Advice Request Windows 7 better than Windows 10, really?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
OK , so i have installed Win7 on a low-end laptop (1ghz atom cpu, 2gb Ram) which is a similar specs available at Win7 release , and since many many people claimed that Win10 is crappy compared to Win7 ; let me compared Win7 to Win10 ... i will even use Win7 Ultimate vs Win10 Home

this will be a real-time comparison made like Average Joe would.

please don't mention about privacy , it is not the purpose here.

Installation
(Win10 win)

both OS are in the latest ISO from USB using Rufus

Win7 : the installation was properly made, nothing special there
Win10: same as Win7, did customized setting , etc...

Then there the first expected fail of Win7 ; it doesn't have the proper drivers for my machine; which was released for Win8. So basically i ended up with no network, so i can't have Windows Updates...
I was expected it so i have them downloaded prior to the installation, but Average Joe won't think of it and if he doesn't have another PC under hands, he is done...

Post Installation (no winner)

Win7:
user account creation is classic , nothing to complain here.
Win10: MS push you to use a MS account for various purposes, but a local account is permitted ; so here nothing to complain too.

Windows Updates (Win10 win)

when i install an OS , the first thing i do is Windows Update to get latest compatible drivers and security fixes.

Win7:
Windows update hang and download nothing, if i didn't have a network traffic monitoring tool i could wait for hours. so i started wasting my time looking for fixes and finally find one here Windows 7 - Windows Updates hanging and not downloading?
Win10: clicked "check updates, after less than a minute , all are displayed, downloaded , installed without issues. I heard that some users had problems with it and some updates smashed their system, but i did dozen of Win10 installs and never get one.
If you worry, you can force Win10 to download only fixes and not drivers. ( PC > Hardware > Device Installation Settings)

Installation of updates in Win10 is smoother and less subject to errors/crash , not saying than on Win7 the display of the updates is very bad , you don't know if it is installing or hanging...

Post installation Cleaning/Tweaking/Backup (Not for Average Joe) (Win7 win)

After updating the OS, i always clean it and do various tweaks and modifications to make it "faster" , safer, and easier to use. Among those tweaks are services customization, security tweaks via registry/group policies, etc...Then finish by a backup using Windows Backup.

Win7: all options are in the same place (control panel ), they are easy to get.
Win10: i dont know why they decided to split the settings in 2 places , it make it harder to do since you have to navigate in "Settings" which may redirect to Control Panel...

In term of customization and control Win7 is better than Win10, (Win10 removing many of the control you had in Win7).
It is the main reason why Geeks and other advanced users stick to Win7.
For the backup no difference because Win10 uses Win7 system :D

I will post my Customized Win7 theme, im sure you will love it ;)
there the screenshot : Desktops Show Off!

Built-in Security (Win10 win)

when the OS is totally installed, cleaned, tweaked, it is time to check the security.

Win7: unless you have a version of Win7 with Applocker, Win7 barely give you anything to protect yourself, you must look for a 3rd party application.
Win10: MS did its best to give to the customers a secure OS , so many security implementations were made (kernel enhanced protection, secureboot, integrated AV, system wide reputation feature, new integrity level, etc...) , as a common user , you barely need anything else; security geeks however... ;)

3rd Party security softs (Win7 Win)

Now that we knows the security features of the OS, it is up to the user to add its favored security soft.

Win7: All the actual security softs works on Win7 , so there is no problem.
Win10: due to some restrictive adjustments made to the kernel, some softs can't run anymore on Win10 and some can't use or lost some of their features/protection (KIS, Webroot, Zemana, etc...).

Performance (Win10 win)

now all is set , we can start enjoy the OS...as i said earlier , both OS were tested on a machine with the technology available at their release. There is no point on comparing a new OS on a machine made to run on a older OS. the older OS will always perform better.

Win7: Quite fast and if you disable Aero and sounds, Win7 is even faster.
Win10: Win7 has a huge advantage on Win7 , it is the Hybrid Boot (aka Fast Boot) that really increase the boot time of the machine. However Win10 has many feature that eat resources and honesty not really needed and those can be disabled (as you can do for Win7)

Usability (Win7 win)

What is important is usability, you won't spend too much time looking for something.
This comparison was made on laptops not a tablets , so i judged it accordingly.

Win7: all is at the same place, easily accessible.
Win10: Win8/10 were made for tablet first (and desktop after) , so the usability is quite different.

Luckily MS improved the desktop experience of Win 10 with the lastest Anniversaty Update. but in a overall point of view ,Win7 is better on desktop/laptop machines.

Conclusion:

the Winner is Win10 because its security and core enhancements and optimization, however Win7 keep the leadership in term of customization/control and usability.

Ok so it is finish now, so you are welcome to comment; i tried to do this comparison as fair as possible for both OS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nheo_Linkin

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2017
True story but I still prefer Windows 10 :p. For some reason it's more stable than Windows 7 at least for my old laptop.
"Stable" here is after long time using without any ultilities tool.

Nheo_Linkin

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2017
For those who are not concerned about privacy regardless if you have not done anything wrong and are innocent, its still unnerving that Microsoft is collecting data on you from multiple apps what you do when you do it how you use it if you indeed use them and if Microsoft can what is stopping a hacker from learning about you the more a hacker can learn about you the more a hacker can destroy your life.
Privacy is not the problem anymore. You can easily protect your privacy with a few steps of tweaking. Life must be improved, we can not just keep using windows 7 year by year. And also, are you sure that hacker can not hack your windows 7?

Thread author
LOL... people will still be using XP and 7 twenty years from now... they'll keep using it until the machine dies.

Nheo_Linkin

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2017
LOL... people will still be using XP and 7 twenty years from now... they'll keep using it until the machine dies.
I can not negate the fact that you said. But how about Vista? Perhaps 7 shouldn't be borned cause' people will use XP and Vista untill their machine dies?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Well for me its windows 7 from pushing the on button to being at the desktop ready to go is 40 seconds, depending on what you are doing my process count is 60 however before i go further ill explain the system i have which is.

Windows 7
intel 4gen i5 @3.10Ghz X 4 cores
25 GB of ram
Nvidia GTX 750 + 2 GB DDR 5 ram
Hard drive 1:185GB
Hard drive 2:595GB

Put Win98 on it , you will have a a blazing fast OS. you won't even look back at Win7 :rolleyes:

If downloads are taking to long have you considered your internet sucks such as mine does during the day my line speed fluctuates from 3Mbps to 7Mbps im on the fastest internet available besides the NBN that is rolling out fiber optics plus you have to consider the amount of people on the network outside your house and of those plus many more around the world trying to download updates from Microsoft servers as well as that there are a lot of windows 7 users compared to windows 10 users so windows 10 servers are not even being strained hence the fast update speeds.

Win10 updates are optimized, the way files are delivered is optimized so hence the faster speed, nothing to do with the network or whatever. And the problem is not the speed but the initiation of Win7 updates, waiting an eternal loop is already a sign of unreliability.

Navigating windows 10 is a nightmare and if im not mistaken i used privazer to clean my windows 10 and windows 10 seems similar to windows vista in the fact it uses a lot of your ram when i cleaned windows 10 with privazer windows 10 had locked up most of my 25GB of ram with that being said how am i meant to do anything else when windows 10 is taking most of it I use my computer for gaming some of the games i play or want to play require 8GB of ram.

Again you lack of knowledge about Windows, Windows always prioritize running programs compared to background ones, if you launch a heavy resource software (game, video editing, ...) , Windows will liberate resources to allow them to the running application.

Indeed windows 10 allows you to use a local account on the current machine or if you like you can use your hotmail/outlook email account to log into your computer. That being said what happens if your email account is compromised from the email account side said hacker changes your password, If you have told windows 10 to use your email account details to log into your computer does your computer need access to the internet to confirm your email log in details to allow you to log in to your computer. if so if a hacker has compromised your email account and changed the password how are you going to log in to your windows 10 when your windows 10 has the password you gave it and its conflicting with the password the hacker issued.

Again lack of knowledge; i use a MS account , in Win10 you have a PIN login system , it is proposed during installation (if you use a MS account) which is not related to the MS account , it was especially made for those kind of situation you describe.
And even if you ever are locked out, there is a simple method to regain access to your machine, reinstall, use local account.

with all these fancy apps windows 10 has gives more to hackers if they get into your system say if you like using the calendar for example you have a party your going to windows 10 location segment allows hackers to know where you are not precisely where you are but they are getting ever closer to where you might live while your out unaware if the hacker is a thief in the digital world and perhaps in the real world he or she may just let herself in take what is yours.

Pure paranoia... what hacker will be interested by you? none , they don't have time and resources to waste on you...

the more stuff you put into something the more you give the bad guys opportunities to find weaknesses and ways to exploit those weaknesses and if you like using those new apps in windows 10 and you have no problem with privacy concerns such as allowing windows 10 your location or you like using the calendar thing etc you are in a sense putting all your personal details on a silver platter for hackers to steal compared to using windows 7.

Win7 is even weaker in term of security, they don't need hack your apps, they will just hack your OS. Win7 is the favorite targeted OS ever, maybe beaten by WinXP.

given it does not have the fancy new apps, Windows 7 is easy to use easy to navigate its game friendly uses hardly any resources and windows 7 is easy to config and its easy to fix providing you have the operating disk and if you want a clean install of windows 7 format the hard drive and reinstall if you think there are fragments of the old operating system left use a program like Privazer to clean under the rug where we think we have deleted everything but is still there.

Same for all OS.

For those who are not concerned about privacy regardless if you have not done anything wrong and are innocent, its still unnerving that Microsoft is collecting data on you from multiple apps what you do when you do it how you use it if you indeed use them and if Microsoft can what is stopping a hacker from learning about you the more a hacker can learn about you the more a hacker can destroy your life.

Can you stop with your hacker nonsense? to hack you they need to get your IP which must be static, bypass your router NAT firewall, find the open ports in your system , get admin rights, etc... then plant a RAT and other malware to keep tracking you. All this efforts to get what? 3 pictures of you? come on gimme a break with your hacker nonsense. Stop watching hackers movies...

I had Hacker's "friends" , not the small kid using tools, real ones ; i can tell you they just need your machine hardware, not your files or life, they don't care of it; they need your machine to gain more bandwidth to distribute large scale attacks or store illegal files.
For them you are as interesting as an ant is for a god...

TheJokerz

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2016
Love the new Win 10 environment. My pc is fast and snappy. I only use it for gaming so I am not super concerned about virus and the such. It took a while to customize everything the way I wanted it but it is beautiful now!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows 7
intel 4gen i5 @3.10Ghz X 4 cores
25 GB of ram
Nvidia GTX 750 + 2 GB DDR 5 ram
Hard drive 1:185GB
Hard drive 2:595GB

... if im not mistaken i used privazer to clean my windows 10 and windows 10 seems similar to windows vista in the fact it uses a lot of your ram when i cleaned windows 10 with privazer windows 10 had locked up most of my 25GB of ram with that being said how am i meant to do anything else when windows 10 is taking most of it.

the more stuff you put into something the more you give the bad guys opportunities to find weaknesses and ways to exploit those weaknesses and if you like using those new apps in windows 10 and you have no problem with privacy concerns such as allowing windows 10 your location or you like using the calendar thing etc you are in a sense putting all your personal details on a silver platter for hackers to steal compared to using windows 7.
Never had I heard such a story, did you report to Microsoft and have a copy of the link or screenshot of 25gb of RAM being used.

All your Web accounts should have 2 Factor Authentication enabled. You're at fault for keeping an insecure Microsoft account.

You clearly lack knowledge of how UWP work. I don't have the full details, because I am not a developer, but AFAIK they are permission-based apps and are far more secure than non-Store apps. Software installed to Program Files or App Data, as on Windows 7, are permitted full access to all existing data on your computer. Isn't that how Ransomware works, with full access and privileges.

Windows Store apps work similar to iOS and Android apps. You can allow or deny Apps access to your Camera, Location, Contacts etc. So if you wish, you can disallow Skype UWP from accessing your Camera. This cannot be done as easily on Windows 7, without some third-party HIPS or Disabling the Camera Driver.

Sharing access to Contacts for Mail, allows the Mail client to send Emails to linked contacts. Or Location for Maps usage.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Windows 10 is hands down the best OS and IMO arguably the best OS period.
The privacy paranoia is really out of control especially when there are many ways to deal with the problem,that is if it is a problem to the user.
Take it from somebody that knows,the average "Joe" is no where on anyone's radar.
Unless you are trolling the dark web or you did something to get on the radar nobody in the government,and I would imagine Microsoft,is watching anyone or concerned in watching anyone having sex.

Just keep the conversation on topic or we will have to close another thread :rolleyes:

Evgeny

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2015
i disagree i think windows 10 is rubbish and not real user friendly even coming from windows 7 i have difficulty using windows 10 trying to access what use to be the control panel is a nightmare no matter what any body says for me i still prefer windows 7 because its easy to use it plays my games like i want i can watch my movies like i want i know how to fix it if it breaks.

as you people with more experience instead of jumping down my throat please explain in laymans terms or in a simple way and calm and collected manner a way to address concerns people may have like me and many others who dislike windows 10 the ins and outs of windows 10 because it seems to me people like me who lack understanding or don't like windows 10 gets hounded by those who are experienced with windows 10 and seem to go on the defensive as moderators must be calm and collected at all times when dealing with the public as the public we have our own thoughts and how we perceive stuff so without ripping our heads off and making us feel or me feel like a piece of sh*t because i lack the understanding of windows 10 go hey wolf or whoever hold up buddy windows 10 is not as bad as you think and heres why here is how to deal with those privacy issues or login issues nah its easy heres why heres how microsoft has redesigned it if navigating is a problem heres how to get around that thats how it should be introduced to people like who lack the understanding of windows 10.
Use windows classic shell, this is what im using, so its like windows 7 again to me.

Reactions: wolf8619

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Much prefer 10 - With the simple addition of an inexpensive ‘Start Menu’ (I use Stardock Start10) & the free ‘O&O ShutUp’ which prevent most info going back to MS, I can’t really see what there is not to like about it? - From my point of view there is nothing when comparing 10 to 7 not to like about 10 – On the same PC’s its faster, snappier & more secure, IMHO it’s the best OS MS have made.

i disagree i think windows 10 is rubbish and not real user friendly even coming from windows 7 i have difficulty using windows 10 trying to access what use to be the control panel is a nightmare no matter what any body says for me i still prefer windows 7 because its easy to use it plays my games like i want i can watch my movies like i want i know how to fix it if it breaks.

Stardock Start10

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 432

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Windows 10 is hands down the best OS and IMO arguably the best OS period.
The privacy paranoia is really out of control especially when there are many ways to deal with the problem,that is if it is a problem to the user.
Take it from somebody that knows,the average "Joe" is no where on anyone's radar.
Unless you are trolling the dark web or you did something to get on the radar nobody in the government,and I would imagine Microsoft,is watching anyone or concerned in watching anyone having sex.

Just keep the conversation on topic or we will have to close another thread :rolleyes:

What is really interesting is the double standard that people use to judge Windows 10; they all say that Windows 10 is so privacy unfriendly and invasive and yet that same people praise Android and iOS, who actually are much more intrusive than Microsoft's OS.

Apparently it is still cool to hate Microsoft ...

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
i disagree i think windows 10 is rubbish and not real user friendly even coming from windows 7 i have difficulty using windows 10 trying to access what use to be the control panel is a nightmare
Many, I included, said the same thing about XP/Vista/7's new control panel. I hated it. But, over time, we got used to it and it wasn't a problem.

The same for W10: you gave up too quickly and didn't give yourself enough time to adjust and to use it long enough to decide if you liked it better. People generally do not like change and resist it, even if the change is beneficial.

Give it a real chance and quite possibly you'll enjoy the upgrade. You can always go back if you still hate it.

My only criticism is that they should have had finished Settings, stuck with Control Panel only, or have both. This back-and-forth between the two is utter nonsense. That's my only real beef with 10 but it isn't the end of the world; other than this, its essentially the same as using 7 only better (tiles are neat, no more splattered start menu, display "tricks" are nice, far better multimonitor support, security, low overhead (no Aero)...

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
@wolf8619 First can you use proper punctuation , some of your posts are difficult to read...

seems like you know a lot about windows 10 you must work for Microsoft how are the call centers up your way going?
No need to work for MS , this is called experience & skills, i'm using and learned about Windows since decades. What the relation about call center?

What is your first OS ? Win7 ? did you used Win95-98-XP before? your arguments are the same most common people say about every new version of Windows. They hated it, and after 1-2 years of use, they love it so bad that they forgot the hate they had for it...funny.
Look at all those Win7 lovers, many hated it because it was so different from XP...
In 2020 , Win7 will not be supported ; what you will do? you will stay on a vulnerable OS?

So you have difficulties to use Win10 , does that mean everybody has too? so that Win10 is crap? Surely not. Don't blame a product if you don't have the skill to use it. I don't say a Formula 1 is crap because i don't know how to drive it properly.
Do you know the security enhancement and optimizations Win10 afford over Win7? from what i read of your comments, no.

Win8 introduced a new start menu, designed for desktop , tablet, touch screens; in Win10 they give back some of the usability you had on Win7.
You have 2 control panels , one for basic users settings, one for more advanced tasks (like those needed for admins) . Not their best move, sure, but not difficult to use; if you still have difficulties to use it after a week/month , so you have a personal cognitive problem .

I have friends who are hardcore gamers, other even professional players, they have no issues on Win10, even if they prefer Win7 not because it is better but because they are used to it; but they never said it is crap as you do.

as you people with more experience instead of jumping down my throat please explain in laymans terms or in a simple way and calm and collected manner a way to address concerns people may have like me and many others who dislike windows 10 the ins and outs of windows 10 because it seems to me people like me who lack understanding or don't like windows 10 gets hounded by those who are experienced with windows 10 and seem to go on the defensive as moderators must be calm and collected at all times when dealing with the public as the public we have our own thoughts and how we perceive stuff so without ripping our heads off and making us feel or me feel like a piece of trash because i lack the understanding of windows 10 go hey wolf or whoever hold up buddy windows 10 is not as bad as you think and heres why here is how to deal with those privacy issues or login issues nah its easy heres why heres how microsoft has redesigned it if navigating is a problem heres how to get around that thats how it should be introduced to peopYou feel le like who lack the understanding of windows 10.

I'm not here to make you feel good and happy nor to attack/embarrass you , I'm here to moderate members, correct mistakes they may say and do , and teach those who don't know (to the extend of my knowledge).
I'm here to give back confidence and orient beginner members about safe practices in computing; not to spread FUD with threats that will not affect them before a while. Several of your posts are about misunderstanding or misconceptions.
I know the dangers of cyberworld, more than you think, "before knowing to defend yourself , you have to at least know how to attack" ( if you see what i mean) and so i can use my experience from the past to now help users.

And yes, i'm straight and direct, i can even be perceived as "rude" to people saying obvious nonsense or trying to misinform people by using biased/incorrect/exaggerated opinions/articles. I'm fine with it, and most people respect me for that.
i don't lie, i don't coat my words with sugar to please people, i say the plain truth as i know it backed by official documents and my experience on the subject, simple as that.

Before stating something, i do my researches, check the facts, use my experience (if any) and only then i state something with documented facts. So should you.
I don't have any reason to "attack" people saying valid things, you don't agree with me , fine, im ok with that, but give me documented valid proof of what you are saying, and i will gladly accept and you can even teach me something; but point me articles/facts from pseudo-experts magazines/blogs that just parrot inexact sources, then i will come after you like the Fire of Hell.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Many, I included, said the same thing about XP/Vista/7's new control panel. I hated it. But, over time, we got used to it and it wasn't a problem.

Give it a real chance and quite possibly you'll enjoy the upgrade. You can always go back if you still hate it.
I can remember when Back on XP when Windows 7 came out and it took me a couple years to move to it permanently.
I had XP & 7 on a dual boot but always used XP.Funny thing is once I used 7 for a while I never even thought about going back to XP

Although when Windows 10 came out I did initially have it dual booted with 7 it only took me a couple months to move to Windows 10 completely.
I have to agree with @Rolo in that you have to give it a go for a decent period of time to get adjusted to it.

Nheo_Linkin

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2017
Back when Microsoft released Windows 8. I didn't even think I would upgrade to 8 until one of my friend showed me how fast his pc was in 8.
So all these comparasions just give us a look of each OS pro and cons but decide nothing. Don't be like "Oh hey Windows 7 win on this, Windows 7 win on that, so Windows 7 is the best guys". It's all up to user experiences.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Windows 10 was buggy for me but the bugs might have fixed by now. My biggest issue with Windows 10 is the inability to turn off updates. I don't like automatic updates, I prefer to do them manually. Another issue with Windows update is that the update system is really inefficient. It takes about 20% of background resources. This makes the battery life of my laptop almost half as good in Windows 10 compared to 8.1. This happened even when I made my connection metered. Updates didn't download but the process kept running in the background. The forced restart problem talked a lot in the internet also discouraged me to keep using 10. What Microsoft needs to do is make Windows update more efficient. And they should provide "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install" option. Remove "suggestions" aka ads completely from Home version. Don't cripple home version and treat home users like beta testers. And change that eula back to what it was before. They don't have the right to claim MY files belongs to them. This is too much. I'll keep using 8.1 for sometime. In the future I'd have to use 10 after buying new PC, I hope they fix all these nonsense by then.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
@deletedmesiah what you need is Win10 Pro, most of your concerns will disappear. Nothing is free in this world. You want free Win10, you get the inconveniences. MS is business, not charity.
If i had the money i will buy Win10 Enterprise right away.

About the updates, of course they can do better, but at least it is better than previous Windows.

They say your files belong to them? can you point me the sentence please?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.