Advice Request [Discuss] Recommendation for Which Ports and Windows Services should be blocked via Windows Firewall?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 85911

do not be the type of person that obsesses if Windows is broke in some unknown, hidden way and weakening your security
that is needless worries

Reactions: DDE_Server

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
By the way it is broken now :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
IMG20200223230524.jpg

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
this is always the risk of tweaking
notice "What failed: tcpip.sys"

just because Microsoft makes all of it tweakable does not mean it will work once you tweak it
first rule of Windows
it was an update issue the system reboot with updating process completion not because Windows firewall rule i think

F

ForgottenSeer 85911

it was an update issue the system reboot with updating process completion not because Windows firewall rule i think

you cannot know accurately unless you collect memory dump and provide it to someone with the symbol files for dump analysis
what crashed app is not always accruate
also what the OS displays on the BSOD screen is not always accurate

• +Reputation
F

ForgottenSeer 85911

here is what alexandru (WFC dev) uses as his WF rule set
notice what is only allowed are

browser
DNS
printer (local network)

notice he has a rule for Windows Update but it is temporarily disabled
he deletes everything else
and he does not torrent i wonder why ? :unsure:

this is all that he needs to use his system
he likely using static ip address for his system
you would have to ask him how he has router configured

you can ask karly pados (TinyWall dev) and Alexandru (WFC dev) about the services you speak and different firewall strategies for all the crap Microsoft ships with Windows they both helpful on subject matter

ruleset.png

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
here is what alexandru (WFC dev) uses as his WF rule set
notice what is only allowed are

browser
DNS
printer (local network)

notice he has a rule for Windows Update but it is temporarily disabled

this is all that he needs to use his system

you can ask karly pados (TinyWall dev) and Alexandru (WFC dev) about the services you speak and different firewall strategies for all the crap Microsoft ships with Windows

View attachment 233957
i wiped all outbound connections ;) ;) installed Binisoft windows firewall control and whitlisted the needed programs
but what about this it keeps popup

1582493289094.png

Reactions: [correlate]
F

ForgottenSeer 85911

i wiped all outbound connections ;) ;) installed Binisoft windows firewall control and whitlisted the needed programs
but what about this it keeps popup

View attachment 233958

so you are already done trying to learn and configure Windows Firewall for yourself ? :unsure:
FYI alexandru's rules are going to block networking for all your installed apps
his rules only allow browser and skype apps
you can disable IGMP

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.