Windows 7 better than Windows 10, really?

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

which one you prefer?

• Total voters

CMLew

Level 22
Oct 30, 2015
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Default-Deny
Hmm.. mine running Win10 but my specs are just Core M with 4GB RAM, though mine running SSD. So performance wise can i say it would be better off to run Win7? Not talking about security performance but more on speeds and stuffs.

Aug 31, 2016
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Default-Deny
Definitely Windows 10 - IMO every version of Windows, from version 7 to 10 has improved on the previous one. Even Windows 8 which the only issue I had with was the awful start menu, but that was easily corrected and didn't stop me using it. Under the hood, the improvements from each version are vast and shouldn't be underestimated. I've never had a stop error on Windows 10 and I can't say that about 7, and this is with exactly the same hardware. Not only that, this is on a Core 2 Duo 8400, 8 year old Dell Vostro!

Personally, I don't like the start menu in Windows 10, but I can live with it as I don't really use it that much to launch applications, not now I use Listary which is absolutely perfect for my needs and has improved my productivity leaps and bounds!

No OS is perfect, but I've used Windows since version 3 and nothing, apart from Windows ME, has put me off using Windows.

Mar 19, 2016
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Microsoft
Games play noticeably slower. Slower boot... downgraded happily.
You mean on really old hardware, right?
Have yet to see it perform any slower on systems with 3rd generation of Intel i5/i7 and up.
Besides gaming, my current rig cold boots around twice as fast with 10 than 7.

Did not respond well to tweaks.
Some tweaks use different registry entries, if you adjust your scripts accordingly they do work.
Although, a lot of tweaks floating around on the net are useless even for Windows 7.

Used 250ks more RAM (on average)
250KB?
Sorry to say so, but if 250KB higher RAM usage is of any concern for you, you definitely need to upgrade your hardware.

Evjl's Rain

Level 32
Content Creator
Verified
AV-Tester
Apr 18, 2016
Operating System
Windows 8.1
Installed Antivirus
Avast
Have yet to see it perform any slower on systems with 3rd generation of Intel i5/i7 and up.

Some tweaks use different registry entries, if you adjust your scripts accordingly they do work.
Although, a lot of tweaks floating around on the net are useless even for Windows 7.

250KB?
Sorry to say so, but if 250KB higher RAM usage is of any concern for you, you definitely need to upgrade your hardware.
I'm running windows 10 home because my laptop can handle it and because the laptop was shipped with w8.0 so it's better to stay to w10 than 7
However, in a very low-end laptop (2Gb ram), I tried to install w10 (pre-installed then uninstalled stuffs and tweaked) & w7 with tweaks I have learnt for years, w7 is x2-x5 faster to w10 because w10 is constantly using pagefile due to a lack of memory (causing 100% disk usage in normal tasks, not idle) while windows 7 doesn't
telling ppl to upgrade their hardware is a good idea but also the worst idea because they can do something that they don't have to upgrade to make their rigs work faster like installing w7 with tweaks. W10 with tweaks doesn't really work with low-end machines and it might cause 100% disk usage due to software-hardware conflicts

My cousin has a sony vaio i7-3630QM - 8Gb laptop. He upgraded to w10 from the official microsoft tool and it was totally screwed up because of 100% disk usage bug. He installed w7 again without any tweak and now it is x10 faster (maybe a bit exaggerated but you can understand how much faster it can be)
my girlfriend's sony vaio i5-4Gb ram had the exact same problem. perhaps, updating BIOS can fix it but who knows

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2014
Operating System
Windows 7

250KB?
Some tweaks work nicely, others don't seem to offer much, so less is more in that regard. I just keep my start up and programs to things I need and use, and no processes running in background for no reason.

Not to say Windows 10 isn't impressive... its a good OS, very light (on dual core +) and with RAM considering the selections and apps on it, and on default settings.

Just that for whatever reason this old laptop of mine, runs good on XP, great on 7 and sluggish on 10.

L

Lucent Warrior

Im running windows 10 pro AU on 2nd generation intel and it is smooth and fast as can be.

Windows 7 is a seasoned OS. It is still a solid contender. That said, updating windows 7 from a clean install is a lengthy, pain in the arse, and you better hope you do not get caught on one of the update/corrupted installer loops in the process. Last machine i updated from scratch of windows 7, which was about a week ago, had over 300 updates to start with upon the first scan for updates. o_O:eek::rolleyes:

Windows 10 has had it share of issues as well, but i can literally clean install it and have the drivers up to date, and be installing user programs in under a couple hours, i can not do this with windows 7, at least not a complete clean install.

Soulweave

Staff member
Content Creator
Jan 14, 2015
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Kaspersky
My only grip with W10 is the Theme support. Yes you have to use 3rd party tools just like W7, but not every theme available requires the same tools.

In regards to Updates, since I come from a Linux Background + everyone remembers the XP SP fiasco, offline updates will fix any issue in terms of speed.

Currently for W7/W8.1 you have two, while for W10 you have one.

For regular and average and even new user, W7 to W10, improvements been made and easier, no denying it.

Evjl's Rain

Level 32
Content Creator
Verified
AV-Tester
Apr 18, 2016
Operating System
Windows 8.1
Installed Antivirus
Avast
Windows update can increase or decrease system performance and it decreases drive C space

I had an old W7 machine w/ 2Gb of ram. After a full windows update with some cleanup and tweaks, it could never has the same speed as before

The best is to install windows with updates preinstalled so system would get the best performance. I feel like updating from the original windows will decrease speed rather than increase

I tried to install W7 ISO with all the latest updates preinstalled, it ran extremely fast. Then, I decided not to sacrifice system performance for those security updates unless they are written on newspapers that they really fix something or increase system performance

moreover, there was an update for windows 7 that caused BSOD. It was announced on many newspapers. I updated it before they announced. Guess what, BSOD + system restore didnt work => reinstalled windows for scatch
That's why I hate windows update
Just my story :)

Last edited:
R

Ramona

On my PC I use Windows 7 because I have the best performance and also a lot of programs that I use are not working on Windows 10 (some work, some have compatibility issues or low performance). My AV, Qihoo doesn't work that well on Windows 10 (the keylogger protection doesn't work at all) and so on.

On work (I'm Network Administrator & System Administrator), I had a lot of issues with Windows 10 (BSOD, performance issues and some software didn't work with Windows 10).

With Windows 10 I had a lot if issues with recovering from crashes or BSOD. A lot of the time I couldn't fix and I had to use the backup, when I use the backup software I couldn't boot and I used the Windows tool and other two software with same result. I only had issues with Windows 10.

I voted Windows 7 in the poll. :)

Soulweave

Staff member
Content Creator
Jan 14, 2015
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Kaspersky
Average Joe will be able to use such tool granted he reads the faq/guide.

jamescv7

Level 61
Verified
Mar 15, 2011
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Microsoft
Well I find much stable to have 3rd party to implement themes on Windows 7 rather Windows 10 because of nature where issues may occur promptly due various reasons. + the current theme of Windows 10 is much stable without any enhancements.

Jun 23, 2015
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Kaspersky
I vote for Windows 10, because they just release and the performance is going increase in the future and that think they gonna release 'Game Mode' is interesting. Nothing compared with W 7 and horrible Vista.

Oct 2, 2014
I'm using win 10 since I got free key but I have to admit that unistalling useless apps everytime windows updates is annoying. Win 7 was obviously better than 10 but Microsoft made it almost like win 10 so people will just upgrade. So now win 7 is not like it was before.
Of course I love win 10 performance and some features. But if I have to compare old win 7 vs win 10, old win 7 was better. Actual windows 7 vs win 10 I'll go win 10 and fight on tweaks to make it as good as possible.

Dec 30, 2016
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
F-Secure
Windows 10 works great at this stage. I haven't got any problems with them for a long time now. For those who still using windows 7 i would recommend to upgrade because in my opinion newer is always better.