Advice Request CleanBrowsing DNS vs NextDNS vs ControlD DNS

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

CleanBrowsing DNS vs NextDNS vs ControlD DNS

• CleanBrowsing DNS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NextDNS

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • ControlD DNS

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
CleanBrowsing has gone bad, you might as well use cloudflare, they probably lost some licensing. If you want to use setup and forget, just use Quad9, otherwise NextDNS.

Attachments

• capture_05192022_232644.jpg
    capture_05192022_232644.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 221

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Seems like NextDNS is now using Cisco for their threat intelligence feeds or am I wrong? @SohanRay

Which feed are you talking about? Nextdns uses openphish and phistank feeds.... openphish is probably under Cisco, but Cisco uses many other feeds in its intelligence database.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Which feed are you talking about? Nextdns uses openphish and phistank feeds.... openphish is probably under Cisco, but Cisco uses many other feeds in its intelligence database.
Oh, yeah Phishtank belongs to Cisco. I was talking about the latest update on their GitHub. You said a while back that they are planning to add new Threat Intelligence Feeds, so I thought they might have added them from Cisco.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Oh, yeah Phishtank belongs to Cisco. I was talking about the latest update on their GitHub. You said a while back that they are planning to add new Threat Intelligence Feeds, so I thought they might have added them from Cisco.
Nah, nothing new has been added. Neither I have any hope that they would. Maybe they thought of it once but then they probably have given up on it. Otherwise, there would have been some visible progress or addition till now.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Brave browser dropped quad9 from their dns suggestion list, any idea why?

Ive used quad9 still, but might move to controld... NextDNS is fastest i have used but their free license is not enough for my desktop

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
CleanBrowsing has gone bad, you might as well use cloudflare, they probably lost some licensing. If you want to use setup and forget, just use Quad9, otherwise NextDNS.
Out of curiosity what makes you say cleanbrowsing has gone bad?

Reactions: Kongo

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Brave browser dropped quad9 from their dns suggestion list, any idea why?

Ive used quad9 still, but might move to controld... NextDNS is fastest i have used but their free license is not enough for my desktop
Quad9 was removed upstream in Chromium, Brave doesn't add/change the DNS servers normally speaking. Basically, it was removed from the code Brave is based/built from, Chromium, they could manually re-add it to their client. However, I don't know if they will or already have (I don't use Brave).

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
System-wide and on my phone I use Quad9. but I'm still using NextDNS (DOH) in my browser because it blocks ads and I like this feature.
I believe Quad9 is superior but NextDns gives me more control which I really like.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
ControlD is making good progress. I have been using since quite some time now. Just sometimes the ads and tracking filter have some false positives which blocked me from using something I do, but it was easy enough to use the active logging to whitelist the required domain. The logging system is near realtime and updates almost instantly. The ads and trackers block is very comprehensive and unlike Nextdns you don't have to go about trying to choose the best filters as it does that for you .
Also, very importantly it uses premium/paid lists alongside the opensource free ones . For example it uses Openphish's paid/premium lists in its phishing filter. I found this independent test results on twitter ->
which shocked me as I had rarely seen any dns filtering service beating Quad9 at blocking malicious domains. The some control plan of ControlD costs the same as Nextdns and the full control plan costs more as it gives you proxy capabilities which helps you unblock geo restricted content (streaming or otherwise). And its good as I tried unblocking Amazon prime video with my VPN and it didn't work, but with ControlD it did!
Its email support is also pretty good. Users can clarify their doubts or ask for solutions and suggest or report things. Unlike Cleanbrowsing's paid service's ads filter, ControlD has a much more aggressive Ads and tracking filtering which I like. It makes the whole Internet using experience faster and cleaner. But on the other hand you can also use a relaxed ads filtering mode if you need it which blocks lesser ads and trackers.
So, my suggestion would be to try it out!

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
I would have to sign up for another trial at some point. I tried it when it when it first came out but it was hit and miss and slower than NextDNS. If things are changing I may need to give it another look.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I would have to sign up for another trial at some point. I tried it when it when it first came out but it was hit and miss and slower than NextDNS. If things are changing I may need to give it another look.
I also found it painfully slow in my location. I think I nailed it down to how the ISP was routing me to their servers. Quad9 has the same issue for me, but to a much lesser extent.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Yes, it just happens to be my location and ISP. Bad luck. Maybe as they add or upgrade servers it will get ironed out.
Ok. You can btw, also leave a feedback for them . They are responsive, so probably they'll fix it soon. For me though, its sometimes even fater than Cloudflare. Quad9 and all are pretty behind on speeds.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Ok. You can btw, also leave a feedback for them . They are responsive, so probably they'll fix it soon. For me though, its sometimes even fater than Cloudflare. Quad9 and all are pretty behind on speeds.
Interesting. I did send them tracerouts, so hopefully that has helped.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Yeah, I am still wondering why Quad9 DNS was removed from Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Brave Browser, et cetera.
Quad9 is still one of the three pre-set DoH in Windows though.

NextDNS is fastest i have used but their free license is not enough for my desktop
Enable DNS Cache, one DNS request per 5 min. We use it on 2 PCs and 2 phones and I have never passed 200K.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.