64-bit operating system; x64-based processor
    Security Updates
    Automatic Updates (recommended)
    User Access Control
    Always Notify
    Network Security (Firewall)
    Windows Defender Firewall
    Device Security
  • Windows Defender SmartScreen (Windows 10)
  • User Account
    Administrator
    Sign-in Accounts
    Microsoft (@outlook.com)
    Sign-in Options
  • Password
  • Windows Hello PIN (recommended)
  • Windows Hello Fingerprint
  • Malware Testing
    I do not participate in downloading malware samples
    Real-time Web & Malware Protection
    Windows Defender and Hard_Configurator beta ver. 4.1.1.1
    RTP - Custom security settings
  • Major changes for Increased security
  • RTP - Details of Custom security settings
    Removed Internet Explorer 11.
    Hard_Configurator Beta 4.1.1.1 with Windows 10 Recommended Enhanced profile.
    ConfigureDefender 2.0.1.0 at High protection level.
    FirewallHardening 1.0.1.0 added Recommended H_C.
    Exploit Protection for Edge Dev (App & Browser Control of Windows Defender).

I enabled Windows Defender Sandbox by running:
    Code:
    setx /M MP_FORCE_USE_SANDBOX 1
    Virus and Malware Removal Tools
    HitmanPro, Zemana AntiMalware and AdwCleaner (for the kids)
    Browsers and Extensions
    Microsoft Edge Dev with uBlock Origin, Bitdefender TrafficLight and Bitwarden
    Google Chrome with uBlock Origin, Bitdefender TrafficLight and Bitwarden
    Privacy-focused Apps and Extensions
    uBlock 0rigin in Medium mode for Lighter and Stronger Protection, with Less websites breakage and hassle:
    Discuss - uBlock0rigin in Medium mode for Lighter and Stronger Protection, with Less websites breakage and hassle
    Password Managers
  • Bitwarden
  • Web Search
  • Google
  • System Utilities
    O&O ShutUp10, Patch My PC, Autoruns, CCleaner Pro, HDCleaner and Disk Cleanup
    Data Backup
    OneDrive, File History
    Frequency of Data backups
    Always-on Sync
    System Backup
    Windows system image
    Frequency of System backups
    Occasionally
    Computer Activity
  • Online banking
  • Browsing web and email
  • Watch movies and other entertainment content on the Internet
  • Shared device is used by family members
  • Office and work related tasks
  • Video or photography editing
  • Computer Specifications
    Acer Aspire VN7-791G-576X
    Intel Core i5-4210H
    Intel HD Graphics 4600 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
    Kingston 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3 PC3-12800 RAM
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 250GB
    Seagate HDD ST1000LM014-1EJ164 1TB
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 20
    Verified
    I'm thinking of changing AV again.
    This time it's going to be Ziggo Safe Online 17.4 (= F-Secure).
    Free for me from my ISP and better with malicious and phishing urls.

For myself I will combine it with Hard Configurator from @Andy Ful .

For my kids and older relatives I'm thinking about combining Ziggo Safe Online with SysHardener from @NoVirusThanks
    Will that be enough protection or do i also need to add something like OSArmor?

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Level 45
    Verified
    Trusted
    Content Creator
    I'm thinking of changing AV again.
    This time it's going to be Ziggo Safe Online 17.4 (= F-Secure).
    Free for me from my ISP and better with malicious and phishing urls.

For myself I will combine it with Hard Configurator from @Andy Ful .

For my kids and older relatives I'm thinking about combining Ziggo Safe Online with SysHardener from @NoVirusThanks
    Will that be enough protection or do i also need to add something like OSArmor?
    Do your kids use Admin account or SUA?

Windows_Security

Level 23
    Verified
    Trusted
    Content Creator
    I would opt for the same setup every where. With Hard Configurator Software Restriction Policies installed except for Administrators, all updates and (richt click admin) installs won't be blocked. I use this and fine tune it on my own PC, until zero problems (chrome update works etc) and then copy it to other PC's. I use SysHardener and Hard_Configurator together (because HC is not signed and I also set UAC to block elevation of unsigned). They both dont eat CPU cycles. On my Windows 7 Desktop I used Ziggo's F-secure version for a while, worked fine with both.

Andy Ful

Level 45
    Verified
    Trusted
    Content Creator
    The children install games frequently, which like to install/update in the UserSpace. This requires more attention & work & skill from parents, when using H_C default deny-setup, because the parents have to install some games and applications. On the other side, this is also much safer, than using restricted default-allow setup. The best solution is using a gaming platform like Steam, because the games are installed/updated in one folder, that can be whitelisted.
    'AV + SysHardener' is pretty good as a starting setup. If Gandalf_The_Grey will master H_C and will still like it, then he will know which setup will be the best for children. :giggle:

Andy Ful

Level 45
    Verified
    Trusted
    Content Creator
    Thanks to @Windows_Security @Andy Ful and @shmu26 I have accepted the challenge and changed my security config for myself and my kids to Hard Configurator and Ziggo Safe online (= F-Secure Safe). :D
    The updated AdGuard browser extension is helped by I don't care about cookies and Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 DNS.
    Please let me know, if you will encounter difficulties.:giggle:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 20
    Verified
    Removed Ziggo Safe Online because it's banking protection locked me out of a banking site.
    Back to Emsisoft Anti-Malware and thinking about, but not sure just going for Windows Defender.
    Finally removed CCleaner due to lost trust since Avast took over:
    CCleaner Free update introduces Tools menu Popup annoyance - gHacks Tech News
    Added PrivaZer Donors version and Autoruns to compensate the loss of CCleaner.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 20
    Verified
    Removed Hard Configurator: too much trouble for me when updating, installing and removing software on 3 laptops.
    Kept it on the systems of my mother and mother in law because they have a more static config.
    Removed the AdGuard extension because uBlock Origin simply does a better job.
    Removed PrivaZer because it's just too slow.
    Added back CCleaner Pro 5.56.003 Beta, because it's simply the best progran for me.
    The last 2 stable versions have a problem cleaning Google Chrome cookies (known issue on some systems).
    Solved in the latest beta build.

So my config is now Kaspersky Security Cloud Free with NoVirusThanks OSArmor and as adblocker uBlock Origin.

Also trying out the new Microsoft Edge version 74.1.96.24 (Official build) dev (64-bit).
    Liking it a lot. Faster than Google Chrome stable version 73.0.3683.103.

Last edited:

stefanos

Level 22
    Verified
    Removed Hard Configurator: too much trouble for me when updating, installing and removing software on 3 laptops.
    Kept it on the systems of my mother and mother in law because they have a more static config.
    Removed the AdGuard extension because uBlock Origin simply does a better job.
    Removed PrivaZer because it's just too slow.
    Added back CCleaner Pro 5.56.003 Beta, because it's simply the best progran for me.
    The last 2 stable versions have a problem cleaning Google Chrome cookies (known issue on some systems).
    Solved in the latest beta build.

So my config is now Kaspersky Security Cloud Free with NoVirusThanks OSArmor and as adblocker uBlock Origin.

Also trying out the new Microsoft Edge version 74.1.96.24 (Official build) dev (64-bit).
    Liking it a lot. Faster than Google Chrome stable version 73.0.3683.103.
    Agree with you for Ccleaner (y)(y)

Moonhorse

Level 26
    Verified
    Content Creator
    PrivaZer is a comparative snail. It does use Windows modules like Disk Cleanup, I wonder if that's partly the reason.
    I always read your configurations, they're so neat and clean. :cool:

First scan of privazer is slow indeed, but after that its much faster....i usually just run privazer once a week before going bed...it takes around 5-10 minutes and shut downs pc automatically after

If the browser cleanup is only reason to run privazer, there is the browser clean up wich takes as long as ccleaner default scan

With privazer its just much harder to recover deleted items, so i wouldnt run it daily..set up weekly clean up or something...with ccleaner i always ended up cleaning before i shut down pc

Reactions: plat1098