amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
L

Local Host

Microsoft installs Windows 10 version 2004 on more devices automatically - gHacks Tech News

"Administrators who don't want their devices upgraded automatically need to block Windows Update functionality. It is also possible to install an earlier version of Windows 10, e.g. Windows 10 version 1909, on devices if that is preferred.

Now You: How do you handle operating system upgrades?"
Anyone using supported versions of Windows 10 won't automatically upgraded, Windows 10 1909 has extended support until May 11, 2021, and even Windows 10 1809 was extended to November 10, 2020 (due to COVID).

So anyone getting automatic upgrades, is extremely behind (1803 or lower).

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Today, Microsoft updated a help article to say users may receive any of the following error when they try to open Sandbox in Windows 10
  • “ERROR_VSMB_SAVED_STATE_FILE_NOT_FOUND (0xC0370400)”
  • “E_PATHNOTFOUND (0x80070003)”
Workaround: If you encounter above mentioned error, you need to restart your device to use Sandbox again without any issues, Microsoft says.

The company confirms it is working on a fix for the issue and will provide with an upcoming update to Windows 10.

Pro and Enterprise versions of Windows 10 1903, Windows 10 1909, and Windows 10 2004 are affected by this issue.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Still waiting for roll-out to my device.

Almost a month since, it is now available.

1595615063374.png

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
it seems to be a mess still. i have 5 computers i've tried to update. 2 of them updated fine with no problems. a dif one updated to 2004 fine, but breaks on the subsequent cumulative or security update (it downloads, restarts to update, and gets stuck in update loop. i unplug it, and it auto uninstalls the update upon restart). a dif computer blue screened me and i had to use system recovery to restore it. and the last downloads the 2004 update but refuses to install it, it just gives an error (after which it tries again and redownloads it). at this point, i just click the pause updates for a week button, i don't need to waste my life on Microsoft's incompetence.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Build 2004 is now available in Windows Update, on a computer on which is wan't available a few days ago and I'm installing it now. On my main computer, I can't check right now, as it needs to reboot to finish installing some updates from a few days ago. When I eventually reboot, I will check to see if it is now available.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018

The same news item, a different report on it.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Build 2004 is now available in Windows Update, on a computer on which is wan't available a few days ago and I'm installing it now. On my main computer, I can't check right now, as it needs to reboot to finish installing some updates from a few days ago. When I eventually reboot, I will check to see if it is now available.
I my recently clean installed 1909 via bootable USB it says:
1595674156177.png

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
I've got my DVD with 8.1 Pro and will drop back if they try to force me to upgrade. If I had my druthers, I'd love to get the Creator's Update from a couple of years ago back. That was the most trouble free of them all for me and this machine.
heheh, i still have a laptop with xp on it (for some old games). and you know what, that old beast is just as fast as a modern laptop with win10, albeit the laptop is 5x thicker, lol.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft is working on a resolution for a new issue causing the Desktop Windows Manager to crash on laptops if the lid is repeatedly closed and opened.

This new issue affects devices running all Windows 10 versions in scenarios involving displays configured to run at 4K resolution.

Desktop Window Manager (DWM) is a desktop composition Windows service introduced by Microsoft with the release of Windows Vista, forcing apps to draw pixels in video memory instead of the primary display device, rendering them to a desktop image that will then be displayed on the screen after applying visual effects and animations.

Windows uses DWM as the go-to desktop composition tool to obtain the final desktop image, as well as for enabling high-resolution support and for adding desktop visual effects.

"DWM.exe process stops responding when you repeatedly close and open the lid in Windows 10," Microsoft explains in a support note published last week.
"This problem occurs because of an issue in the Microsoft DirectX Video Memory Management (Dxgmms2.sys) component. This is not a hardware issue."

Microsoft is working on a resolution for this known issue that should be delivered to impacted devices as part of an upcoming Windows 10 release. However, the company doesn't provide an estimated timeline and doesn't say when exactly a fix should be expected to arrive.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
2004 and Windows Defender is still at it. I have clean installed 2004 on mom's laptop and I have decided to let WD there. Lately I have noticed, that it was running very loud. At first I thought, that it was caused by some coin miner and I sighed, that I will have to deal with it, so I postponed it for days. But to my "surprise", it was WD running at ~50% CPU all the time. I have installed Panda and it went quiet again. And some wonder, why people hate WD so much. 😒

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.