Advice Request CleanBrowsing DNS vs NextDNS vs ControlD DNS

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

CleanBrowsing DNS vs NextDNS vs ControlD DNS

• CleanBrowsing DNS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NextDNS

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • ControlD DNS

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Anyway, sorry to derail the conversation. The point is it can be blocked, easily by corps with the resources to do it. But it would be noticeable and very difficult to redirect. One would know they are being blocked.

Dont worry, it was very informative too me, but I still believe that this is more theoritical than pratical, after all most people/organizations wont go out their way to block DoH (it is anything but easy).

I think the problem that Templarware is facing is another think entirely.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Dont worry, it was very informative too me, but I still believe that this is more theoritical than pratical, after all most people/organizations wont go out their way to block DoH (it is anything but easy).

I think the problem that Templarware is facing is another think entirely.
You are probably right about that. My org (US Govt) blocks encrypted DNS. But they kind of block everything.

Reactions: Kongo

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
The App is just much easier to turn off/on and change settings, and NextDNS claims both Profile and App drain the same battery.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
The App is just much easier to turn off/on and change settings, and NextDNS claims both Profile and App drain the same battery.
You can disable the profile easily too in the settings, but I am not here to keep on annoying you with the same stuff. I stopped using encrypted DNS on my iOS device and use it on my Firewall network-wide, as I faced the same issue as you. Always got a notification, that I am connected to a network that forbids encrypted DNS, even tho it was my home network and not the case. :unsure:

Reactions: blackice

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
You can disable the profile easily too in the settings, but I am not here to keep on annoying you with the same stuff. I stopped using encrypted DNS on my iOS device and use it on my Firewall network-wide, as I faced the same issue as you. Always got a notification, that I am connected to a network that forbids encrypted DNS, even tho it was my home network and not the case. :unsure:
What router are you using?

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Definitely not familiar, I'm assuming it's German. iOS seems sensitive to some router configurations, so I was curious.
Read some posts on a forum and they said that it was somehow an iOS 14 related issue. No idea, but as I said it isn't really a big deal, as I can use encrypted DNS normally.

Reactions: blackice

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
If this network blocks encrypted DNS, I assume it will also block VPN?
As @blackice said VPNs are harder to block, as for example the OpenVPN protocol uses the port 1194 or 443 if I remember correctly. So basically two ports that would need to be blocked. Another method would be the blocking of all the individual IPs of popular VPN providers.

Reactions: Templarware

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Can confirm. Android 11 and 12 natively support TLS in the connection (Wi-Fi) advanced settings, a feature known as "private dns", as I have been using Quad9's TLS address as my "private dns" for android 11 till now. I have read, however, that android 13 may natively support DoH in its release.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.