fortunately I have a backed-up copy of 1909 to use. It seems like Microsoft haven't covered all bases with the current download options available yet. I know that the W10 installation process checks for updates etc, I'm not sure if it will rollback to an earlier version of W10 during the install process if it detects that the device is not ready for 2004, and vice-versa. Does anyone know if that happens?

Edit - punctuation error!

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I know that the W10 installation process checks for updates etc, I'm not sure if it will rollback to an earlier version of W10 during the install process if it detects that the device is not ready for 2004, and vice-versa. Does anyone know if that happens?
I think the install process just fails, but hopefully gives you a clue why it failed...
You will have to hunt down an older version of Windows 10 yourself.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.