Serious Discussion Comodo Internet Security 2024 announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

We should listen to Melih and his buddy @Oerlink :cool:
When something is given for free, you have no right to any expectations. You either accept what you are given "As Is" or you do not.. It is a very simple concept that even a 5 year old can understand.

Melih owes nobody anything. That you keep insisting that he does is just plain wrong. I think you already know that. What you really want is just to keep bashing me. Just waiting for you to start slinging the ad hominems because you got nothin'.

How is it even possible for you to think that Melih and Comodo are obligated to do anything?

Bumblebee Uncle

Level 3
Well-known
Mar 15, 2022
Nah. I'm not promoting Comodo at all. Nor am I defending it. What I am saying is that anybody that keeps complaining about Comodo is wasting their time. Also, expecting the next version of Comodo to be some polished, bug-fixed version is wishful thinking.

Here is the Comodo PR message: "It is free. You either accept what we give you, and if you can't, then go find a different product. We don't owe you anything."
Melih should hire you at this point! Anyways, I got a world to explore out there than romanticize comodo! Good luck on your ventures @Oerlink and proving to everyone that you know better. Peace out ❤️

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Melih should hire you at this point! Anyways, I got a world to explore out there than romanticize comodo! Good luck on your ventures @Oerlink and proving to everyone that you know better. Peace out ❤️
A free product needs no PR. It sells itself at $0. That is why Comodo has millions of satisfied users.

• Applause
Reactions: vtqhtr413

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
A free product can not have PR. The standard is about 2-3% of the revenue to he reinvested in R&D and about 15-20 in marketing, PR, sales. 0.15 x 0 = 0 😀

• +Reputation
Reactions: ForgottenSeer 98186

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Free 'as is' and Comodo still created probably the strongest firewall out there. In all the years I used Comodo, It just worked. I never experienced any of the bugs, but I never tried digging deep into the software. I installed it and used it, later adopting Cruelsister's recommendations.

I am curious, though. I understand Xcitiium Enterprise, or Endpoint, whatever it's called, uses the firewall pretty much with Cruelsister's settings. Have the bugs been ironed out and fixed with it?

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
The Xcitium products have various changelogs available on the Xcitium forums — they are definitely frequently updated and maintained. I had a look at the console quickly and saw no evidence of Cruelsister’s settings, the only thing that I saw is some settings being more logically managed outright now. The console reveals features that have largely remained the same as Comodo, apart from the Valkyrie integration.

That being said even their cloud console and portal were very iffy (to put it mildly). I had tremendous issues signing up (the process was hanging, after refresh I am already signed up). The configuration profile for iPhone (it supports iOS too) has expired. I had to provide tons of details (for the second time) to buy 0-priced Valkyrie so I can get started. All in all it didn’t feel like a premium product even before I’ve installed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
The Xcitium products have various changelogs available on the Xcitium forums — they are definitely frequently updated and maintained. I had a look at the console quickly and saw no evidence of Cruelsister’s settings, the only thing that I saw is some settings being more logically managed outright now. The console reveals features that have largely remained the same as Comodo, apart from the Valkyrie integration.

That being said even their cloud console and portal were very iffy (to put it mildly). I had tremendous issues signing up (the process was hanging, after refresh I am already signed up). The configuration profile for iPhone (it supports iOS too) has expired. I had to provide tons of details (for the second time) to buy 0-priced Valkyrie so I can get started. All in all it didn’t feel like a premium product even before I’ve installed it.
Okay, I stand corrected. I don't recall on which forum I read a post saying they used her settings. Still, from a couple of incidents I've read, once you jump through all the hoops and suffer all the aggravation, their Enterprise product seems to be effective.

Free or paid it's really a shame. They have a powerful and effective firewall that works without incident for the average and below average computer user (I see myself as average). As long as you don't try to tinker with it, it's solid. On the other hand, an experienced user is left frustrated by all the bugs, that they know will never be resolved.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I posted that the Xcitium is basically CIS with Cruel Sisters settings. I requested info and got it mailed. That is why I posted his Melihness should buy CruelsSister a set of priceless diamonds (assuming diamonds are a girl's best friends). Xcitiium desktop is FW + Sandbox

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I posted that the Xcitium is basically CIS with Cruel Sisters settings. I requested info and got it mailed. That is why I posted his Melihness should buy CruelsSister a set of priceless diamonds (assuming diamonds are a girl's best friends). Xcitiium desktop is FW + Sandbox
And it works. Using her settings malware is contained. It can't infect the system, send data out, nor can it receive instructions. It's neutered.

Reactions: Trident

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Most of the malware when sandboxed will not even try and do anything to prevent malicious behaviour, as well as IoCs from being studied. It will simply exit, some will even attempt to delete itself. This can be proven by opening 10 samples at VirusTotal.

There is some malware-as-service that lets customers (attackers) decide at the time of final building whether they want to evade virtualisation or not. Majority of them would chose to evade it.

These settings that are applied have just been the most logical and I am not convinced they were copied from somewhere — most likely they’ve been reviewed in-house. I personally would apply the same.

Pico

Level 4
Thread author
Feb 6, 2023
Unfortunately Comodo FW isn't that strong.
It is easily bypassed by many VPNs, it does not monitor or allow rule creation for services, winpcap npcap and the like can pass through too.
Comodo FW has holes...

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
It is easily bypassed by many VPNs, it does not monitor or allow rule creation for services, winpcap npcap and the like can pass through too.
Comodo FW has holes...
Did not know that about VPNs, but my job never gave me the time to do any type of software or malware testing. Now, retired, I've discovered I'm almost in the same situation with 'honey do' projects to keep my wife happy.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I especially wondered about Comodo's business model... as many users use their free solutions.

And I don't think they have a big market share on Enterprises. I usually see Symantec, Trend Micro, Kaspersky or Eset in the enterprise.
Well, they sell SSL certificates but I don't think that's all they sell...

Coming back to Comodo itself, I would like them to improve the anti-malware engine because it is terribly lagging behind.
I know that Comodo fanboys will say "Yes, but you have the Sandbox, who cares" NO! A Sandbox can't protect a PC by itself!

Some malware once virtualized will either do simple calculations or just close itself... This is the case for example of some samples of GuLoader that refuse to run on a VMware...

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
And I don't think they have a big market share on Enterprises. I usually see Symantec, Trend Micro, Kaspersky or Eset in the enterprise.
Well, they sell SSL certificates but I don't think that's all they sell...
They don’t. Their website as well is a hot mess and parts of it look really unprofessional. It doesn’t look like businesses are queuing in front of Comodo headquarters to speak to sales.

Comodo no longer sells certificates. After Symantec had the mismanagement and issues with Google (as well as several other businesses), Comodo used that (their misfortune) to form a cheap marketing campaign. Later on it turned out Comodo certification business is just as bad and it was sold to Sectigo.

Coming back to Comodo itself, I would like them to improve the anti-malware engine because it is terribly lagging behind.
I know that Comodo fanboys will say "Yes, but you have the Sandbox, who cares" NO! A Sandbox can't protect a PC by itself!
That anti-malware engine that Melih has said is there just to stop old malware is a joke. Apparently for the xcitium products this engine has been reworked and is more oriented to cloud-detonation through Valkyrie. My worry here is that competitive approaches like Avast CyberCapture and Eset LiveGuard are notoriously bad with evasive malware, slapping safe verdicts left and right. I am not aware if this is the case with Valkyrie but maybe if you have slated the product for a test could have a look instead of me.

Some malware once virtualized will either do simple calculations or just close itself... This is the case for example of some samples of GuLoader that refuse to run on a VMware...
Not just GuLoader, a lot of malware families, if configured by the attacker, would attempt to evade emulation and virtualisation. Although emulators and containers will normally be configured to “trick” malware, many malware writers are good at evasion.

As for the firewall, I don’t believe firewall is of extreme importance (by not using Comodo Firewall the world is not ending). Simple code injection is a good workaround for the firewall’s abilities to block dodgy apps, more important are techniques that block access to FUQDN/IPS. Only Norton/Symantec have a quality software-based IPS, other vendors require an appliance.

Last edited:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Comodo FW has holes...
That's down to with the firewall adapter driver. Seems to work with some if the vpn adapter is installed before CF but yeah, one of those bugs. But that's just traffic filtering, Comodo's main power is containment. I think they should just release containment as a tiny stand-alone and people can whitelist what they want.

Pico

Level 4
Thread author
Feb 6, 2023
That's down to with the firewall adapter driver. Seems to work with some if the vpn adapter is installed before CF but yeah, one of those bugs. But that's just traffic filtering, Comodo's main power is containment.
True, but knowing that trapped (contained) malware might be able to phone home doesn't feel good.

Reactions: ErzCrz
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

I especially wondered about Comodo's business model... as many users use their free solutions.
Melih's net worth = $1.6 billion USD

Melih owns these companies:

1. Venture capital incubator
2. DNS service:
3. Xcitium enterprise services
4. Services for Managed Services Providers:
5. Comodo group is still an SSL certficate seller:
6. Comodo Group still sells signing Certificates as a "White Label" partner of Sectigo:
7. Home Automation:
Smart Home - The Last You'll Ever Need - Ezlo Smart Home

And, finally, his "Melihness" has a message for all of you:

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Melih's net worth = $1.6 billion USD
Respect!
However, none of his businesses are exceptionally good at what they do. Looking at these websites, none of them left me with the impression that passionate pros are standing behind the company.
The certificate division is cybercriminals’ favourite.

His USD 1.6 bn is a lot but compared to the giants in the industry, such as Symantec STAR whose technology generated 5 billion through Broadcom and 3 billion more through NortonLifeLock, fades. In a year. Doesn’t look like Xcitium is really a major player.

Reactions: Shadowra
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

His USD 1.6 bn is a lot

Melih gives a person $20.
Person: "What am I going to do with this? You're worth $1.6 billion. Now gimme some. You owe the world."
Melih: "You can always give that $20 to someone else or give it back if you don't like the amount."
Person: "Capitalist fascist!"

:ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.