AV-Comparatives Real-World Protection report (September '17)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I think we all need this after seeing these results...
_95307374_gettyimages-516450576.jpg
:p

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
As per usual keep in mind these results are only indicative of the exact samples used.

Never herd of CrowdStrike !
"Next-gen" AV. No clue why it's included in the real-world tests as they only sell to enterprise clients.

Well I don't care what Real-World Protection Test - AV-Comparatives says i am sticking with Emsisoft | Anti-Malware: Lightweight Malware Protection for the Home for the time being. More than happy with it. :)
Same. They continue to respect my privacy and I'll continue to give them my money.

Last edited:

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Wow, since when have Microsoft and Panda become so good?
Also, I wonder when will F-Secure fix their horrific false positive rates.
(Assuming those tests were representative of real life scenario, which I highly doubt.)
I can safely say most FPs originate from DeepGuard - Rare application.
If program X is not in whitelist and releases new version, it's gonna be blocked in many cases. Today I sent (after testing) ~5 FP reports (all "Rare applications" by F-Secure). Of course it's easy to allow them, but they sure need to work on whitelist.

D

Deleted member 65228

It's extremely shocking for me to see Microsoft outperforming Emsisoft. Wow! :ROFLMAO:
Microsoft have been improving with signatures lately but regardless of this test, Emsisoft is superior in terms of the potential for protection when compared to Windows Defender, due to factors such as their Surf Protection and Behavior Blocker modules. I would suspect they are also much more reactive in terms of adding new signature detection's. :)

Edit:
Sorry, I forgot this was a dynamic test and didn't include signatures. Regardless though, in reality the Emsisoft Behavior Blocker has the potential to protect the user a lot more than Windows Defender IMO. It is nice to see Microsoft improving a lot and taking things more seriously though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I think we all need this after seeing these results...
_95307374_gettyimages-516450576.jpg
:p

Agreed! :)

And bear in mind that the worst in this test has the 93,5% rate, while between, for example, Microsoft and Emsisoft, difference is less than 1% so it's hard to make conclusions that some AV has really outperformed the other. When you just look at graph bars and it's vibrant colors :D it might seen there are significant differences between those, but when you look at the actual percentage on the left side, you can see that the most of them are pretty close in this test.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Look at False positive
ESET and McAfee are wins
https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/avc_mpt_201709_en.pdf
Norton is Very High False Positive

Details here: http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/avc_fps_201709_en.pdf

Trend Micro had 80 FPs, while Norton had a whopping 274 false alarms! In comparison, Emsisoft had only 6 and Eset made a perfect 0. This is really scary. I know we should take these tests with a grain of a salt, but honestly I don't know if I can consider these AV solutions after seeing those results.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.