Advice Request After installing the latest updates no latest version of Microsoft Defender

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Bryan320

Level 8
Thread author
Oct 11, 2019
I have all my windows updates installed but i have not received the update to windows defender where you can enable the detection of PUP's with in the GUI. Any reason to why this update was not installed by windows it was installed on my old laptop but not my new one.... I'm running a new HP ENVY X360 with a intel 10th gen core i7 processor. With windows saying i have the latest updates i cannot see under "app and browser control" the option to enable PUP detection.

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
I have all my windows updates installed but i have not received the update to windows defender where you can enable the detection of PUP's with in the GUI. Any reason to why this update was not installed by windows it was installed on my old laptop but not my new one.... I'm running a new HP ENVY X360 with a intel 10th gen core i7 processor. With windows saying i have the latest updates i cannot see under "app and browser control" the option to enable PUP detection.
In which Windows 10 build are you?
I am on Windows 10 build 2004 and I have that option.

Reactions: Bryan320

Bryan320

Level 8
Thread author
Oct 11, 2019
In which Windows 10 build are you?
I am on Windows 10 build 2004 and I have that option.
That's strange..... it reports my laptop is still on 1909 and windows reports it's up to date not sure why it has not prompted me to download and install 2004...

Reactions: shmu26

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
That's strange..... it reports my laptop is still on 1909 and windows reports it's up to date not sure why it has not prompted me to download and install 2004...
If you dont see build 2004 it maybe because you have some program or some driver that isnt compatible with build 2004.
I would try update your drivers and then try to check for Windows Updates again.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yeah, it is usually driver incompatibility that delays the upgrade. But updating the drivers might not help, because Microsoft maintains a list of drivers that have a high risk of causing issues, and some of those drivers have not received updates.
If you want to give it a try, download the ISO for version 2004, mount it, and run it with internet connection completely disabled for the whole duration of the upgrade procedure. I did it, and I had no issues afterward, but of course, no guarantees on that! Make sure you have a backup or something.

Bryan320

Level 8
Thread author
Oct 11, 2019
UPDATE: i used the windows update assistant to get the latest version it's running smooth although i did notice an issue.... When going into the recycle bin the download folders are no longer easily accessible. I noticed this right after updating to windows 10 2004. i assume a fix will be out but it's not that big of an issue. Just have to dig more to get to the downloads folder.

Reactions: razorfancy

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
UPDATE: i used the windows update assistant to get the latest version it's running smooth although i did notice an issue.... When going into the recycle bin the download folders are no longer easily accessible. I noticed this right after updating to windows 10 2004. i assume a fix will be out but it's not that big of an issue. Just have to dig more to get to the downloads folder.
Not sure you mean this but try to click on the arrow close to "This PC" or "Easy Access" in the side bar to expand the available options:

UsVjip2.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.