Serious Discussion Comodo Internet Security 2024 announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Isn't their weakest point the antivirus? they have been trying to fix it for ages but most of the times they were only cosmetic rather than technical ones. Someone should tell them to just ditch it or hire something else like many other vendors do and focus on their strongest area which is FW and Hips or anything else.
On the old Comodo forums Melih said (paraphrasing) "antivirus is there to detect old malware and prevent needless auto-sandboxing." So one should never expect Comodo to "fix" their antivirus.

Then there was Cloud Antivirus, which was well-received, and like so many Comodo initiatives was abruptly abandoned. Internally it was decided not to be a worthwhile effort.

Reactions: [correlate]

Pico

Level 4
Thread author
Feb 6, 2023
As already mentioned Comodo created a new link for submitting feature request in new CIS.
They have already gathered some requests one of them being 'Advanced mode interface CIS 2024'

Current CIS V12 and its predecessors already had an advanced settings mode (besides the basic one) so why a new or another 'Advanced mode interface CIS 2024'?
Why do they have to remove this feature from current CIS to the new CIS knowing that this feature is being used by many (and maybe the majority of) CIS users?
Taking out a feature and selling it as a new one is like running in circles, getting nowhere.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

As already mentioned Comodo created a new link for submitting feature request in new CIS.
They have already gathered some requests one of them being 'Advanced mode interface CIS 2024'

Current CIS V12 and its predecessors already had an advanced settings mode (besides the basic one) so why a new or another 'Advanced mode interface CIS 2024'?
Why do they have to remove this feature from current CIS to the new CIS knowing that this feature is being used by many (and maybe the majority of) CIS users?
Taking out a feature and selling it as a new one is like running in circles, getting nowhere.
COMODO.png

Bumblebee Uncle

Level 3
Well-known
Mar 15, 2022
The existing bugs list was almost 10 years old with bugs that Comodo develop had reviewed and decided never to fix.

If people want Comodo to fix bugs, then they should start paying for Pro. Once Melih sees that a substantial portion of the user-base is willing to pay for the product then he'll devote full-time resources to the product. Otherwise his development team is going to be rotated to the freeware only when they have free time - which has always been the Comodo development model.
still not done defending comodo 😂

Pico

Level 4
Thread author
Feb 6, 2023
The same freeware product is also being distributed as a paid product including the same bugs.
Who is willing to pay for such a "As is" product that is full of bugs that stubborn Comodo refuses to fix? Exactly, no one!
Speaking of loss of revenue.....

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

The same freeware product is also being distributed as a paid product including the same bugs.
The paid product is not the software, but the support and the malware warranty. The software is still a freeware under the "paid" product.

Take an hour and download the Comodo EULA and the Terms of Service. It clearly states the software is offered "As Is."

Don't like it? Then don't use it.

Pico

Level 4
Thread author
Feb 6, 2023
The paid product is not the software, but the support and the malware warranty. The software is still a freeware under the "paid" product.

Take an hour and download the Comodo EULA and the Terms of Service. It clearly states the software is offered "As Is."

Don't like it? Then don't use it.
Does that also apply to the Enterprise version?

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Guys let’s not start with that again. Oerlink is right, this is a free product. When someone is giving you free coffee and pastry you can’t criticise that the coffee was weak and the pastry was dry.

Everyone else is right as well, this is not the best product — bugs not fixed, CVEs not patched, etc. Consumer feedback not listened to at all…

Some users may wish to divert their attention to a more supported and professional product with a price tag on it.

Btw why should Comodo appoint special teams to work just on Comodo. Why not just create a “dupe” of the xcitium business line and offer that? Like slightly limited OpenEDR.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

I did not even write anything about using or not using :) Just how you are defending it- its hilarious!
There is no need to defend Comodo because Comodo is not doing anything that needs to be defended in the first place.

At the end of the day, Comodo has no obligation to anyone beyond what is legally required in any contractual agreements it has. Its EULAs and Terms of Service are no different than any other software publisher's. Go look at the repeated complaints on the Bitdefender forums, the Kaspersky forums, and so on. You will see that same kinds of complaints, the same frustrations, and the same general dissatisfaction and discontent over those products. (Although it has always been more intense regarding Comodo.)

I get that people are frustrated about the bugs and that they feel as if Comodo ignores many things. What I am trying to explain is that Comodo is never going to change. So a person has a decision to make - either keep beating their head against a wall over it, drop Comodo and move onto a different product, or accept Comodo for what it is.

You know these online discussions are devoid of many things - inflection of voice, the context of seeing a person's face and body language, the obvious intent that a face-to-face discussion reveals that an online discussion does not. People are going to interpret online posts as they wish. None of us can do anything about it. So within that context, I can understand why many here think I am defending Comodo. If readers think me pointing out to them that their complaints about Comodo are wasted effort, and that in turn is a defense of Comodo, then that is their prerogative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bumblebee Uncle

Level 3
Well-known
Mar 15, 2022
There is no need to defend Comodo because Comodo is not doing anything that needs to be defended in the first place.

At the end of the day, Comodo has no obligation to anyone beyond what is legally required in any contractual agreements it has. Its EULAs and Terms of Service are no different than any other software publisher's. Go look at the repeated complaints on the Bitdefender forums, the Kaspersky forums, and so on. You will see that same kinds of complaints, the same frustrations, and the same general dissatisfaction and discontent over those products. (Although it has always been more intense regarding Comodo.)

I get that people are frustrated about the bugs and that they feel as if Comodo ignores many things. What I am trying to explain is that Comodo is never going to change. So a person has a decision to make - either keep beating their head against a wall over it, drop Comodo and move onto a different product, or accept Comodo for what it is.

You know these online discussions are devoid of many things - inflection of voice, the context of seeing a person's face and body language, the obvious intent that a face-to-face discussion reveals that an online discussion does not. People are going to interpret online posts as they wish. None of us can do anything about it. So within that context, I can understand why many here think I am defending Comodo. If readers think me pointing out to them that their complaints about Comodo are wasted effort, and that in turn is a defense of Comodo, then that is their prerogative.
For someone who doesn't use Comodo, you pack a lot of firepower for their PR team! Wishing you all the best.

Pico

Level 4
Thread author
Feb 6, 2023
It's not my intention to start this discussion all over again but do other software publishers also have a bug list that's over 10 years old?
Other software publishers have the same EULAs and Terms of Service but could it be that those other publishers are more willingly to listen to their user base and fix crititical things reported by them?

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
It's not my intention to start this discussion all over again but do other software publishers also have a bug list that's over 10 years old?
Other software publishers have the same EULAs and Terms of Service but could it be that those other publishers are more willingly to listen to their user base and fix crititical things reported by them?
But that’s the conclusion now we all came to — Comodo doesn’t consider fixing these bugs a necessity. So it’s up to you whether you wish to use a product like this. When at least 10-15 other, major AVs exist and more than 5 are offered for free.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

I already explained to you many times that Comodo is never going to fix certain bugs. They have said it not once, but many times on the old Comodo forum. Also, they have ignored the bug list for over a decade. So what is it that you and others that complain about Comodo think you are going to accomplish? Melih says he subsidizes the product and provides it for free - as he sees fit. That means he is going to do what he wants. He does listen to users, but in many instances he thinks user complaints are bogus. So you are never going to get anything better out of Comodo. Period.

The CIS and CFW products do not have full-time dedicated development team. The products are freeware and offered "As Is." It is a freeware product and if it is released with 10,000 bugs and 10,000 "security holes," and Melih thinks that is OK, then that is what you are going to get.

Reactions: [correlate]
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

For someone who doesn't use Comodo, you pack a lot of firepower for their PR team! Wishing you all the best.
Nah. I'm not promoting Comodo at all. Nor am I defending it. What I am saying is that anybody that keeps complaining about Comodo is wasting their time. Also, expecting the next version of Comodo to be some polished, bug-fixed version is wishful thinking.

Here is the Comodo PR message: "It is free. You either accept what we give you, and if you can't, then go find a different product. We don't owe you anything."

Reactions: Trident
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.