Advice Request Windscribe ControlID - has anyone used it, if so what do you think of it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
ControlD links your IPs automatically when you interact with the website OR when you use DoH/DoT. It will work in parallel from your home IP using legacy DNS, your phone using DoT on cellular, and your roaming laptop using DoH on a random hotspot. In cases of your IP changing on your home network, and you're forced to use Legacy DNS because there is no support for DoH/DoT, what you can do is configure DoH directly in the browser that you use on this network, or something that generates DNS traffic. If your IP suddenly changes, the DoH/DoT query from your home network will authorize your IP to use Legacy DNS. This eliminates the need for Dynamic DNS setups using 3rd party services.
Thanks for the response. Actually not having to deal with DDNS would be great. I may give the trial a shot just to check it out.

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
Spamhaus is pretty good, in the future do you plan to partner with other big name threat intelligence providers?
We're still building out a list, as well as adding an IP blocklist from the intelligence feeds. Any domain that resolves to a "bad" IP address will also be blocked if you have the malware blocklist enabled. Something Pihole devs rejected: pihole-FTL: block IP's from lists

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
One of the issue I had when trying it out on my android device, was that I was still seeing ether ads or ad-frames. Without rot it is impossible to install two vpns on an android device, so I could either use adguard for android or a secure encrypted connection. With DNS services like this I don't have to use AdGuard anymore to block ads. But with ControlD I am still seeing ads sometimes at the app level, and that is not the case with NextDNS. Could you possibly add another category dedicated to mobile ads specifically. I know I am not the only one in this situation.

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
One of the issue I had when trying it out on my android device, was that I was still seeing ether ads or ad-frames. Without rot it is impossible to install two vpns on an android device, so I could either use adguard for android or a secure encrypted connection. With DNS services like this I don't have to use AdGuard anymore to block ads. But with ControlD I am still seeing ads sometimes at the app level, and that is not the case with NextDNS. Could you possibly add another category dedicated to mobile ads specifically. I know I am not the only one in this situation.
That likely suggests DNS cache. What ads in what apps show up?

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I will definitively subscribe after my trial period; yeah NextDNS is pretty good, but Windscribe ControlID is much much better, it really left a good impression on me in this short period of time.

It is fast, privacy-oriented, has a comprehensive filtering capability with a low false positive rate and its geo-blocking is very convenient to use, just add the multi-device support (it is being developed) and it will be "perfect".

PJKGVdE.jpg

Oh well, I guess I got enough "love" from my Windscribe VPN lifetime subscrition anyway ...

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
It's not a DNS cache issue. I flushed it just to be sure. One of the appds that I stil see the most ads using is the investing.com app (free version) from the google play store. There are still ads and visaible ad frames with ControlD. With NextDNS there are none.
I just installed the app, no ads are shown. They use standard Google Ads, which are 100% blocked. As soon as I remove the Ads filter, they show up, when I put it back, they go away.

You may need to clear the app cache.

Ouji

Apr 27, 2021
Another question, would the redirect feature work to like a local DNS? For example, with NextDNS, I can make all queries to mydomain.tld go to 192.168.1.10 if I want to.
And this should be the last question (I guess), how long will that promo for current Windscribe Pro subscribers last? I might trial it first.

Reactions: Venustus and Cortex

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I just installed the app, no ads are shown. They use standard Google Ads, which are 100% blocked. As soon as I remove the Ads filter, they show up, when I put it back, they go away.

You may need to clear the app cache.

After clearing the app cache, I still see ad frames. When launching the app it takes a few seconds to 4rebuild the cache. Then, where there was a fullscreen ad before, now there's just a transparent box with an 'x' on the upper right to close it. Maybe that's not what you consider an ad, but it is still there and something that is blocked completely with nextdns. Anyways, that was just one example.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Discounted pricing? Is there a link that mentions this?

There is a option called "Secret Code?" when you are choosing your plan, if you are a Windscribe VPN user you can type your username to get a discount.

You need to have a rebilling subscription to be eligible, I have a lifetime plan, so I dont get this discount.

PJKGVdE.jpg

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
After clearing the app cache, I still see ad frames. When launching the app it takes a few seconds to 4rebuild the cache. Then, where there was a fullscreen ad before, now there's just a transparent box with an 'x' on the upper right to close it. Maybe that's not what you consider an ad, but it is still there and something that is blocked completely with nextdns. Anyways, that was just one example.
I'm unable to reproduce this. Can you provide a screenshot?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.