Serious Discussion Comodo Internet Security 2024 announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

I don't understand it either as to why they have to make major changes in new CIS. This is gonna take a long time, a very long time to finish the new CIS, if you ask me.
Why did they not just update the current version with bug fixes and some additional new features? That would suffice!
The changelog will say, as it always does, "Fixed 300+ bugs," but none of them will be the bugs you want fixed.

New Release = New Bugs + Old Unfixed Bugs = More Bugs

Looking at the new CIS UI:
Does 'Comodo Internet Security Premium' only offer a Firewall, Containment and a Shopping Card?
Does one have to click the Shopping Card (upgrade and pay) first to get all the features of the old 'Comodo Internet Security Premium' suite now being called as 'Comodo Internet Security'?
It looks like the new 'Comodo Internet Security Premium' doesn't have all features of the current V12.
Premium just provides support and a malware warranty, otherwise it has always been identical to the freeware version.

They've created a new link to submit 'Feature Requests for CIS' for the new CIS.
On the old forum many users submitted feature and wish requests over the past many years. What happened to these requests?
All down the drain?
Why would you think Comodo is going to implement feature requests that it has ignored for years in the next version?

Nah. A CTO should know how to run a post through MS Word to check for grammar mistakes.
Why would he put forth the effort, or even care? ... it is a freeware. A freeware gets the level of attention and effort that is appropriate for a product that brings in $0 in revenue.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Interesting... I will test it as usual to see what it has in the belly when the 2024 is released.

After Comodo, I don't trust it anymore... broken promises, bugs galore, and security holes everywhere...

Pico

Level 4
Thread author
Feb 6, 2023
The changelog will say, as it always does, "Fixed 300+ bugs," but none of them will be the bugs you want fixed.

New Release = New Bugs + Old Unfixed Bugs = More Bugs
Do they really fix bugs or do they just come up with fake bug fixes to make the changelog look good?

Premium just provides support and a malware warranty, otherwise it has always been identical to the freeware version.
I think you mix pro and premium.
From the new CIS UI screenshots it seems that the new premium doesn't offer the same features as the old (current V12) premium.

Why would you think Comodo is going to implement feature requests that it has ignored for years in the next version?
So we don't have to expect implementations of newly submitted feature requests in the upcoming version or in future versions either?

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

From the new CIS UI screenshots it seems that the new premium doesn't offer the same features as the old (current V12) premium.
Pro was freeware. Premium was paid and what the buyer was paying for was not more features, but instead technical support and a malware warranty.

I don't use Comodo, so I have not even bothered to look at the new version.

So we don't have to expect implementations of newly submitted feature requests in the upcoming version or in future versions either?
No, you do not. Comodo very rarely implements feature requests. That has been its stance and practice since the very first release.

After Comodo, I don't trust it anymore... broken promises, bugs galore, and security holes everywhere...
This is how Comodo has always been and it will never change. As far as "security holes everywhere" I am not sure what exactly you mean, but the containment does not have any security holes of concern. Oh, there are a couple of "bugs" listed on the 15-year-old bugs list, but those are not real threats. It is just users that do not understand getting all uppity about it and rambling nonsense "If it can do this then it is a 'serious security hole.' " It's nonsense and the reason Comodo never fixed them when they were reported years ago.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
As far as "security holes everywhere" I am not sure what exactly you mean, but the containment does not have any security holes of concern. Oh, there are a couple of "bugs" listed on the 15-year-old bugs list, but those are not real threats.

There was a security flaw that I tested a long time ago (before I came to MalwareTips), when you stole a digital signature approved by Comodo + crypt on a malware, Comodo said nothing and passed the Sandbox.
I don't know if this has been corrected, I'll have to check if I have some free time

Pico

Level 4
Thread author
Feb 6, 2023
No sign of upcoming bug fixes in new CIS.(n)
'List of current bugs' is not being processed anymore. (n)

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
No sign of upcoming bug fixes in new CIS.(n)
'List of current bugs' is not being processed anymore. (n)
do any of the old bugs have any impact/relevance in the new version of CIS

Pico

Level 4
Thread author
Feb 6, 2023
do any of the old bugs have any impact/relevance in the new version of CIS
In my opinion yes. There are bugs which should be addressed to improve security, stability and usability of new version CIS.
Also some features in CIS don't work as explained in CIS user's guide but that's another story.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
In my opinion yes. There are bugs which should be addressed to improve security, stability and usability of new version CIS.
Also some features in CIS don't work as explained in CIS user's guide but that's another story.
Sure, if those bugs affect it, then it makes sense to fix them properly. But that’s exactly my question. Are those bugs currently present in the new version?

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Sure, if those bugs affect it, then it makes sense to fix them properly. But that’s exactly my question. Are those bugs currently present in the new version?
The existing bugs list was almost 10 years old with bugs that Comodo develop had reviewed and decided never to fix.

If people want Comodo to fix bugs, then they should start paying for Pro. Once Melih sees that a substantial portion of the user-base is willing to pay for the product then he'll devote full-time resources to the product. Otherwise his development team is going to be rotated to the freeware only when they have free time - which has always been the Comodo development model.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I'll try out the new version when it comes out. I think I read somewhere that the Xcitium scanning engine was newer than the
8012 CIS one and the plan is to eventually bring the CIS scanning engine to match it but yeah, some of that faith is out of the window. Just out of patience to wait at the moment. Will just stick with MD, hardening windows and backup regularly.

Pico

Level 4
Thread author
Feb 6, 2023
New version of CIS is not finished / released yet but I assume that new version of CIS will be code based (or most parts of it) on current version of CIS which suffers of these bugs. Also ozer.metin said that new version of CIS 'will come with lots of bug fixes' which could mean that the 'lot of' bug fixes are being implemented in current code base.
Personally I don't think that new version of CIS is going to be developed from scratch because CIS is a very complex software product. Also they promised to release new CIS before summer so time frame is just too short to develop and test a new version of CIS from scratch.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
There was a security flaw that I tested a long time ago (before I came to MalwareTips), when you stole a digital signature approved by Comodo + crypt on a malware, Comodo said nothing and passed the Sandbox.
I don't know if this has been corrected, I'll have to check if I have some free time
It can not be corrected as this is not a vulnerability or bug. This is how Comodo’s containment and many other solutions for various performance, and usability reasons are designed.
They trust signed software blindly.

Some have a way of blacklisting stolen signatures eventually but until that happens, users are vulnerable. It is the same with Symantec/Norton Download Insight, Kaspersky App Control, Trend Micro’s default-deny and many other systems that attempt to establish binaries reputation in the process of taking a decision. I have bypassed all of these with signed malware, excluding Comodo which has never been of any interest to me.

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
Isn't their weakest point the antivirus? they have been trying to fix it for ages but most of the times they were only cosmetic rather than technical ones. Someone should tell them to just ditch it or hire something else like many other vendors do and focus on their strongest area which is FW and Hips or anything else.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Isn't their weakest point the antivirus? they have been trying to fix it for ages but most of the times they were only cosmetic rather than technical ones. Someone should tell them to just ditch it or hire something else like many other vendors do and focus on their strongest area which is FW and Hips or anything else.
Yeah, maybe they could use something like Bitdefender for the antivirus / anti-malware side of things, like various other vendors do; even Microsoft would be better, at least back when I used to use Comodo, if it is even possible for them to partner with them.

Reactions: Trident
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.