Battle BEST Offline Password Manager: KeePass Vs Sticky Password Free?

shukla44

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Which free offline password manager would you prefer (without cloud)?

I already use sticky password premium. Sticky password has improved its windows extensions with new graphical identifier for input fields. This has made it very easy to use and autofill works for all sites now.

But i want to know if KeePass is better, being a open-source & free. Does it's autofill works with every site?

Please share & help me decide.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
It looks like you want to use them for online form-filling. I would use neither of them, KeePass does not have good browser integration it relies on external add-ons and opens one port just for form filling.It is good for offline secure storage.Sticky Password free is good but does not offer anything extra other than the passwords(for my use).If you are using Sticky password it is good for onlline auto-logins.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
If it is for offline purposes, both are decent, each offering nearly same features via different means. KeePass is more for offline storage while sticky tends to be used more online.
There is not clear winning on this one. try both and see which one you prefer.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Sticky Password have sync ability to have copy of your sensitive informations

Meanwhile Keepass does not has any sync ability.

Overall, they have good security implementation of having passwords provided by user to PM is safe at all; any alternatives can do as long its been totally active in development to avoid vulnerabilities.

Morvotron

Level 7
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
@Morvotron: Password Manager will be always an optional choice, sometimes if you are engaged a lot of login details then you need to store them securely. ;)
:D

By the way, what type of encryption does this kind of software use to protect the passwords? I mean, is it secure enough to use to protect say VeraCrypt password?

Because if I use VeraCrypt with such an encryption algorithm, and i deposit my password on a easier crackeable software, I'm lost :confused:

emlock

Level 1
Verified
Feb 13, 2016
i'm testing sticky password premium and I think is very handful because you can create a portable copy of sticky password and put it in a usb drive. The browser integration works well in opera the only thing that i miss from the other password manager is a password rating integrated in the software

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
I have been using Sticky password. I have used LastPass (I moved away because of the LogMeIn acquisition). I have used Dashlane (The best of all Password Managers), 1Password (Didn't like the fact we had to pay for a newer version number).

Sticky Password - If your WIFI has strong encryption, you can safely transfer passwords over WIFI without using their Cloud, to your various devices. Autofill works for all websites - it's almost like it's an Artificial Intelligence based. Even in the "Change Password" option, it opens the Password Generator dialog-box for your convenience. And when you create one, it fills the "Enter New Password" and "Confirm New Password" boxes. So far, I had only one complaint about Sticky Password - They have only the "Send an OTP to your registered/alternate email" to log in to your devices as a 2Factor. They have no expected release timeline for Google Authenticator.

emlock

Level 1
Verified
Feb 13, 2016
the thing that i can't accept is to create an account of sticky password even if i don't use any of its cloud features, in fact now i'm using keepass with web integration, it's not precise like sticky password in web pages but at least is completely offline and i like it

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
The most important feature is the "secure desktop". Only keepass and 1password have this feature. Password manager without "secure desktop" is not even mentionable. "Virtual Keyboard" is pain in the ass when I want to type my 18 length password and also less secure then "secure desktop".

What is the secure desktop feature?

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Used to use Keepass free. But after 2-3 months usage, felt it was quite a hassle. Hence quitted it.

Currently my effective password manager is non other than my brain, a pen and a paper scribbling down encrypted passwords that uses Excel to decrypt it (in case i forgot) :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.