Status
Not open for further replies.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I was wondering if you could and if so can you change settings that way with your phone?

well I have not tried to change cylance dashboard settings from safari on my iphone8, I just know that I was able to login to the dashboard that way. I have only really used the dashboard from chrome on windows. I just put cylance smart on a 2d little used pc in a more remote location that's only behind an isp router, but I also threw on cf10@cs expecting (hoping) to block those scripts etc that cylance misses. Reading this thread with interest. Good insights on all sides. Thanks to ForgottenSeer 58943.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
Theory-crafting is fun.. Think about this combo - zero system weight, and what should be bulletproof protection.

Cylance (Paid)
Cylance Smart Antivirus - Home Security, Powered by AI

Windows Defender Browser Extension (Free)
Windows Defender Browser Protection

Syshardener (Free)
Harden Windows Settings with SysHardener | NoVirusThanks

Basically zero system weight with superior protection and no-nags from default-deny/SRP/whitelist applications. So not only do you get some mighty fine zero day/unknown malware protection. But you've closed out any of it's gaps without any additional out of pocket expenses. WD Browser extension is impressive IMO. Syshardener stops the scripts and some other trash. Even a potato system would be greased lightening with that combo. The next time my inlaws ask me to come over and remove malware from their systems I am rolling that combo on them as my field test. :D

Thread author
MSP's enforce best practice deployment and management because the liability for an outbreak or compromise gets shifted to the MSP.

Compromise is never shifted to the Managed Service Provider. No MSP in their right mind will accept such liability. We offer MSP as an option and the issues of liability are very strictly limited. It's a standard industry MSP service level agreement. So I cannot imagine any MSP stating that they will accept liability for compromises.

To cover costs, savvy customers usually carry data breach\compromise insurance or the SLA requires it. One way or another the MSP isn't going to assume the liability and all the costs of a compromise. And the customer is instructed to assume that their systems will be compromised. It is just a matter of time.

I can guarantee that Cylance is not going to assume absolute liability for any kind of compromise... not at $30 per install. Typically, a negotiated liability agreement will be, at most, three times what the client has paid for the services. And that is if you can find an outsourced IT provider of any type who is even willing to agree to such a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Theory-crafting is fun.. Think about this combo - zero system weight, and what should be bulletproof protection.

Cylance (Paid)
Cylance Smart Antivirus - Home Security, Powered by AI

Windows Defender Browser Extension (Free)
Windows Defender Browser Protection

Syshardener (Free)
Harden Windows Settings with SysHardener | NoVirusThanks

Basically zero system weight with superior protection and no-nags from default-deny/SRP/whitelist applications. So not only do you get some mighty fine zero day/unknown malware protection. But you've closed out any of it's gaps without any additional out of pocket expenses. WD Browser extension is impressive IMO. Syshardener stops the scripts and some other trash. Even a potato system would be greased lightening with that combo. The next time my inlaws ask me to come over and remove malware from their systems I am rolling that combo on them as my field test. :D

Then add a Gryphon router and a good anti-phishing anti-malware filtering DNS and BAM you are running overkill protection that is almost unnoticeable on your system.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
Compromise is never shifted to the Managed Service Provider. No MSP in their right mind will accept such liability.

Don't confuse legal and financial liability with continuance liability. Where the liability falls with the MSP is that once a corporation is compromised the chances of that corporation continuing their contract(business) with that MSP is very low. In the industry, one of the biggest reasons cited for changing MSP's is the fact they failed to protect their client. That's the liability I was referring to. MSP's that fail to utilize best practices and protect their client won't be MSP's for very long. At the same time, all of this is rapidly increasingly the hardening and security of corporations as they shift from on-prem to hosted, from in-house IT to managed IT. You don't even need to PF for many organizations now, that alone increases security significantly.

Then add a Gryphon router and a good anti-phishing anti-malware filtering DNS and BAM you are running overkill protection that is almost unnoticeable on your system.

That's some serious layering and protection. You'd have all of the endpoint stuff, then adding ESET Enterprise to the gateway along with AI/ML IPS (with the Gryphon), and one of those phat filtering DNS services? Toss the theater and bloated suites into the dustbin of history and save yourself a lot of money down the road as well.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
So I have counted like 4-5 regular users of Cylance commenting, anyone else? Maybe someone out of 800+ MT guests? Don't be shy and chime in, share your experience with Cylance or if you use Cylance Smart Antivirus. All feedback is appreciated, either good or bad. (y)

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
I contacted them through their website 1.5 weeks ago with a basic question before purchasing their product and have yet to receive any response... :unsure:
Go here Cylance Home Support and right bottom of the page you will see an green "message" button, click on it and type in your question if live support (chat) is offline, they will respond to your email.

If they still haven't responded to you in a week try reaching them using some of these contact support details. Contact Us
Also take note there might be a slight delay or they have slipped by your msg since they are hammered a lot with questions and interest in Cylance Home Antivirus.

Thread author
Don't confuse legal and financial liability with continuance liability. Where the liability falls with the MSP is that once a corporation is compromised the chances of that corporation continuing their contract(business) with that MSP is very low. In the industry, one of the biggest reasons cited for changing MSP's is the fact they failed to protect their client. That's the liability I was referring to. MSP's that fail to utilize best practices and protect their client won't be MSP's for very long. At the same time, all of this is rapidly increasingly the hardening and security of corporations as they shift from on-prem to hosted, from in-house IT to managed IT. You don't even need to PF for many organizations now, that alone increases security significantly.

The great lament of MSPs is that their clients refuse to comply with the recommended best practices and programs put into place by the MSP. Most MSPs will advise that "Hey... simply installing some soft isn't sufficient. You have to do other stuff." The other big one is that MSP customers want something for nothing - meaning that they don't want to pay. They're cheap and cut corners. So most MSPs expect customers to come and go. So they don't factor-in "continuance liability." Well, technically they do by always selling and not becoming complacent with their customer base. It's expected that customers will jump ship all the time.

Enterprises are just like security forum software geeks. They think the next solution will be better and jump ship, only to find out that it is just the same issues all over again. They don't change. That's my general observation.

Thread author
You are free to keep living on a locked down bermuda island and have a less chanse to survive than us jumping on a ship and sailing through other dimension Ai triangle. :D

I don't care what people use. People should use what they like. There is a solution for every person.

Let me explain what is happening in this thread. I have only mentioned default-deny a couple of times. And not once have I promoted the use of AppGuard. I might work for AppGuard, but participation here is not promotion. In fact, I don't promote AppGuard at all here at MT. There are many different types of people, and each has their own wants and needs when it comes to IT security. There's enough products out there to satisfy everyone. So I always state that people should use what they like. What works best for them. Like I've said in this thread it isn't a matter of default-deny versus default-allow. I promote a middle ground based in reality instead of wishful thinking. And I have not bashed Cylance a single time. In fact, I have gone on record posting that it is a decent antivirus. What I have done here is to merely re-quote facts and opinions - as open discussion and as a counter-point to some nonsense posted in this thread - what anyone can find on the web by merely putting forth the effort to find it and as stated by others at the forefront of Ai. And it is obvious that because it is me posting it, some are getting bent out of shape. The problem is those people being biased and reacting instead of what I have posted. Like I have said many times, people assign meaning and intent as they wish.

As far as AppGuard, it isn't for everyone. It is superior protection, but not everyone handle it. A lot of people cannot handle any default-deny. But that doesn't say too much because there's a lot of people that struggle just to use Windows at a basic level. The home users that employ default-deny tend to be hardcore security geeks. At the same time there are basic home users, who are confident in their abilities and utilize best practice behaviors, install AppGuard or whatever default-deny solution and never have any extraordinary problems or difficulty. Like I have said repeatedly... to each his own. There are more than enough products out there that everyone should be able to find what works best for them.

There is no reason for me to promote AppGuard here because the company itself doesn't sell to home users any longer. And my participation here is not promotion. It is just participation.

Accurately describing the musical AV chairs that people and organizations play, is what it is... describing the reality of what they do. It is no secret. It is a well-known fact by the industry as a whole. People are always thinking that they can find a better mousetrap. And it just ain't true. In the end, more often than not, they are sorely disappointed. It's a completely legit observation. And there is nothing wrong with making a statement about it.

However, it is you and others who have been repeatedly taking jabs... trying to bait me. Well it just isn't going to work. I've been on the forums far to long to fall for it. Your, as well as others' behavior, is proof of what I have said repeatedly... that some people are just way too emotionally involved in this stuff. There are some people on the forums that are easily offended when a thread doesn't go their way and they lash out at others.

Anyway I will stand by what I have said repeatedly. Within months, if not weeks, the people here shilling Cylance will have moved on to the next latest and greatest.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
However, it is you and others who have been repeatedly taking jabs... trying to bait me. Well it just isn't going to work. I've been on the forums far to long to fall for it. Your, as well as others' behavior, is proof of what I have said repeatedly... that some people are just way too emotionally involved in this stuff.
All good as long as you don't feel offended for pulling your leg from time to time, then I would apologize. I am a monkey in chinese horoscope, so I sometimes go ape mode. No bad intentions involved. We all are friends and learn about different security software here. :emoji_v::D

Thread author
All good as long as you don't feel offended for pulling your leg from time to time, then I would apologize. I am a monkey in chinese horoscope, so I sometimes go ape mode. No bad intentions involved. We all are friends and learn about different security software here. :emoji_v::D

Thank you.

I am just asking that you please consider where I am coming from. When it comes to softs, everything is not always as it seems.

Default-deny will not solve all your problems. Nor will default-allow. And I can levy harsh criticisms on both protection models, the industry, and education as well. Because the ongoing problem, is that for the vast majority of people on the planet, both protection models really aren't helping them to get a better grasp of IT security matters. Some argue that educating users isn't necessary. That's what the products are intended to do - to cope with peoples' ignorance. The unfortunate truth is that products fail miserably in that regard and, in fact, the opposite is true. I closely watch the unknowledgeable and inexperienced grapple with products, and the fact is that even with seemingly simple products the complexity is too high and\or the nuances are very poorly explained - if explained at all - and all of it generally only creates more user confusion. The thinking is that automation and minimalism will solve user confusion. Nope. Not a chance. Only education can solve that problem. But since it is too difficult and expensive to do it properly, the industry and society do next to nothing to solve this primary issue.

Anyhow, I advocate that people should use what they like. That way there is a much greater probability that they will stick with it.

Thread author
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
Sometimes even most simple answers are detailed in software manuals, FAQ's, whitepapers. I guess it's easier to ask in forum and get a fast direct answer, but I can't judge, when I go into a shop I don't read etiquettes on other side which hair shampoo is the best, I just ask girls directly which is the best, and that's my fault there because I don't want to waste my time on that, and something similiar are with Windows users, security is just "time wasting" for them. Tendency is that higher price products are suggested, but does that mean they are better for my hair type? No. I don't know until I have tryed all shampoos which one is best for me.

Thread author
Sometimes even most simple answers are detailed in software manuals, FAQ's, whitepapers. I guess it's easier to ask in forum and get a fast direct answer, but I can't judge, when I go into a shop I don't read etiquette on other side which hair shampoo is best, I just ask girls directly which is the best. And tendency is that higher price products are suggested, but does that mean they are better for my hair type? No. I don't know until I have tryed all shampoos which one is best for me.

Manuals suxx. I know because I just spent a month proof reading and editing one of our manuals and passed all the stuff that I found to the technical writer. Most people need step-by-step, how-to instruction and manuals very rarely do that. If I don't know about something, and I reach for the manual, I expect that manual to explain it to me like I'm 5 years old - as if I don't know anything. But manuals aren't like that at all. They leave huge information gaps (with the implication that the user is left to figuring stuff out on their own or having to go elsewhere to find the infos they need to understand). It seems to me that manuals create many more questions than they ever answer. So that tells me that manuals, generally, are epic fails.

It is so time intensive and expensive to write an exceptionally good manual (or other teaching materials such as videos and online knowledge bases) that practically no one puts for the effort to create exceptionally good resources.

The other argument is that users cannot be overwhelmed by a 1000 page manual. Well it's a better alternative than a user having to spend hours, days, weeks and months of frustration searching for answers online that, most of the time, turn out to be half-assed and don't really answer the user's questions or readily increase their understanding.

And unfortunately, almost no one reads manuals. They just jump-in, and start to use the soft... attempting to figure things out as they go. So the thinking is why put extraordinary effort into a manual if virtually no one is going to read it in the first place ?

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
And unfortunately, almost no one reads manuals. They just jump-in, and start to use the soft... attempting to figure things out as they go. So the thinking is why put extraordinary effort into a manual if virtually no one is going to read it in the first place ?
I think that security software enthusiasts read manuals and do more deep research about specific software they are interested in. I like to read manuals which can help to learn how to use that software more efficiently. However people do read manuals for medicine they use, so that's means "security online" is not important and can be ignored. Maybe people will start to think when chips with unique digit codes will be implanted under their skin to recognize and locate them instantly if it's needed to and when credit cards and real cash will be no more, nor VPN, any software or underground bunker will help to hide or disclose your Identity at that time. To me, that's an end.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
AppGuard INC has various ex-CIA officers and executives on its board as well as others in the company with prior government experience.

A very wise decision! However two possibilities exist for their presence and continued employment:

1). The Lunatic Fringe sees such people being on the Board as some sort of conspiracy of the Shadow Government or a Secret Plan of Extraterrestrials from the Planet Zog (where else?).

2). Those that read (and understood) "The Wealth of Nations" realize that this is just the best way to secure Government business (and you can really inflate the price for those Fools as, after all, it's not their money...).

Using Occam's Razor, which of the above two explanations for the presence of ex-Government Folk would be the correct one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.