Windows 7 Windows 7 better than Windows 10, really?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Umbra, Aug 13, 2016.

?

which one you prefer?

1. Win7

31.3%
  2. Win10

68.8%
  1. Nheo_Linkin

Nheo_Linkin Level 1

Feb 19, 2017
    Vietnam
    Windows 10
    Isolation
    True story but I still prefer Windows 10 :p. For some reason it's more stable than Windows 7 at least for my old laptop.
    "Stable" here is after long time using without any ultilities tool.

2. Nheo_Linkin

Nheo_Linkin Level 1

Feb 19, 2017
    Vietnam
    Windows 10
    Isolation
    Privacy is not the problem anymore. You can easily protect your privacy with a few steps of tweaking. Life must be improved, we can not just keep using windows 7 year by year. And also, are you sure that hacker can not hack your windows 7?

3. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    AppGuard LLC Virginia, U.S.
    LOL... people will still be using XP and 7 twenty years from now... they'll keep using it until the machine dies.

4. Nheo_Linkin

Nheo_Linkin Level 1

Feb 19, 2017
    Vietnam
    Windows 10
    Isolation
    I can not negate the fact that you said. But how about Vista? Perhaps 7 shouldn't be borned cause' people will use XP and Vista untill their machine dies?

5. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    #85 Umbra, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Put Win98 on it , you will have a a blazing fast OS. you won't even look back at Win7 :rolleyes:

Win10 updates are optimized, the way files are delivered is optimized so hence the faster speed, nothing to do with the network or whatever. And the problem is not the speed but the initiation of Win7 updates, waiting an eternal loop is already a sign of unreliability.

Again you lack of knowledge about Windows, Windows always prioritize running programs compared to background ones, if you launch a heavy resource software (game, video editing, ...) , Windows will liberate resources to allow them to the running application.

Again lack of knowledge; i use a MS account , in Win10 you have a PIN login system , it is proposed during installation (if you use a MS account) which is not related to the MS account , it was especially made for those kind of situation you describe.
    And even if you ever are locked out, there is a simple method to regain access to your machine, reinstall, use local account.

Pure paranoia... what hacker will be interested by you? none , they don't have time and resources to waste on you...

Win7 is even weaker in term of security, they don't need hack your apps, they will just hack your OS. Win7 is the favorite targeted OS ever, maybe beaten by WinXP.

Same for all OS.

Can you stop with your hacker nonsense? to hack you they need to get your IP which must be static, bypass your router NAT firewall, find the open ports in your system , get admin rights, etc... then plant a RAT and other malware to keep tracking you. All this efforts to get what? 3 pictures of you? come on gimme a break with your hacker nonsense. Stop watching hackers movies...

I had Hacker's "friends" , not the small kid using tools, real ones ; i can tell you they just need your machine hardware, not your files or life, they don't care of it; they need your machine to gain more bandwidth to distribute large scale attacks or store illegal files.
    For them you are as interesting as an ant is for a god...

Azure Phoenix, Rolo and Nheo_Linkin like this.
  6. Rolo

Rolo Level 18

Jun 14, 2015
    Retired Electronics, Computer, Network Engineer
    North Carolina
    Windows 10
    BitDefender
    Naw, man, GEOS was made for speed!
    And for older hardware!

Umbra likes this.
  7. TheJokerz

TheJokerz Level 4

Jan 7, 2016
    Information Technology
    Ohio
    Windows 10
    Webroot
    Love the new Win 10 environment. My pc is fast and snappy. I only use it for gaming so I am not super concerned about virus and the such. It took a while to customize everything the way I wanted it but it is beautiful now!

8. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    Never had I heard such a story, did you report to Microsoft and have a copy of the link or screenshot of 25gb of RAM being used.

All your Web accounts should have 2 Factor Authentication enabled. You're at fault for keeping an insecure Microsoft account.

You clearly lack knowledge of how UWP work. I don't have the full details, because I am not a developer, but AFAIK they are permission-based apps and are far more secure than non-Store apps. Software installed to Program Files or App Data, as on Windows 7, are permitted full access to all existing data on your computer. Isn't that how Ransomware works, with full access and privileges.

Windows Store apps work similar to iOS and Android apps. You can allow or deny Apps access to your Camera, Location, Contacts etc. So if you wish, you can disallow Skype UWP from accessing your Camera. This cannot be done as easily on Windows 7, without some third-party HIPS or Disabling the Camera Driver.

Sharing access to Contacts for Mail, allows the Mail client to send Emails to linked contacts. Or Location for Maps usage.

9. Exterminator

Exterminator Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 23, 2012
    USA
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Windows 10 is hands down the best OS and IMO arguably the best OS period.
    The privacy paranoia is really out of control especially when there are many ways to deal with the problem,that is if it is a problem to the user.
    Take it from somebody that knows,the average "Joe" is no where on anyone's radar.
    Unless you are trolling the dark web or you did something to get on the radar nobody in the government,and I would imagine Microsoft,is watching anyone or concerned in watching anyone having sex.

Just keep the conversation on topic or we will have to close another thread :rolleyes:

_CyberGhosT_, Rolo and Nightwalker like this.
  10. Evgeny

Evgeny Level 6

May 1, 2015
    Krym
    Use windows classic shell, this is what im using, so its like windows 7 again to me.

wolf8619 likes this.
  11. Music4Ever

Music4Ever Level 2

Aug 4, 2016
    Hospice
    Sheffield UK
    Windows 10
    ESET
    #91 Music4Ever, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2017
    Much prefer 10 - With the simple addition of an inexpensive ‘Start Menu’ (I use Stardock Start10) & the free ‘O&O ShutUp’ which prevent most info going back to MS, I can’t really see what there is not to like about it? - From my point of view there is nothing when comparing 10 to 7 not to like about 10 – On the same PC’s its faster, snappier & more secure, IMHO it’s the best OS MS have made.

Stardock Start10

Attached Files:

• 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      367.6 KB
      Views:
  12. floflo

floflo Level 1

Feb 13, 2017
    romania
    Windows 8.1
    BitDefender
    8.1 is good and mature:)

13. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Level 7

May 26, 2014
    Lawyer
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    What is really interesting is the double standard that people use to judge Windows 10; they all say that Windows 10 is so privacy unfriendly and invasive and yet that same people praise Android and iOS, who actually are much more intrusive than Microsoft's OS.

Apparently it is still cool to hate Microsoft ...

14. Rolo

Rolo Level 18

Jun 14, 2015
    Retired Electronics, Computer, Network Engineer
    North Carolina
    Windows 10
    BitDefender
    Many, I included, said the same thing about XP/Vista/7's new control panel. I hated it. But, over time, we got used to it and it wasn't a problem.

The same for W10: you gave up too quickly and didn't give yourself enough time to adjust and to use it long enough to decide if you liked it better. People generally do not like change and resist it, even if the change is beneficial.

Give it a real chance and quite possibly you'll enjoy the upgrade. You can always go back if you still hate it.

My only criticism is that they should have had finished Settings, stuck with Control Panel only, or have both. This back-and-forth between the two is utter nonsense. That's my only real beef with 10 but it isn't the end of the world; other than this, its essentially the same as using 7 only better (tiles are neat, no more splattered start menu, display "tricks" are nice, far better multimonitor support, security, low overhead (no Aero)...

TerrakionSmash and Exterminator like this.
  15. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    #95 Umbra, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    @wolf8619 First can you use proper punctuation , some of your posts are difficult to read...

No need to work for MS , this is called experience & skills, i'm using and learned about Windows since decades. What the relation about call center?

What is your first OS ? Win7 ? did you used Win95-98-XP before? your arguments are the same most common people say about every new version of Windows. They hated it, and after 1-2 years of use, they love it so bad that they forgot the hate they had for it...funny.
    Look at all those Win7 lovers, many hated it because it was so different from XP...
    In 2020 , Win7 will not be supported ; what you will do? you will stay on a vulnerable OS?

So you have difficulties to use Win10 , does that mean everybody has too? so that Win10 is crap? Surely not. Don't blame a product if you don't have the skill to use it. I don't say a Formula 1 is crap because i don't know how to drive it properly.
    Do you know the security enhancement and optimizations Win10 afford over Win7? from what i read of your comments, no.

Win8 introduced a new start menu, designed for desktop , tablet, touch screens; in Win10 they give back some of the usability you had on Win7.
    You have 2 control panels , one for basic users settings, one for more advanced tasks (like those needed for admins) . Not their best move, sure, but not difficult to use; if you still have difficulties to use it after a week/month , so you have a personal cognitive problem .

I have friends who are hardcore gamers, other even professional players, they have no issues on Win10, even if they prefer Win7 not because it is better but because they are used to it; but they never said it is crap as you do.

I'm not here to make you feel good and happy nor to attack/embarrass you , I'm here to moderate members, correct mistakes they may say and do , and teach those who don't know (to the extend of my knowledge).
    I'm here to give back confidence and orient beginner members about safe practices in computing; not to spread FUD with threats that will not affect them before a while. Several of your posts are about misunderstanding or misconceptions.
    I know the dangers of cyberworld, more than you think, "before knowing to defend yourself , you have to at least know how to attack" ( if you see what i mean) and so i can use my experience from the past to now help users.

And yes, i'm straight and direct, i can even be perceived as "rude" to people saying obvious nonsense or trying to misinform people by using biased/incorrect/exaggerated opinions/articles. I'm fine with it, and most people respect me for that.
    i don't lie, i don't coat my words with sugar to please people, i say the plain truth as i know it backed by official documents and my experience on the subject, simple as that.

Before stating something, i do my researches, check the facts, use my experience (if any) and only then i state something with documented facts. So should you.
    I don't have any reason to "attack" people saying valid things, you don't agree with me , fine, im ok with that, but give me documented valid proof of what you are saying, and i will gladly accept and you can even teach me something; but point me articles/facts from pseudo-experts magazines/blogs that just parrot inexact sources, then i will come after you like the Fire of Hell.

16. Exterminator

Exterminator Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 23, 2012
    USA
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    I can remember when Back on XP when Windows 7 came out and it took me a couple years to move to it permanently.
    I had XP & 7 on a dual boot but always used XP.Funny thing is once I used 7 for a while I never even thought about going back to XP

Although when Windows 10 came out I did initially have it dual booted with 7 it only took me a couple months to move to Windows 10 completely.
    I have to agree with @Rolo in that you have to give it a go for a decent period of time to get adjusted to it.

17. Nheo_Linkin

Nheo_Linkin Level 1

Feb 19, 2017
    Vietnam
    Windows 10
    Isolation
    Back when Microsoft released Windows 8. I didn't even think I would upgrade to 8 until one of my friend showed me how fast his pc was in 8.
    So all these comparasions just give us a look of each OS pro and cons but decide nothing. Don't be like "Oh hey Windows 7 win on this, Windows 7 win on that, so Windows 7 is the best guys". It's all up to user experiences.

Umbra likes this.
  18. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    @Nheo_Linkin Indeed, experience (in all its meanings) is the keyword; and you don't get experienced by using something just one day or week. To get a good experience , you need a good understanding.

_CyberGhosT_ and Nheo_Linkin like this.
  19. Deletedmessiah

Deletedmessiah Level 15

Jan 16, 2017
    SSD
    Windows 8.1
    Emsisoft
    Windows 10 was buggy for me but the bugs might have fixed by now. My biggest issue with Windows 10 is the inability to turn off updates. I don't like automatic updates, I prefer to do them manually. Another issue with Windows update is that the update system is really inefficient. It takes about 20% of background resources. This makes the battery life of my laptop almost half as good in Windows 10 compared to 8.1. This happened even when I made my connection metered. Updates didn't download but the process kept running in the background. The forced restart problem talked a lot in the internet also discouraged me to keep using 10. What Microsoft needs to do is make Windows update more efficient. And they should provide "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install" option. Remove "suggestions" aka ads completely from Home version. Don't cripple home version and treat home users like beta testers. And change that eula back to what it was before. They don't have the right to claim MY files belongs to them. This is too much. I'll keep using 8.1 for sometime. In the future I'd have to use 10 after buying new PC, I hope they fix all these nonsense by then.

20. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    @deletedmesiah what you need is Win10 Pro, most of your concerns will disappear. Nothing is free in this world. You want free Win10, you get the inconveniences. MS is business, not charity.
    If i had the money i will buy Win10 Enterprise right away.

About the updates, of course they can do better, but at least it is better than previous Windows.

They say your files belong to them? can you point me the sentence please?

_CyberGhosT_ likes this.