Advice Request Windows Defender w/ Hitman Pro Alert?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

PotentialUser

Level 1
Thread author
May 28, 2020
Hello everyone,

I’m interested in finding out if using Windows Defender (WD) with HitmanPro.Alert (HMP.A) — ALL real-time modules/protections enabled — will cause any conflicts or issues?

Has this set-up been done before successfully for an extended period of time with little-to-no issues? Should certain settings be disabled in WD such as Cloud Protection or PUP detection?

Are there any specific tweaks that should be done to either Windows Defender, HitmanPro.Alert or both? Maybe some exclusions for each other or something? Back in the day, I used Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) with Malwarebytes Premium (MB). I had to put in certain MB files as exclusions in MSE and vice versa in MB for MSE files. Are there certain files like that I should be excluding?

Windows Defender works well even after a Microsoft Windows Update. Makes sense; it’s completely integrated into the system so there shouldn’t be any issues. But, does adding HitmanPro.Alert cause instability problems?

Would WD + HMP.A be “enough” in regards to decent protection? I’m not talking about cream of the crop protection that certain suites such as Kaspersky, BitDefender, or Emsisoft provide. I’m asking if it covers all of the bases when it comes to malware protection, ransomware protection, etc. even if it takes longer for them to update signatures or heuristics than “premium” products.

Final Question: Most mainstream AV products have some sort of browser extension to block malicious websites. I believe only ESET doesn’t use an extension. Windows Defender doesn’t seem to have a browser extension either so how does it block malicious websites? Doesn’t Windows SmartScreen only work in Microsoft Edge? Or can it be enabled system-wide now so it works in Firefox, Chrome, etc. to block malicious websites as well?

Thank you in advance for any and all information!

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I'm using HMP.A with KIS with no issues & over the past few years I've only every had a conflict with one AV & that was a module in G-Data & I fixed that - I've run HMP.A with most AV's - I would be very surprised if you have any issues running it with Defender - Although of course each & every PC is different - IMHO I like HMP.A, the FP's from a couple of years ago have gone :):)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Windows Defender doesn’t seem to have a browser extension either so how does it block malicious websites? Doesn’t Windows SmartScreen only work in Microsoft Edge? Or can it be enabled system-wide now so it works in Firefox, Chrome, etc. to block malicious websites as well?
It can't be enabled system wide and only available in Edge. For Chrome and other chromium forks you may use the "Windows Defender Browser Protection" extension. But stupid Microsoft haven't made it available for Firefox. So for Firefox you may use one of these extensions like TrafficLight/Malwarebytes Browser Guard/Emsisoft Browser Security if you want.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I'm using HMP.A with KIS with no issues & over the past few years I've only every had a conflict with one AV & that was a module in G-Data & I fixed that - I've run HMP.A with most AV's - I would be very surprised if you have any issues running it with Defender - Although of course each & every PC is different - IMHO I like HMP.A, the FP's from a couple of years ago have gone :):)
Used it a month ago had many false positives from most hit pro modules even had false positives with windows store apps including Store.
And the cloud AV of Hitman pro is so weak and I had false Positives with the cloud AV as well.
BTW crypto guard 5.0 is weak in my testing as well barley blocked most zero day ransomware.
Hello everyone,

I’m interested in finding out if using Windows Defender (WD) with HitmanPro.Alert (HMP.A) — ALL real-time modules/protections enabled — will cause any conflicts or issues?

Has this set-up been done before successfully for an extended period of time with little-to-no issues? Should certain settings be disabled in WD such as Cloud Protection or PUP detection?

Are there any specific tweaks that should be done to either Windows Defender, HitmanPro.Alert or both? Maybe some exclusions for each other or something? Back in the day, I used Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) with Malwarebytes Premium (MB). I had to put in certain MB files as exclusions in MSE and vice versa in MB for MSE files. Are there certain files like that I should be excluding?

Windows Defender works well even after a Microsoft Windows Update. Makes sense; it’s completely integrated into the system so there shouldn’t be any issues. But, does adding HitmanPro.Alert cause instability problems?

Would WD + HMP.A be “enough” in regards to decent protection? I’m not talking about cream of the crop protection that certain suites such as Kaspersky, BitDefender, or Emsisoft provide. I’m asking if it covers all of the bases when it comes to malware protection, ransomware protection, etc. even if it takes longer for them to update signatures or heuristics than “premium” products.

Final Question: Most mainstream AV products have some sort of browser extension to block malicious websites. I believe only ESET doesn’t use an extension. Windows Defender doesn’t seem to have a browser extension either so how does it block malicious websites? Doesn’t Windows SmartScreen only work in Microsoft Edge? Or can it be enabled system-wide now so it works in Firefox, Chrome, etc. to block malicious websites as well?

Thank you in advance for any and all information!
I recommend using Andy H_C+ Configure Defender without Hitman pro Alert.
you will have a lower attack surface without all the bugs and false positives.

Last edited:

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Used it a month ago had many false positives from most hit pro modules even had false positives with windows store apps including Store.
And the cloud AV of Hitman pro is so weak and I had false Positives with the cloud AV as well.
BTW crypto guard 5.0 is weak in my testing as well barley blocked most zero day ransomware.

I honestly can't remember the last FP I had with HMP.A either with this new build or the one I used before it's also on my other half's newish lappy - I can only conclude something is probably not OK on the PC you used it on - As to the effectiveness of HMP.A & to whether it's worth buying that's another story, I believe it is & I don't mind paying for what is IMHO good software, I run HMP.A with KIS & Adguard - But for the same program to give such polar differences is puzzling? I have over 50 none MS programs on this PC & it gets good use.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I honestly can't remember the last FP I had with HMP.A either with this new build or the one I used before it's also on my other half's newish lappy - I can only conclude something is probably not OK on the PC you used it on - As to the effectiveness of HMP.A & to whether it's worth buying that's another story, I believe it is - But for the same program to give such polar differences is puzzling? I have over 50 none MS programs on this PC & it gets good use.
What version of Hitman pro Alert are you running?

PotentialUser

Level 1
Thread author
May 28, 2020
Thank you to everyone who answered!

Apologies for the tag but are H_C and Configure Defender completely open-source or partially? This is my first time reading about your product and it looks quite interesting. @Andy Ful

It can't be enabled system wide and only available in Edge. For Chrome and other chromium forks you may use the "Windows Defender Browser Protection" extension. But stupid Microsoft haven't made it available for Firefox. So for Firefox you may use one of these extensions like TrafficLight/Malwarebytes Browser Guard/Emsisoft Browser Security if you want.

Oh wow, there is an extension available for Chrome? I didn’t know that! Is there a link to download via WD’s GUI itself? I found it by googling but I prefer direct links within the application as I’m more cautious of what I download/install into the browser. Plus, I found this on MT — pretty sure it’s unrelated but I’m cautious all the same.

I’ll definitely take a look at H_C. Is there a video guide somewhere or are the manuals on the website all the instruction that is available

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Thank you to everyone who answered!

Apologies for the tag but are H_C and Configure Defender completely open-source or partially? This is my first time reading about your product and it looks quite interesting. @Andy Ful

Oh wow, there is an extension available for Chrome? I didn’t know that! Is there a link to download via WD’s GUI itself? I found it by googling but I prefer direct links within the application as I’m more cautious of what I download/install into the browser. Plus, I found this on MT — pretty sure it’s unrelated but I’m cautious all the same.

I’ll definitely take a look at H_C. Is there a video guide somewhere or are the manuals on the website all the instruction that is available
There is the main thread here on MalwareTips:
Latest and recommended version for Windows 10 (beta 5.1.1.1) is discussed beginning here:
GitHub:

When you install Hard_Configurator help files and a manual are included.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
In the present form, the H_C is for semi-advanced users and requires some learning. If you will want to try it then start from the Windows_10_Basic_Recommended_Settings (if Windows 10 is your system). More advanced settings are for advanced users, especially when they want to restrict the computers of inexperienced users (casual users, children, etc.).(y)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Only download the extension from the chrome webstore and you should be fine. I guess you already found the correct one after googling.

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Hitmanpro.alert, if youre going to use it, should always be used in conjunction as a second layer of defense, it, like malwarebytes, is simply not good enough alone.
Is it good for average joe? nope
Is it good for experienced MT users? Yes, combined with something else like OSA, H_C or SysHardener.

In a good hands it is more than enough.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
Is it good for average joe? nope
Is it good for experienced MT users? Yes, combined with something else like OSA, H_C or SysHardener.

In a good hands it is more than enough.
Which is kinda pointless considering if youre experienced enough youre going to understand that all you need is hardening software and backups, you dont need to pay for software to protect you in real time.

PotentialUser

Level 1
Thread author
May 28, 2020
Only download the extension from the chrome webstore and you should be fine. I guess you already found the correct one after googling.

This should be it, yes? — Windows Defender Browser Protection

There is the main thread here on MalwareTips:
Latest and recommended version for Windows 10 (beta 5.1.1.1) is discussed beginning here:
GitHub:

When you install Hard_Configurator help files and a manual are included.

I appreciate the link Gandalf. You shall definitely pass, servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. Huge LoTR fan!

In the present form, the H_C is for semi-advanced users and requires some learning. If you will want to try it then start from the Windows_10_Basic_Recommended_Settings (if Windows 10 is your system). More advanced settings are for advanced users, especially when they want to restrict the computers of inexperienced users (casual users, children, etc.).(y)

Hey Andy, thanks for the recommendation! I have some questions that I posted in the official H_C thread that Gandalf linked above. That way future users of H_C can find my questions and your answers in one place on the official thread. Whenever you have some free time, please answer them. I’m looking forward to using your app :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.