Windows 7 better than Windows 10, really?

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

which one you prefer?

• Total voters

Rolo

Level 18
Jun 14, 2015
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
BitDefender
Back when Microsoft released Windows 8.
Oh, now, 8 was a total abomination. That one I would say, "Unless you're on a tablet, skip it".

10 is what 8 should have been (like 7 is what Vista should have been and XP is what 2000 should have been).

Windows 10 was buggy for me but the bugs might have fixed by now. My biggest issue with Windows 10 is the inability to turn off updates. I don't like automatic updates, I prefer to do them manually. Another issue with Windows update is that the update system is really inefficient. It takes about 20% of background resources. This makes the battery life of my laptop almost half as good in Windows 10 compared to 8.1.
Bugs are definitely fewer but I may be comparing it to beta (used it almost a year before release).

Something is very wrong if anything is using 20% resources.

The only thing I really do not like about updates are the in-place upgrades (e.g. Anniversary update and most likely the Creators update in April).

Set your update options:
- Set the schedule
- Set delivery to "PCs on local network" (not setting that may be draining your battery)
- You can defer some updates

Your primary means of securing your system is automatic updates--especially for the OS. To go through the trouble to secure one's system yet not use automatic updates is self-defeating. I wish more software would automatically update itself (one big feature of UWP).

Besides, the Internet is shared. I don't want my bandwidth and latency interfered with because of bot-ridden automatic-updates-turned-off machines messing it up. No PC is an island. I'm glad they did that; they just better make sure forced updates never break anything.

Battery life should be better than 8 and definitely better than 7. I got an additional 2+ hours of HD video streaming over WiFi with 10 vs. 7 on my MSI GT70 17-inch gaming laptop (under 3 hrs to over 5).

Jan 16, 2017
Operating System
Windows 8.1
Installed Antivirus
Emsisoft
@deletedmesiah what you need is Windows 10 Pro, most of your concerns will disappear. Nothing is free in this world. You want free Windows 10, you get the inconveniences. MS is business, not charity.
If i had the money i will buy Windows 10 Enterprise right away.

About the updates, of course they can do better, but at least it is better than previous Windows.

They say your files belong to them? can you point me the sentence please?
You're right on nothing is free. But here's a catch, If you were to buy a new PC or a copy of Windows 10 Home, you are paying. No update option even when you pay.
I'll get a laptop with Pro when I update in the future. New processors won't support old Windows so I'll have to update.
I went a little aggressive there. I didn't word it properly, it was something like they can look into every one of your files in PC or something. EULA is long so can't read but I'll try to find articles related to it.

Oh, now, 8 was a total abomination. That one I would say, "Unless you're on a tablet, skip it".

10 is what 8 should have been (like 7 is what Vista should have been and XP is what 2000 should have been).

Bugs are definitely fewer but I may be comparing it to beta (used it almost a year before release).

Something is very wrong if anything is using 20% resources.

The only thing I really do not like about updates are the in-place upgrades (e.g. Anniversary update and most likely the Creators update in April).

Set your update options:
- Set the schedule
- Set delivery to "PCs on local network" (not setting that may be draining your battery)
- You can defer some updates

Your primary means of securing your system is automatic updates--especially for the OS. To go through the trouble to secure one's system yet not use automatic updates is self-defeating. I wish more software would automatically update itself (one big feature of UWP).

Besides, the Internet is shared. I don't want my bandwidth and latency interfered with because of bot-ridden automatic-updates-turned-off machines messing it up. No PC is an island. I'm glad they did that; they just better make sure forced updates never break anything.

Battery life should be better than 8 and definitely better than 7. I got an additional 2+ hours of HD video streaming over WiFi with 10 vs. 7 on my MSI GT70 17-inch gaming laptop (under 3 hrs to over 5).
Yes, it was using 20% of CPU. I had clean installed 10 after updating and the problem was still there.
I like automatic updates too or one click updates. But Windows updates have been inefficient. And updates bring bugs often, I prefer to update after being sure that there're no major bugs.
Good that your system's battery life was better in 10. Not for me though. Are you using SSD? How's your processor usage when updating?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rolo

Level 18
Jun 14, 2015
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
BitDefender
You're right on nothing is free. But here's a catch, If you were to buy a new PC or a copy of Windows 10 Home, you are paying. No update option even when you pay.
I'll get a laptop with Pro when I update in the future. New processors won't support old Windows so I'll have to update.
I went a little aggressive there. I didn't word it properly, it was something like they can look into every one of your files in PC or something. EULA is long so can't read but I'll try to find articles related to it.

Yes, it was using 20% of CPU. I had clean installed 10 after updating and the problem was still there.
I like automatic updates too or one click updates. But Windows updates have been inefficient. And updates bring bugs often, I prefer to update after being sure that there're no major bugs.
Good that your system's battery life was better in 10. Not for me though. Are you using SSD? How's your processor usage when updating?
Yes, I use an SSD...far less power consumption and far more speed/responsiveness.

I don't know what my CPU usage is during updates; it updates when I'm not using it, like its supposed to. When I do manual updates (I don't like to wait on Patch Tuesday), it doesn't impact system responsiveness at all (usability, streaming). I have good CPUs (i5-2500K, i7-4800MQ, i7-6650U) though.

If you're getting sluggishness during an update, check your storage drivers and chipset drivers. For platter drives, check fragmentation. For SSDs, check wear-leveling (may need a defrag IF stuff is splattered everywhere on the drive; otherwise, leave it alone--shouldn't be an issue if it's a clean install).

Jun 10, 2016
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Kaspersky
Windows 10 is much more stable and lighter than windows 7. When downloading windows updates update windows 10 it always goes fluid does not get slow with regular updates compared to windows 7 always kept them off so Windows 10 wins! (y):cool:

Soulweave

Staff member
Content Creator
Jan 14, 2015
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Kaspersky
Windows 10 is much more stable and lighter than windows 7. When downloading windows updates update windows 10 it always goes fluid does not get slow with regular updates compared to windows 7 always kept them off so Windows 10 wins! (y):cool:
never had a problem with W7 updates. But then again i used a different method

Evjl's Rain

Level 31
Verified
AV-Tester
Apr 18, 2016
Operating System
Windows 8.1
Installed Antivirus
Avast
Nov 20, 2015
TBH if Windows 10 had fewer bugs I would have voted for it. Right now after FCU it has become buggier for me. Folder icons in the Start Menu disappear, Metro apps won't open in 1 try, settings and store apps take countless tries to open, occasional freezes that required to turn off the laptop forcefully. Yes, I have also performed a clean install. I love Windows 10. I would have voted for 10 before FCU but at this moment I'd rather use Windows 7.

Umbra

Level 61
Content Creator
Verified
May 16, 2011
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Default-Deny
1- create a new admin account
2- log into it
3- delete the old one, all start menu issue disappears with it.

Nov 11, 2017
Operating System
Windows 7
Installed Antivirus
Zemana
I object to voting on Windows 10 which is still BETA unstable operation system. Windows 7 is much better for games and for the work.