New Update DefenderUI by VoodooShield - Turn on Hidden Security Features of Microsoft Defender

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
I had only Hard Configurator before but I reset the settings too windows default, rebooted, uninstalled it, rebooted again and then installed Defender UI.
After I found out it was the Defender UI Pro version I wanted to test I uninstalled Defender UI and got the error.

It's not about editing a whitelist it's about seeing whats on it. How can I check if a reset worked when I can't the the whitelist in the first place :D
Thank you for letting me know... I tested both with Core Isolation enabled and could not reproduce the error. I will say, Core Isolation seems to slow down several things on my system, including installing DefenderUI Pro. It always seems to work in the end, but it certainly slows things down considerably.

Sure, we can maybe create a whitelist viewer / editor. I will start working on it when I have time, hopefully in a month or two, thank you!

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I will say, Core Isolation seems to slow down several things on my system, including installing DefenderUI Pro.
Since you mentioned the system drag and I was testing HC (Max settings) and later DefenderUI Pro (agressive + dynamic postures) anyway I just did a quick speed check for opening Firefox (with apptimer).
HC was uninstalled the way like I posted before then DefenderUI Pro installed. Memory Integrity was on for both.
3.jpg
Since I was doing the test for my own curiosity anyways I just wanted to share my results with you.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Since you mentioned the system drag and I was testing HC (Max settings) and later DefenderUI Pro (agressive + dynamic postures) anyway I just did a quick speed check for opening Firefox (with apptimer).
HC was uninstalled the way like I posted before then DefenderUI Pro installed. Memory Integrity was on for both.
Since I was doing the test for my own curiosity anyways I just wanted to share my results with you.
Thank you for letting me know! It is actually a good thing that there is a slight delay... this just gives CyberLock more time to lock and load ;). Either way, the differences should be barely noticeable. It would be interesting to run this test with many different security products.

I tested as well, here are the results on my machine. Thank you!

CyberLock not running

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe - 1 executions

CyberLock AlwaysON Mode

CyberLock Smart Mode

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

:) When I see these results, I ask myself, why don't I buy an upgrade kit (I am in the 1,5 secs and 2.0 secs startup range) . Somehow the idea of dumping something what is still working holds me against this. But I just decided that when Windows10 goes EOL, I will buy an upgrade kit no, even when this old PC is still running (yes I also got an 14 year 1K TV :) Maybe it I treat myself on a 4K or 8K TV also in october 2024).

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
:) When I see these results, I ask myself, why don't I buy an upgrade kit (I am in the 1,5 secs and 2.0 secs startup range) . Somehow the idea of dumping something what is still working holds me against this. But I just decided that when Windows10 goes EOL, I will buy an upgrade kit no, even when this old PC is still running (yes I also got an 14 year 1K TV :) Maybe it I treat myself on a 4K or 8K TV also in october 2024).
My main computer is over 3 years old, and I usually keep them for at least 6 or so. My secondary computer is 11 years old, but it is still working great. Years ago it made sense to upgrade every 2-3 years, but computers are fast enough that is no longer necessary, in my opinion. I keep my phones for 5-7 years as well ;).

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
My main computer is over 3 years old, and I usually keep them for at least 6 or so. My secondary computer is 11 years old, but it is still working great. Years ago it made sense to upgrade every 2-3 years, but computers are fast enough that is no longer necessary, in my opinion. I keep my phones for 5-7 years as well ;).
My 12 year old desktop ( 12 gb ram) with a 3 year old SSD is still lightning fast ( boots in under 15 seconds) and works way better than my 3 year old laptop ( 8 gb ram). Did I ever mention, I hate laptops. 😠

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
..It is actually a good thing that there is a slight delay... this just gives CyberLock more time to lock and load ;). Either way, the differences should be barely noticeable. It would be interesting to run this test with many different security products.
While your numbers are small it shows that Cyberlock more than quadruple the time till Firefox is started on your example. I agree it would be really interesting to see other security products (and maybe also on older hardware).
Disclaimer: Since I'm always switching between HC and CL depending on pc and mood I'm biased for both ;)

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I've been having a strange issue and I'm not sure if it's related to DefenderUI pro or not, but I've done everything I know of to rectify it and haven't been able to. Right after installing DefenderUI on my Windows 11 system, Windows Security no longer shows itself in my system tray. Not only that, if I manually start Windows security the virus and malware scanner portion is completely gone. Nothing I do brings either back. I understand that DefenderUI can hide these options. But I made sure that these hide options were disabled.
I have also tried gpedit, sfc, dism, regedit entries, reset and repaired Windows Security, all to bring these two things back. Even reimaging to an earlier time does nothing. Nothing has worked and I'm not sure what to do.
The timing of this suggests it is DefenderUI, but it could also be a fubared Windows update. I unistalled Cyberlock because I wanted to test DefenderUI Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Baring a repair install I'm out of ideas. Has this happened to anyone?

Last edited:

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Guys, quick question:
The pro version is what you get after donating?
In Dan's website there is only the free version available for download.
For the record, I have been using the free version along Cyberlock for quite some time and I want to know how I can use the Pro version on another PC.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021

Yeah. It turns out I was wrong about DefenderUI. Despite the timing, it was not the cause of my issue. For information's sake, I'll tell you what I did.

I was having a problem opening secpol.msc. When I tried I got an error that says I tried to access a token that does not exist. In research that error, which is quite common btw, I came across multiple guides that said I could fix the error by running "for /f %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s" in the command prompt as admin. This is true. secpol.msc now worked correctly, as intended. However, that command caused my error. Nothing could fix it except imaging back a month, to before I ran that command. Windows security works fine now. And I solved my secpol.msc issue by pointing it to another mmc.exe I created, with the snap-ins reflecting what was supposed to be in secpol.msc.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.