Advice Request Windows 7 better than Windows 10, really?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
OK , so i have installed Win7 on a low-end laptop (1ghz atom cpu, 2gb Ram) which is a similar specs available at Win7 release , and since many many people claimed that Win10 is crappy compared to Win7 ; let me compared Win7 to Win10 ... i will even use Win7 Ultimate vs Win10 Home

this will be a real-time comparison made like Average Joe would.

please don't mention about privacy , it is not the purpose here.

Installation
(Win10 win)

both OS are in the latest ISO from USB using Rufus

Win7 : the installation was properly made, nothing special there
Win10: same as Win7, did customized setting , etc...

Then there the first expected fail of Win7 ; it doesn't have the proper drivers for my machine; which was released for Win8. So basically i ended up with no network, so i can't have Windows Updates...
I was expected it so i have them downloaded prior to the installation, but Average Joe won't think of it and if he doesn't have another PC under hands, he is done...

Post Installation (no winner)

Win7:
user account creation is classic , nothing to complain here.
Win10: MS push you to use a MS account for various purposes, but a local account is permitted ; so here nothing to complain too.

Windows Updates (Win10 win)

when i install an OS , the first thing i do is Windows Update to get latest compatible drivers and security fixes.

Win7:
Windows update hang and download nothing, if i didn't have a network traffic monitoring tool i could wait for hours. so i started wasting my time looking for fixes and finally find one here Windows 7 - Windows Updates hanging and not downloading?
Win10: clicked "check updates, after less than a minute , all are displayed, downloaded , installed without issues. I heard that some users had problems with it and some updates smashed their system, but i did dozen of Win10 installs and never get one.
If you worry, you can force Win10 to download only fixes and not drivers. ( PC > Hardware > Device Installation Settings)

Installation of updates in Win10 is smoother and less subject to errors/crash , not saying than on Win7 the display of the updates is very bad , you don't know if it is installing or hanging...

Post installation Cleaning/Tweaking/Backup (Not for Average Joe) (Win7 win)

After updating the OS, i always clean it and do various tweaks and modifications to make it "faster" , safer, and easier to use. Among those tweaks are services customization, security tweaks via registry/group policies, etc...Then finish by a backup using Windows Backup.

Win7: all options are in the same place (control panel ), they are easy to get.
Win10: i dont know why they decided to split the settings in 2 places , it make it harder to do since you have to navigate in "Settings" which may redirect to Control Panel...

In term of customization and control Win7 is better than Win10, (Win10 removing many of the control you had in Win7).
It is the main reason why Geeks and other advanced users stick to Win7.
For the backup no difference because Win10 uses Win7 system :D

I will post my Customized Win7 theme, im sure you will love it ;)
there the screenshot : Desktops Show Off!

Built-in Security (Win10 win)

when the OS is totally installed, cleaned, tweaked, it is time to check the security.

Win7: unless you have a version of Win7 with Applocker, Win7 barely give you anything to protect yourself, you must look for a 3rd party application.
Win10: MS did its best to give to the customers a secure OS , so many security implementations were made (kernel enhanced protection, secureboot, integrated AV, system wide reputation feature, new integrity level, etc...) , as a common user , you barely need anything else; security geeks however... ;)

3rd Party security softs (Win7 Win)

Now that we knows the security features of the OS, it is up to the user to add its favored security soft.

Win7: All the actual security softs works on Win7 , so there is no problem.
Win10: due to some restrictive adjustments made to the kernel, some softs can't run anymore on Win10 and some can't use or lost some of their features/protection (KIS, Webroot, Zemana, etc...).

Performance (Win10 win)

now all is set , we can start enjoy the OS...as i said earlier , both OS were tested on a machine with the technology available at their release. There is no point on comparing a new OS on a machine made to run on a older OS. the older OS will always perform better.

Win7: Quite fast and if you disable Aero and sounds, Win7 is even faster.
Win10: Win7 has a huge advantage on Win7 , it is the Hybrid Boot (aka Fast Boot) that really increase the boot time of the machine. However Win10 has many feature that eat resources and honesty not really needed and those can be disabled (as you can do for Win7)

Usability (Win7 win)

What is important is usability, you won't spend too much time looking for something.
This comparison was made on laptops not a tablets , so i judged it accordingly.

Win7: all is at the same place, easily accessible.
Win10: Win8/10 were made for tablet first (and desktop after) , so the usability is quite different.

Luckily MS improved the desktop experience of Win 10 with the lastest Anniversaty Update. but in a overall point of view ,Win7 is better on desktop/laptop machines.

Conclusion:

the Winner is Win10 because its security and core enhancements and optimization, however Win7 keep the leadership in term of customization/control and usability.

Ok so it is finish now, so you are welcome to comment; i tried to do this comparison as fair as possible for both OS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Back when Microsoft released Windows 8.
Oh, now, 8 was a total abomination. That one I would say, "Unless you're on a tablet, skip it".

10 is what 8 should have been (like 7 is what Vista should have been and XP is what 2000 should have been).

Windows 10 was buggy for me but the bugs might have fixed by now. My biggest issue with Windows 10 is the inability to turn off updates. I don't like automatic updates, I prefer to do them manually. Another issue with Windows update is that the update system is really inefficient. It takes about 20% of background resources. This makes the battery life of my laptop almost half as good in Windows 10 compared to 8.1.

Bugs are definitely fewer but I may be comparing it to beta (used it almost a year before release).

Something is very wrong if anything is using 20% resources.

The only thing I really do not like about updates are the in-place upgrades (e.g. Anniversary update and most likely the Creators update in April).

Set your update options:
- Set the schedule
- Set delivery to "PCs on local network" (not setting that may be draining your battery)
- You can defer some updates

Your primary means of securing your system is automatic updates--especially for the OS. To go through the trouble to secure one's system yet not use automatic updates is self-defeating. I wish more software would automatically update itself (one big feature of UWP).

Besides, the Internet is shared. I don't want my bandwidth and latency interfered with because of bot-ridden automatic-updates-turned-off machines messing it up. No PC is an island. I'm glad they did that; they just better make sure forced updates never break anything.

Battery life should be better than 8 and definitely better than 7. I got an additional 2+ hours of HD video streaming over WiFi with 10 vs. 7 on my MSI GT70 17-inch gaming laptop (under 3 hrs to over 5).

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
@deletedmesiah what you need is Windows 10 Pro, most of your concerns will disappear. Nothing is free in this world. You want free Windows 10, you get the inconveniences. MS is business, not charity.
If i had the money i will buy Windows 10 Enterprise right away.

About the updates, of course they can do better, but at least it is better than previous Windows.

They say your files belong to them? can you point me the sentence please?
You're right on nothing is free. But here's a catch, If you were to buy a new PC or a copy of Windows 10 Home, you are paying. No update option even when you pay.
I'll get a laptop with Pro when I update in the future. New processors won't support old Windows so I'll have to update.
I went a little aggressive there. I didn't word it properly, it was something like they can look into every one of your files in PC or something. EULA is long so can't read but I'll try to find articles related to it.

Oh, now, 8 was a total abomination. That one I would say, "Unless you're on a tablet, skip it".

10 is what 8 should have been (like 7 is what Vista should have been and XP is what 2000 should have been).

Bugs are definitely fewer but I may be comparing it to beta (used it almost a year before release).

Something is very wrong if anything is using 20% resources.

The only thing I really do not like about updates are the in-place upgrades (e.g. Anniversary update and most likely the Creators update in April).

Set your update options:
- Set the schedule
- Set delivery to "PCs on local network" (not setting that may be draining your battery)
- You can defer some updates

Your primary means of securing your system is automatic updates--especially for the OS. To go through the trouble to secure one's system yet not use automatic updates is self-defeating. I wish more software would automatically update itself (one big feature of UWP).

Besides, the Internet is shared. I don't want my bandwidth and latency interfered with because of bot-ridden automatic-updates-turned-off machines messing it up. No PC is an island. I'm glad they did that; they just better make sure forced updates never break anything.

Battery life should be better than 8 and definitely better than 7. I got an additional 2+ hours of HD video streaming over WiFi with 10 vs. 7 on my MSI GT70 17-inch gaming laptop (under 3 hrs to over 5).
Yes, it was using 20% of CPU. I had clean installed 10 after updating and the problem was still there.
I like automatic updates too or one click updates. But Windows updates have been inefficient. And updates bring bugs often, I prefer to update after being sure that there're no major bugs.
Good that your system's battery life was better in 10. Not for me though. Are you using SSD? How's your processor usage when updating?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bribon77

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
You're right on nothing is free. But here's a catch, If you were to buy a new PC or a copy of Windows 10 Home, you are paying. No update option even when you pay.
I'll get a laptop with Pro when I update in the future. New processors won't support old Windows so I'll have to update.
I went a little aggressive there. I didn't word it properly, it was something like they can look into every one of your files in PC or something. EULA is long so can't read but I'll try to find articles related to it.

Yes, it was using 20% of CPU. I had clean installed 10 after updating and the problem was still there.
I like automatic updates too or one click updates. But Windows updates have been inefficient. And updates bring bugs often, I prefer to update after being sure that there're no major bugs.
Good that your system's battery life was better in 10. Not for me though. Are you using SSD? How's your processor usage when updating?
Yes, I use an SSD...far less power consumption and far more speed/responsiveness.

I don't know what my CPU usage is during updates; it updates when I'm not using it, like its supposed to. When I do manual updates (I don't like to wait on Patch Tuesday), it doesn't impact system responsiveness at all (usability, streaming). I have good CPUs (i5-2500K, i7-4800MQ, i7-6650U) though.

If you're getting sluggishness during an update, check your storage drivers and chipset drivers. For platter drives, check fragmentation. For SSDs, check wear-leveling (may need a defrag IF stuff is splattered everywhere on the drive; otherwise, leave it alone--shouldn't be an issue if it's a clean install).

Jimy Pérez

Level 1
Jun 10, 2016
Windows 10 is much more stable and lighter than windows 7. When downloading windows updates update windows 10 it always goes fluid does not get slow with regular updates compared to windows 7 always kept them off so Windows 10 wins! (y):cool:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Windows 10 is much more stable and lighter than windows 7. When downloading windows updates update windows 10 it always goes fluid does not get slow with regular updates compared to windows 7 always kept them off so Windows 10 wins! (y):cool:
never had a problem with W7 updates. But then again i used a different method

Reactions: AtlBo

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

TranquilKnight

Nov 20, 2015
TBH if Windows 10 had fewer bugs I would have voted for it. Right now after FCU it has become buggier for me. Folder icons in the Start Menu disappear, Metro apps won't open in 1 try, settings and store apps take countless tries to open, occasional freezes that required to turn off the laptop forcefully. Yes, I have also performed a clean install. I love Windows 10. I would have voted for 10 before FCU but at this moment I'd rather use Windows 7.

F

ForgottenSeer 67480

Thread author
I object to voting on Windows 10 which is still BETA unstable operation system. Windows 7 is much better for games and for the work.

Reactions: edward22274

edward22274

Aug 3, 2018
I have windows10 because I was forced into it. I work in IT and fix other peoples $#!t SO I KNOW windows10 has better driver support and usually easier to fix BUT I HATE THIER Construction Paper (think SouthPark) look and lack of customization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.