Comodo Antivirus Can Cause Severe Graphical Issues on Windows 10 Creators Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Software developed by Comodo appears to be hit by some compatibility issues with Windows 10 Creators Update, so all users are urged to install the most recent versions before performing the upgrade to the latest OS release pushed by Microsoft earlier this month.

In an advisory posted on its website, Comodo says that Comodo Internet Security (CIS) / Comodo Firewall / Comodo Antivirus must be updated to version 10.0.1.6209 or higher, while in the case of Comodo Cloud Antivirus, the installed version must be 1.10.413855.478 or higher.

It appears that some of the users who don’t install the latest versions of Comodo software are experiencing what the security vendor describes as “severe graphical issues,” so everyone is strongly recommended to update the applications before anything else.

“Do not install the Windows 10 'Creator' upgrade until you have confirmed your Comodo product is updated to one of the versions listed above. Please postpone the Windows update until you have made this check,” Comodo says in a warning.

Too late? No problem
In case you’ve already installed the Creators Update with the old Comodo software running on your system and you experience the glitches mentioned above, there’s no other workaround that removing the antivirus completely. If the operating system performance returns to normal, you can then re-install the latest version of Comodo to see if it makes any difference.

To update Comodo Antivirus, all you have to do is to launch the app and hit the Update button, but the whole thing is a little bit better in the case of Comodo Cloud Antivirus where a manual update system is not available.

In this case, the only way to go is to launching Settings > General Settings > Updates and configure the option to “Check for program updates every” to 1 day, while also enabling “Automatically install program updates.” The application should then perform an update check at a later time and offer you the newer version that’s working correctly on the Windows 10 Creators Update.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
They are meant to release another hotfix sometime today (April 20) so it's worthwhile waiting a few more hours before installing. Maybe it came out already.

No new version yet...

1.png 2.png

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
does CF give u any problems on windows 10?
I have it installed right now, on Win 10 x64 with Creators Update.
The current build of CFW runs pretty smoothly, I must say.
The only problem I am aware of is that the Windows Defender Security Center doesn't know that my firewall is Comodo.
But the Windows Control panel does know this, so it is just a cosmetic problem.

After installing CFW, remember to turn off Windows firewall.

There are issues with Windows 7 and the current Comodo build, as reported on Comodo forum. But I saw no complaints from Windows 10 users.

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
I have it installed right now, on Windows 10 x64 with Creators Update.
The current build of CFW runs pretty smoothly, I must say.
The only problem I am aware of is that the Windows Defender Security Center doesn't know that my firewall is Comodo.
But the Windows Control panel does know this, so it is just a cosmetic problem.

After installing CFW, remember to turn off Windows firewall.

There are issues with Windows 7 and the current Comodo build, as reported on Comodo forum. But I saw no complaints from Windows 10 users.

I installed it on my dad's old laptop yesterday (Windows 10 x86 Creators Update) and it kept crashing Chrome when I tried to install new extensions

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I installed it on my dad's old laptop yesterday (Windows 10 x86 Creators Update) and it kept crashing Chrome when I tried to install new extensions
Right, I know that problem only too well, but the new build really should solve that problem. There is a workaround for the old build, too, but better to use the new build, like @Spawn said.

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
I installed it from Comodo's official website yesterday after the new build was released

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I installed it from Comodo's official website yesterday after the new build was released
Post on the Comodo forum, and let the experts over there troubleshoot it.

Sometimes, it is not possible to install Comodo without doing a fresh Windows install first.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@Winter Soldier and @Terry Ganzi,
However ridiculous and stupid the reality may be, sometimes that's just the way it is.
Certain security solutions are very tricky, especially Comodo, which is world-famous for its bugs. On the Comodo forum, they always recommend installing their product on a fresh Windows installation.

This sad reality applies also to Bitdefender and other security solutions -- they cannot be successfully installed on all systems, and the solution is a fresh reinstall of Windows.

In any case, the issue that was bothering @inuyasha could probably be resolved by disabling one of the Advanced Protections, but that is not an ideal solution, obviously.

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
i'm thinkin it might be something else because when i terminate CF, i still get the same issue

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
the comp i installed comodo was a fresh install. from xp lol
Yes, right, there is an issue with installing this build of Comodo on XP. I thought you were asking about Window 10.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
On Comodo forum, users complained of issues installing this build on Windows 7 and Windows XP. But the Windows 10 users were satisfied.

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
Yes, right, there is an issue with installing this build of Comodo on XP. I thought you were asking about Window 10.

I meant I upgraded from xp to windows 10 and it did a clean install of windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.