Serious Discussion Comodo Internet Security 2024 announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

NormanF

Level 8
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
But that’s the conclusion now we all came to — Comodo doesn’t consider fixing these bugs a necessity. So it’s up to you whether you wish to use a product like this. When at least 10-15 other, major AVs exist and more than 5 are offered for free.

Most software is essentially abandonware. It costs a lot of time, money and hard work to develop it and the return in making major upgrades to it and fixing bugs isn't there. Use it and accept the limitations or move on. Rarely are new features or improvements offered. This is an industry practice and Comodo isn't the only one guilty of it.

• Wow
Reactions: Nevi and Trident

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Most software is essentially abandonware. It costs a lot of time, money and hard work to develop it and the return in making major upgrades to it and fixing bugs isn't there. Use it and accept the limitations or move on. Rarely are new features or improvements offered. This is an industry practice and Comodo isn't the only one guilty of it.
Most software is not abandonware, even if new features are not always implemented -- these require time to research, check patents, develop and test. But most vendors fix bugs and offer small updates. The same can't be said about Comodo. I don't see any valid reason why someone should use software like this.

NormanF

Level 8
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
Most software is not abandonware, even if new features are not always implemented -- these require time to research, check patents, develop and test. But most vendors fix bugs and offer small updates. The same can't be said about Comodo. I don't see any valid reason why someone should use software like this.

I would agree there is a return with paid products. Freeware is going to have a certain set of features and is often accompanied by a nag screen offering an upsell to a higher tier, paid version. The former is a loss leader to get people to buy a company's products. In the old days, people used to buy a new boxed version when one came out every couple of years and now its software as a service.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I would agree there is a return with paid products. Freeware is going to have a certain set of features and is often accompanied by a nag screen offering an upsell to a higher tier, paid version. The former is a loss leader to get people to buy a company's products. In the old days, people used to buy a new boxed version when one came out every couple of years and now its software as a service.
End of the day you need to decide what you want in life. Do you want something actively maintained (we've seen Avast and BD changelogs) with nag screens or do you want something without nag screens that's jam packed with bugs, security holes, incompatibilities (in other words just a disaster waiting to happen). Or maybe spring up some cash you'd spend on a Mai Tai and tobacco one night out for protection? If you have £500-£2000/3000 for a device certainly you will have £20 for security.

Pico

Level 4
Thread author
Feb 6, 2023
Freeware is going to have a certain set of features and is often accompanied by a nag screen offering an upsell to a higher tier, paid version
Not in Comodo''s CIS for consumers case. The paid consumer CIS product is functional equal to the free CIS product having the same features and bugs. The only thing you get extra with the paid version is technical support.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Not in Comodo''s CIS for consumers case. The paid consumer CIS product is functional equal to the free CIS product having the same features and bugs. The only thing you get extra with the paid version is technical support.
This argument was ran before with a user named Oerlink who unfortunately was banned (probably still overseeing some discussions). In the argument @Max90 asked a very spicy question that remained unanswered. What will this paid technical support reply when users contact them about software bugs?

Pico

Level 4
Thread author
Feb 6, 2023
This argument was ran before with a user named Oerlink who unfortunately was banned (probably still overseeing some discussions). In the argument @Max90 asked a very spicy question that remained unanswered. What will this paid technical support reply when users contact them about software bugs?
I didn't visit this forum for quite some time and when I returned I noticed that user's name was renamed, I don't know for what reason or what has happened.
I never asked Technical Support about any bugs or problems because I think that doesn't solve anything...

Reactions: Nevi and Trident

Sandbox Breaker

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 6, 2022
Still no news. What we have is Xcitium ignoring the fact that they are allowing malicious samples. It would be wise for the company itself to chime in here.

Reactions: Trident
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Yeah, we have to be kind to Comodo users, they have been disappointed by his Melihness so often. This time the CTO of Xcited announced the new (=updated) and enhanced (=bugs fixed) CIS version, so even I,a Comodo non-believer, thought that I had to swallow my critique and this time it might actually really happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Still no news. What we have is Xcitium ignoring the fact that they are allowing malicious samples. It would be wise for the company itself to chime in here.
Screenshot 2023-07-02 225521.png

👀

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Each time I watch this part of the movie "Iron Sky", I visualize in my mind his Melihness and the holy congregation of Comodo' believers:

Are we in a closed system or an open system?
It is a closed system.
And it is only in a closed system
where we control all the inputs
so the outputs will be in harmony.
It is a perfect mechanism.
Now let us pray for our holy father, Steve,
to shed light on us.
Look at your ePrayer apps.

[Crowd] Holy Steve, who art in the cloud,
hallowed be thy designs.
Thy will return as the CEO when others have failed us.
Give us our inflated devices prices...

There's somebody here who does not
appreciate flawless design.
Someone who considers themself power user.
You.
Let me see your phone.

Jail-broken.

Why don't you want to be like everyone else?
Is our selection of default wallpapers not sufficient?
Do we not provide you with an adequate choice in ringtones?
You know what happens when unauthorized changes are made.

You get bricky bricked.

No, no.
No, no, no!
I believe in Steve, I believe in Steve!
I believe Steve, I believe in Steve!

[Female] I believe in...

[phone exploding] Have a nice afterlife.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.