Advice Request Any advice on privacy and security for an iPad?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I got an iPad from my employer for working 25 years there.
Having never owned anything from Apple I know nothing about iPadOS.
Always worked with Windows, Linux or Android.
I hope you can give me some advice or point me to some guides to keep it safe and private.
Thank you, MT (y)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
My advice is to use a mobile network or otherwise verify the wi-fi network security in place (where you can say with greater than a reasonable certainty that it is secure) and use a VPN.

A friend let us stay in their Hawaiian vacation condo. Many of the condos, including our friend's, are rented out when not in use by the owners. All the condos were on the same cable or satellite system. Each unit's wifi network was ostensibly secure in that it was password protected, but my iPad was hacked via MITM attack by Japanese yakuza. (Shout out to @show-Zi ! ;) ) I turned the iPad off for the rest of the trip and changed my email password on a mobile phone without further harm.

Word!

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Create an Apple ID (iCloud account)

I recommend adding a trusted phone number that can receive text messages. By default Apple sends 6-digit verification codes to devices running iOS/macOS for Two Factor Authentication. So for instance you have left your iPad at home, you can still login to manage your Apple ID / iCloud account by receiving the code on your non-Apple phone.

More information:

Use Restrictions for finer control against accidentally deleting apps, preventing in-app purchases and more.
This functionally can be found in General Settings > Screen Time > Content and Privacy Restrictions > iTunes & App Store Purchases.

Find out more: Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Be aware that the guide was written by DuckDuckGo and they promote their own search engine/browser for tips 11 and 12 respectively.
Be cautious before following;
  • 2. 'Erase Data' - make sure your data is periodically backed up.
  • 4. Turn off 'Share my Location' - useful for Find My

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Try Guardian Firewall

Or Lockdown

AdGuard

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.