8 reasons to ditch Chrome and switch to Firefox

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Source: Firefox 86 Introduces Total Cookie Protection – Mozilla Security Blog

So the blocking of all third-party cookies is even stricter than TCP.
I see. So, I'll stick to blocking all third party cookies. The only incompatibility issue I had with these settings is that downloading from Google Drive doesn't work. So I have to disable Firefox's protection on that site. Otherwise, no other breakage for me. But nowadays, I use Edge more because Firefox is slow on my Android and I prefer using the same browser in all devices. From Privacy standpoints, Edge is better than Chrome I guess.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@rain2reign @SecureKongo @SeriousHoax Here is what LibreWolf devs have to say about Strict TP:
In LibreWolf we decided to enable Tracking Protection, as it plays nicely with uBO and it can block some extra scripts. Additionally, when set to strict it includes dFPI, SmartBlock, enhanced cookie cleaning and stricter referrer policies. For this reason, we always suggest the default strict mode, and when using it please do not enable FPI, as it interferes with the more recent dFPI.Finally, there's no point in changing from strict to any other mode, as strict mode doesn't usually cause any kind of breakage, and changing to custom mode to block cookies will come at the expense of disabling dFPI: not worth it, so we decided to hide the UI that allows users to change this. You can explicitly force other modes with overrides, but once again we advise against it. More details are available at this link.
My sense is this is still the way to go in FF but I suppose it's a matter of preference. LW's stance is that 3rd party cookies are partitioned and then cleared on close so no reason to block them initially.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
@rain2reign @SecureKongo @SeriousHoax Here is what LibreWolf devs have to say about Strict TP:

My sense is this is still the way to go in FF but I suppose it's a matter of preference. LW's stance is that 3rd party cookies are partitioned and then cleared on close so no reason to block them initially.
Personally, I have blocked third-party cookies for more than 7 years now and in the last 2-3 years I only had 4 breakages where I needed to allow third-party cookies. So, I agree that it's probably more according to preference now. However, you can also play the Joker and say the same logic applies the other way around too. No, need to partition cookies that were never there in the first place. :D 👽

In the end, its all up to preference, online habits and uses.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
You might want to read this regarding the overlap of Total Cookie Protection (which is enabled if you set enhanced tracking protection to Strict) and Multi-Account Containers.

I personally think that MAC are not worth the hassle and that TCP is absolutely enough. I already discussed this with @oldschool and @SeriousHoax some time ago if I remember correctly.
Thanks. I think I tried the strict mode once and then but it back to default, but I can't remember why. Meanwhile, I continued using MAC because I have several accounts in some platforms.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Thanks. I think I tried the strict mode once and then but it back to default, but I can't remember why. Meanwhile, I continued using MAC because I have several accounts in some platforms.
No reason you can't use MAC with Strict mode. You still get the benefits of dFPI for non-MAC tabs.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Does this page show a blank page for 10 seconds before displaying it? Loading any page on this website gives a 10 seconds delay on Firefox for me. No issue on Chromium browsers. Is it happening for everybody?
Edit: Same in Chrome. No issue in Edge.

Reactions: Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Does this page show a blank page for 10 seconds before displaying it? Loading any page on this website gives a 10 seconds delay on Firefox for me. No issue on Chromium browsers. Is it happening for everybody?
Edit: Same in Chrome. No issue in Edge.

I can reproduce that behavior and the delay happens because of uBlock Origin, it doesnt happen while using AdGuard extension.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I can reproduce that behavior and the delay happens because of uBlock Origin, it doesnt happen while using AdGuard extension.
Ah yes, you're right. Same here. Wondering which filter is causing this in uBO/preventing it from causing while using ADG. Don't see anything weird in filter log. Needs to investigate further, I guess.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Does this page show a blank page for 10 seconds before displaying it? Loading any page on this website gives a 10 seconds delay on Firefox for me.
I edited my post. It happens on Chrome also. It's fine on Edge even when tracking protection is disabled. Weird :unsure:
Brave, Edge and Firefox load fine here.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Ah yes, you're right. Same here. Wondering which filter is causing this in uBO/preventing it from causing while using ADG. Don't see anything weird in filter log. Needs to investigate further, I guess.
In Edge I use mostly default filters plus Kees'. 107,000 network filters only.

In FFI use Kees minimalist network filter setup. No cosmetic filters. I never use them.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Okay, got it. Disabling "uBlock filters" fixes it.
I see 3 rules from uBlock filters is applied on the site. One of these is the culprit. Need to create an issue on GitHub.
Edit: Just now created the issue: darkreading.com · Issue #13938 · uBlockOrigin/uAssets
Edit2: A fix has been pushed already, lol. So quick. Should be available for everyone soon by updating the "uBlock filters – Unbreak" filter.
Edit3: Doesn't work unless I disable Firefox's built in Tracking protection because it's blocking the doubleclick script bypassing uBO's whitelist :rolleyes:

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Does this page show a blank page for 10 seconds before displaying it?

Confirmed loading delay for Dark Reading but here, it was the Strict setting in Firefox that was causing the delay. Changing it to Standard and the page loaded within about a second with Trace and uBO enabled (minimal settings above default) It seems this is Firefox's setup for Strict settings:

ffenhanced prot.PNG

I saw on the GitHub page your issue was marked as "closed," SeriousHoax.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Confirmed loading delay for Dark Reading but here, it was the Strict setting in Firefox that was causing the delay. Changing it to Standard and the page loaded within about a second with Trace and uBO enabled (minimal settings above default) It seems this is Firefox's setup for Strict settings:

I saw on the GitHub page your issue was marked as "closed," SeriousHoax.
I am using Firefox with Strict settings and couldn't reproduce the delay. I also think that it could be related to uBlock Origin, as I don't have the issue with AdGuard extension.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.