Advice Request Best Complimentary Program

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

lurk_

Thread author
Feb 10, 2022
Basically, the title... I'm looking for the best complimentary applications to further improve security. Looking mainly for something along the lines of anti-exploit or firewall. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
If you are looking for something free AppCheck offers Anti Ransomware, Anti Exploit, MBR protection and some other things. If you want paid there is OS Armor which I have heard is pretty good. Also App check has a paid version which has more protection and features in the paid version. Those are my 2 recommendations.

lurk_

Thread author
Feb 10, 2022
If you are looking for something free AppCheck offers Anti Ransomware, Anti Exploit, MBR protection and some other things. If you want paid there is OS Armor which I have heard is pretty good. Also App check has a paid version which has more protection and features in the paid version. Those are my 2 recommendations.

In the past I used HitmanPro.Alert but I cant seem to find much information regarding it in recent history. Is it still an effective tool?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I would add Simple Windows Hardening and/or VoodooShield.
You can post your Computer Security Configuration here:
And get even better feedback based on your whole configuration.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
In the past I used HitmanPro.Alert but I cant seem to find much information regarding it in recent history. Is it still an effective tool?
It is still an effective tool, but I see a lot of issues over at Wilders, so I prefer other solutions (see previous posts).

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
IMO, the best two complementary software for any antivirus are one of these two:
  • SysHardener, developed by NoVirusThanks
  • Hard_Configurator, developed by AndyFul
These two will harden the OS policies and give that extra boost of security any antivirus needs.

Additionaly, you can consider an anti-executable like VoodooShield.

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Yes, I have seen quite a few videos on it and it does seem to be still a very effective tool. It is run by Sophos too so it shouldn't be abandoned because it is a big company as well.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Hard_Configurator does have the FirewallHardening module if you're only interested in the firewall portion of your original question. Despite what its name might suggest, it's actually very easy to install and and set up--just a couple of mouse clicks. I've used it for a couple of years now, it's another layer and an extremely unobtrusive one at that. Wouldn't go without it.

Since "complimentary" means "free," the complete HitmanPro.Alert and OSArmor are not free. In fact, the OSA dev always gently pushes that away to "discuss at another time." You can run HitmanPro.Alert as a free app but the majority of its features would be disabled. I think it comes with anti-keylogger and some other things. This chart is very old but it may still hold true. You can ask at Wilders Security forums where they have their product threads.

hmpa chart.png

Edited to .png so one wouldn't have to log into Wilders to view. Credit for original chart: Stupendous Man/Wilders Security forums member I posted the question of any changes to the free version of Alert over at Wilders. For those who don't browse Wilders, I'll post the response (if any) from the QA engineer.

Last edited:

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
On Mac I use Micro Snitch which is a little tool to notify users when camera and microphone are in use.

I have noticed that the notification is faster that macOS built in notification lights which people might not notice immediately because it's just a tiny dot.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Last year, I used F-Secure Safe for 9 months with this setup: Hard_Configurator outbound firewall rules, a VPN, on demand, NextDNS for browsers, Adguard and Bitwarden extensions, 2 second opinion scanners and Macrium Home. Never had an issue.
Still using the same setup with Kaspersky Internet Security.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.