Battle Chromium vs Google Chrome vs Brave Browser - Which One is Best?

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I read a couple of posts on this site about secure and private browsing. Some have mentioned that Chromium stable(from the woolys site) is better than Google Chrome because it is vanilla Chrome without calling home. Others like Brave until they started to insert ads of their own.

Is Chromium Stable the best choice of these three in terms of privacy? Clarification would be appreciated.

As an aside, no one refers to SRware Iron Browser supposedly a Chromium derivative. Not advised? Thanks.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I think most people are just worried about hiding certain browsing habits that are publicly embarrassing. 😳
Considering that many people lost their jobs or friends because of their hobbies going public, who can blame them, even when those hobbies were legal.

Sometimes those habits are at the edge of legality and it is better to be safe than sorry, ISPs are bound by the law to report suspicious activities. When I ordered some "stuff", I was worried, it might be stopped at customs. No one would like to be brought in for questioning and keeping it on record. I once ordered opium incense sticks from Bhutan for relaxation, too late I have realized, I was lucky not to get arrested, because it was not just the aroma. 😅

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
For all the folks who use google search, use Android smartphones, use gmail, google maps, google photos, etc google related free/paid services, it's probably better just to use Google Chrome also. Why distribute your data among everybody, give your data only to google 😄
Btw, this is how some of my friends thinks. They trust google more than any other company. Like I said, without google we wouldn't have cheap smartphones, gmail, google maps, free unlimited photo storage with google photos etc. Google revolutionized internet, made it available to everybody so they feel thankful to google and if google provide them with better services by collecting some data then they don't mind. Google also let you delete your data connected to your account. There are many people who think like that and frankly no one should blame them. Everybody has the right to choose what they want, which company they trust over another because more or less everyone is collecting data from you. I see logic in not trusting google as well as logic in trusting them over others.

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
To be quite sincere keeping yourself anonymous on the Internet is basically impossible. If someone with the resources is trying to track you, they'll find you. I read a report a short time ago on how AI tools were able to track anonymized Internet traffic back to its source in 90% of the tests.

Now the best you can hope is to make it harder for advertisers but that's as far as it will go.

An interesting read for anyone interested:

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
For all the folks who use google search, use Android smartphones, use gmail, google maps, google photos, etc google related free/paid services, it's probably better just to use Google Chrome also. Why distribute your data among everybody, give your data only to google 😄
Btw, this is how some of my friends thinks. They trust google more than any other company. Like I said, without google we wouldn't have cheap smartphones, gmail, google maps, free unlimited photo storage with google photos etc. Google revolutionized internet, made it available to everybody so they feel thankful to google and if google provide them with better services by collecting some data then they don't mind. Google also let you delete your data connected to your account. There are many people who think like that and frankly no one should blame them. Everybody has the right to choose what they want, which company they trust over another because more or less everyone is collecting data from you. I see logic in not trusting google as well as logic in trusting them over others.
Agreed, and google doesn’t want to hurt their business just like ISPs don’t, by exposing people’s private browsing habits publicly. Based on the metrics a lot of people are viewing adult material and/or torrenting. They aren’t going to expose the majority of their user base it’s bad for business. But I’m writing this from an American perspective. If things being done are illegal here, or elsewhere, or there are borderline legalities involved I understand the concern.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Agreed, and google doesn’t want to hurt their business just like ISPs don’t, by exposing people’s private browsing habits publicly. Based on the metrics a lot of people are viewing adult material and/or torrenting. They aren’t going to expose the majority of their user base it’s bad for business. But I’m writing this from an American perspective. If things being done are illegal here, or elsewhere, or there are borderline legalities involved I understand the concern.
Right. I think unless something is specially demanded by the government companies like google won't expose anything. They have nothing to gain from that.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
So everyone can do their ‘fun’ image searching in peace, using the best search engine. :ROFLMAO:
But seriously, as much as I try alternatives google gives the most effective results when I’m searching.
True. I used Duckduckgo and startpage almost exclusively for 2 years but sometimes they totally failed to find what I'm looking for if it was something not so common even though startpage uses google. But when I search the same thing on google it always comes up something and for common searches, like you said google gives the most effective results.

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
Me using Edge Chromium (Private and Corp.) - Out of the benefit of SSO (Single Sign On) with Microsoft Online Services, Like O365 - Azure and more... - The other reason is Application Guard but can be used with other Browsers as well. ;) - Since I already have a Microsoft (Private and Corp. Account) my Bookmarks and Settings follow me around and is super easy to use. As Extensions: 1Password - Ublock (Advanced Mode) - Random UserAgent more for webdev. things then for Privacy but can be used both ways.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Does anyone know if the issues with regards to privacy with the Edge browser were resolved since this article was published last year?

I have been using all 3 browsers in this thread and feel Brave is the best overall.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Does anyone know if the issues with regards to privacy with the Edge browser were resolved since this article was published last year?

I have been using all 3 browsers in this thread and feel Brave is the best overall.
Chromium-based Microsoft Edge no longer sends SID
The sending of the SID was an odd thing and does not seem to be referenced anywhere in Microsoft's SmartScreen documentation.

The good news is that the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge no longer sends the SID during a SmartScreen request.

It does, though, continue to send an unhashed URL. That practice will only end if and when Microsoft decides to start hashing the URLs, which probably would require significant code changes across many of their products.
So it doesn't send SID anymore which is great. Sending only the full URLs shouldn't be an issue unless someone is paranoid about privacy. Sending full URLs is definitely beneficial and even Google Chrome has an option now to send full URLs though that's disabled by default.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
True. I used Duckduckgo and startpage almost exclusively for 2 years but sometimes they totally failed to find what I'm looking for if it was something not so common even though startpage uses google. But when I search the same thing on google it always comes up something and for common searches, like you said google gives the most effective results.
Sadly I have to agree with your findings.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
So it doesn't send SID anymore which is great. Sending only the full URLs shouldn't be an issue unless someone is paranoid about privacy. Sending full URLs is definitely beneficial and even Google Chrome has an option now to send full URLs though that's disabled by default.
You can also turn smartscreen off and use an extension that is more private like Malwarebytes.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.